Sunday, November 14, 2021

No Ring November Mug Rug Blog Hop, My Day

 


Today is the start of the No Ring November Mug Rug Blog Hop.  Many thanks to Carla @ Creatin in the Sticks for another fun blog hop!   The entire schedule for the hop is listed below.

When I was first thinking about what to make, I decided I wanted to use my embroidery machine to make some motifs and make them into mug rugs or snack mats.  I remembered I had stitched one out last year, and decided I didn't like it.  I pulled it out, and I couldn't remember what was wrong with it, and just folded over the back to make a binding.  One tiny UFO out of my long list!  In this picture the sashing looks a little wonky, maybe that was what the problem was.  Last year, before Thanksgiving, my husband took a downhill turn, and I wasn't able finish what I wanted to for Christmas.  I like making little items to put in the stockings.  



Next, on Pinterest I had found a motif I loved.  My daughter Katie loves owls, and I found one similar to this one.  So I went shopping around for motifs and found one with the same saying on it.  One of the places I find my embroidery motifs is at Embroidery Library.    I also had some owl fabric left from a project and used that as a backing.  I did the quilting in the background.  




Katie and the kids came over on Veteran's day, the next day, and I couldn't resist giving it to her.  She told me I had made her one last year with an owl on it.  I told her she was REALLY going to love this one, and she did!

She even took a picture on her desk at work!  


The next mug rug/snack mat I made was for my stepdaughter Dawn.  Dawn loves sea turtles, so I found a line drawing of a turtle and appliqued this one.  I had some leftover turtle fabric from a pillow I had made her for her birthday so I used that for the back.  




The last one I made was a gnome.  I have been on a gnome kick lately.  In all the years I have had embroidery machines, I have never done an embroidery/applique one. I have always avoided them, but wanted to learn.  I know that Accuquilt has some embroidery for their applique dies, and I wanted to know how to make them.  So I watched some videos, and this is my first one.   This is more of a snack mat size.  



Be sure and check out the other bloggers for this hop below.  And again, thanks so much Carla@ Creatin in the Sticks, this was fun, and I learned a few things too!

33 comments:

  1. They are all so cute Karrin! And I love the story that goes with each one of them :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every one of your mug rugs is wonderful! I love the quilting on the turtle and owl, especially. You made great use of fabrics in your stash too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute mug rugs. I need to learn how to do applique on my embroidery machine too. Also great way to use up projects that didn't turn out just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful collection of mug rugs! I really love the turtle one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your embroidery and your mug rugs are great! My mom just recently inherited an embroidery machine and her and I need to try and figure it out! We have no idea what we are doing haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fun, I love gifting mug rugs because they are so quick to make up and just darn cute! Thanks for sharing the embroidery link! I'm checking them out next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your embroidery mug rugs are just the cutest. I love the owl, but that sea turtle is really cool as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karrin, these are all adorable, but I think my favorite is that gnome!! He is just the cutest!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MaryEllen6:21 AM

    Thanks for sharing. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so cute, Karrin - a great way to try different designs on your embroidery machine! I especially like the owl and turtle mug rugs and their matching backing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many cute mug rugs! The gnome is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely collection of rugs. Thankfully we don't have to pick the one we like the best because I don't think I could all are great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your mug rugs are adorable. so pretty and when I look at them I ask "do I want to use them and mess them up?" LOL thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mug rugs are great. I don't have an embroidery machine, but I have seen so many nice designs and can see how you could embroider so many things with your machine. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fun to use your embroidery machine for fun gifts! I especially like the Owl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great mug rugs. I love how the fronts and backs are matching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute mug rugs, Karrin. I like all of them but the owl... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such cute mug rugs, Karrin! I love that you personalized the gifts with their favorite things. Sweet! Since I've been on a gnome kick, too, that guy rings my bell for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your gnome is adorable! I never was into the gnomes but are growing on me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice mug rugs. I really like the hummingbird design.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute mug rugs!!! Love the gnome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They're all so neat and different! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous mug rugs. Love, love, love Mr Gnome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The gnome with antlers is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are adorable! I had that owl fabric once.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Owl Mug Rug is the cutest. Loved the saying. Your quilting is excellent as well as the color of thread you used.

    ReplyDelete
  27. All are super cute. They do make great gifts for children. I am also on a "gnome kick" lately too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your mug rugs They are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very cute mugs rugs! I love making theme on my embroidery machine as they make great gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love all your creative mug rugs. Who wouldn't smile using any of these they are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love all of these. Perfect for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sew many fun versions of mug rugs - one for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the cute mug rugs especially the Owl. I'm am called Owl at Guides so really ought to make myself an owl mug rug to use when we go on a residential event.

    ReplyDelete