Sunday, June 12, 2022

Hand Quilt Along, Slow Sunday Stitching

Another three weeks have passed since the last check-in for the Hand Quilt Along.  I haven't really done much in the way of handwork in the past three weeks.  

I have been working on clearing out/cleaning up the garage as I have accepted the position as co-chair of the Community Service in my quilt guild.  This will involve storing bins of fabric and supplies that we use to make community service quilts.  

The garage was my husband's workshop for probably 35 years.  I have been slowly selling/getting rid of tools, wood, etc. When John passed away last year, the garage was filled 3/4 full with all his stuff, and sawdust was in the corners just like he left it.  I have some tools for my personal use, but not the big heavy woodworking tools.  Last Saturday I had pretty much taken care of everything so I blew out the rafters of sawdust and cobwebs.  I had purchased a mat to go across part of the garage.  The floor is filled with dried glue blobs and paint when he made his projects.  So the mat covers the part the Community Service supplies will go on.  The guild has metal shelves that will come over to my house too.  When I accepted the position, I said I would be finished by the end of July.  Since I am done, Joanne whose position I am taking wants to move the stuff over in two weeks after the next workday at her house.  So I am ready.  Here is my cleaned out garage. 


One hand sewing project was the binding on Cali's graduation quilt.  She is my grandson Jaeger's girlfriend.  I attended the graduation party at her house last Saturday with her friends and family.  I met her great-grandmother who is a delightful character.  

This was the quilt I made Cali and the label.  She loves elephants and I found an elephant panel.





I had quite a busy week last week, with the guild board meeting, a workday at the library right across the street from my home.  We pin baste community service quilts so they will be ready to pass out the guild meeting next week, or the work day at the end of the month.  

Friday I had my mini quilt group where we do handwork and chat, a lot!   I worked on one of my Ella Maria Deacon blocks.  This will be what I will be hand stitching this week.



Check out the other Hand Quilt Along Links below.

Hand Quilt Along Links

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanetteSharonKarrinDaisy and Tracy

I will also be linking up for Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Head on over there and check out what others are up to!  

My brother Bill and SIL Char are here for a few days, on their way to Oregon, and they came bearing gifts.  My brother took John's lathe, which started him off on his woodturning adventure.  He has been making beautifully turned bowls, platters, and other items.  He is up to over 100 pieces.  

Bill made this platter for me and Char decorated it with this gnome, and created cute little hats for every month of the year.  They are held on by magnets.  She also created the little gnome out of a mushroom bought at the dollar store.


This little bowl had defects in the wood, but I think it gives it character.  Bill has such beautiful finishes to all his wood pieces, you just keep wanting to run your hands over them.



When Char and I took apart John's last boat last year, Char took home several of the portholes and said she was going to create something out of them.  It took several of them to put together this piece.  She wrapped it all with twine, and inserted a picture of us sailing.  






Thanks for stopping by!


18 comments:

  1. Beautiful applique block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garage looks amazing, Karrin! What a big job! But it does look like a good space for the guild supplies. I love the elephant quilt - such pretty blues and greens! I hope Cali likes it, too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great work on the garage! you sure have been cleaning up a storm and that space now will be of good use and the tools no longer in use to good homes for others to use. I hand quilt of course but do not belong to that group have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The garage looks fabulous! As does the graduation quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the garage. Your graduation quilt looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work at the garage, Karrin Now the space is ready for a good use.
    Cali's graduation quilt is beautiful. Her smile shows how much she appreciatted your gift.
    Have a great week and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The garage looks wonderful! I'm sure it feels good to have it so clean. Calli's graduation quilt is so pretty. The items your brother and SIL made are very special. He's made good use of the lathe. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The garage, the Gnome, and the Graduation quilt, you have been very industrious, and good to have that space all ready. It sounds like John's lathe has been busy, there is something special about a bowl made by hand, rather than the mass produced ones you see in touristy shops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:51 AM

    Cleaning out the garage has been a huge job. You must be so glad to have that job off your list! Nice gift for Cali and I love the bowls you received as well

    Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have quite a creative family. That woodworking is beautiful. I love what your SIL did with the portholes. That quilt for your grandson's girlfriend is wonderful. I like your handwork piece also. As for your garage....well done! That was quite and undertaking to clean it all out. I am sure it helped to have the motivation of the quilt guild position. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nice, large garage which should holds lots of quilty stuff. You did a nice job getting the garage ready. Love the sailboart photo frame. Lovely applique block as well as the gifted quilt. Best wishes on the new quilt guild position.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karrin ~ you did a great job cleaning out the garage. I am sure it was quite a big job. Now it's ready for it's next assignment. You did a beautiful job on the elephant quilt for Cali. I love it, such a wonderful gift - I know she must have loved it. What a treasure the port hole picture frame is :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Karrin - loved your posting ~ for the sake of not repeating what I wrote ~ having a problem posting and thinking this may be a double comment and my original comment has actually posted - hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  14. It would have been hard and filled with memories, but I'll bet you're glad it's done now. The garage clear out has given you so much space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your garage looks fabulous, Karrin. You have been working very hard in getting it reading for all the fabric to move in. =) How lovely is the porthole frame. Gosh winding the rope around would've taken an age. Love the photo of you and John smiling within it. Your brother and sister-in-law's gifts to you are beautiful. They are both so talented. Cali's quilt turned out wonderfully and doesn't she look happy to have her quilted elephants all stitched. Just a little aside, love, the five little gnomes in you header....so, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Nice clean up job! Enjoyed your post .😍

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cali’s quilt turned out so pretty! Your Ella Mae Duncan blocks are always so nice, any idea how far along you are with that project?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, thought I had put a comment on this one, but here goes. Love the garage clean up! I am sure you will enjoy! The quilt for Calli is a beauty. What a wonderful memory of you and John! Hugs

    ReplyDelete