Saturday, September 29, 2012


After all the home renovations, when I didn't have time to stitch, I decided to catch up with my TAST stitches.

This sample incorporates:

Pekinese Stitch
Double linked Chain
Sheaf Stitch
Knotted Buttonhole and
Drizzle Stitch

Glad to be caught up


After 2 weeks of peeling off the old wallpaper, and on the 14' wide wall 2 layers of wallpaper, I was able to paint it a nice shade of soft blue and I was so happy to have my portion of this project done.

The shade of blue goes quite beautifully with my dresser/doll cabinet and night stand that John made for me, and which I had painted and stenciled.

 It was really exciting to be able to bring in the new headboard.

And to finally see the assembly of the bed coming together.

The last picture is the bed all assembled and it is really nice.  I have plenty of storage, still have 4 drawers
on each side, and a nice little compartment for storage at the foot of the bed.  I still need to hang some pictures, and I love the wall space I didn't have before.  I really, really need to finish my new quilt which will complement my walls.

This is my 300th post, and as I mentioned before I would be having a giveaway.  One of my daughters will choose a name on my birthday, October 12th.  If you are 1 of the 4 people who entered before, I still have your names.  I will be completing another CQ accessory case as the gift.  If you would like to be entered in the drawing please leave a comment on this post.  If you are an anonymous no-reply commenter, I will need a way to contact you if you win.

Thursday, September 06, 2012


My Work in Progress Wednesday this week has nothing to do with stitching, as Sharon B's  has done.

What I worked on my past 2 days off was my bedroom.  DH build this bed in the 70's.  It was a waterbed up until about 4 years ago and since has had a Tempur-pedic mattress in it.

I have always used a stool to get in my side, which doesn't bother me at all.  But John has had more difficulty getting in it as he has shrunk a bit in the past couple of years.  So he has been in the process of building a newer, lower bed.

And it is finished, and he began the process of dismantling the old bed.

My plan, when the new bed was finished, and I could get behind it
was to rip the navy wallpaper down, and paint that wall.
I started ripping the wallpaper down, and discovered (or remembered), I had had some wallpaper on this wall before I put up the navy stuff, and apparently when I ripped the other stuff off, the backing was still in place and I just wallpapered over it.  The first wallpaper was pasted down, so I am having to get that off too to get to bare wall.  I probably did 2 feet, of this 14 foot wall yesterday.  It is going slower than I thought.

John got all the bed dismantled, except this headboard section which he will work on while I am at work today.  He was pretty worn out yesterday though.

Right now our mattress is in the dining room, so I need to get going on this.  Guess what I will be doing after work!

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

August Block-CQJP

I finished my August CQJP yesterday and this one has a lot of meaning for me.  But first an explanation.  My girls were about 4 and 5 in this block.  When they were little, I had their rooms papered in in Holly Hobby wallpaper.  I STILL love Holly Hobby!

When some fabric came out a couple of years ago, I bought some, planning to make a quilt one day.

My dear mother-in-law made both girls quilts.  This is my oldest daughter's quilt.  They were finished in March of 1980, so are 32 years old.   I had shown a picture from a magazine to DMIL, all it had was the center figure in it and she designed the rest.  The large Holly Hobby used to have a pocket on her dress, where DMIL designed a little dolly that fit in the pocket, who also had a bonnet.

My youngest daughter's quilt was stolen from her by her roommate as Katie was moving out, who stated it was hers.  Even though the back was labeled and said "To Katie From Grandmother Hurd, March 1980".

Anyway, this is my August block for CQJP.  On a recent order from Liz of Gypsy Feather, who is currently on vacation, she sent along with my order the little Holly Hobby motif in the left corner.  I dyed it but wasn't getting the effect I wanted, so I ended up embroidering most of it to look more like the Holly Hobby Fabric.  Right below that, and to the right is the bonnet of the doll that used to fit in the quilt pocket which I found recently while looking through a stash of some trims I had.