Saturday, November 06, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

It's been another busy week, a lot of driving around.  Monday I went out to Lowe's looking for the paint cards for Bonnie Hunter's mystery starting the day after Thanksgiving called Rhododendron Trail.   I ended up going to two Lowe's to get 4 cards!  This is the first year I haven't met other quilters at the paint chip section.  

My son-in-law John needed a ride to the airport really early on Thursday morning, so I was at their house at 4:45 am.  I don't usually use an alarm, I just wake up.  But I was worried about not waking up, so tried to set an alarm on my I-phone for 3:45.  First they wanted you to sign into a Health app, and told me I was not getting enough sleep.  I finally set an alarm on my I-pad but was worried about missing it, so I was awake off and on most of the night.  That day I tried to nap, but not able to.  Got a headache, and sort of felt like a zombie the rest of the day.

Meanwhile this week, I got most of a quilt quilted on my new Handi Quilter Moxie but then something got stuck, and I yanked the carriage, and did this.  I am holding a cable that attaches to the back of the machine, and hooks into one of the stitch controllers on the back of the machine.  I apparently sheered off the connection, so I am currently awaiting a new cord and stitch regulator.  I need to figure out what keeps getting caught on the back of the table so I don't do this again.


Meanwhile I have been a chauffer for grandson John this week.  Apparently someone at Adventure Club (after school program) tested positive for COVID.  Because Klara had COVID earlier this year, she got to still attend Adventure Club.  Because John didn't, he could go to school, but not Adventure Club before he got tested again.  So I had to pick him up after school two days and drop him off at home.  

My old Bernina was finally finished with its servicing after 6 weeks, and I was able to bring it home again.  This is the one I like to quilt on.  I decided that since the Moxie was out of commission, and since I had signed up for another machine quilting class next year, I needed to graduate from the one I started last Fall.  This was the Free Motion Academy by HollyAnne Knight @String and Story.com.   I was supposed to graduate last December, but John started going downhill last November, then had all the therapies coming in, and it just didn't get done.  I had planned to graduate in the Spring class, but that didn't happen either, and then John passed away and I couldn't even think about it.

I plan to graduate with this fall cohort.  The two requirements for graduation are a sampler with the 30 motifs quilted on.  The other requirement is a whole cloth quilt, the size of a FQ.  My sampler had 25 motifs stitched on it.  So I spent the week watching the last 5 videos again, spent time doodling them, practice stitching them, and then stitched them on my sampler.  Now all I have to do is figure out what I'm going to do on my whole cloth quilt.  




My daughter and tall grandson Keaton came to take me to dinner tonight, so I had him hold it up so I could get a better picture outside.  

I have signed up for a class by Karlee Porter early next year on Graffiti Quilting and want to have graduated from the Free Motion Academy.  

What I will be working on for my Slow Sunday Stitching is stitching the binding down on my sampler quilt.  I will be linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and see what everyone has been up to!

Thanks for stopping by!  


11 comments:

  1. Great job on the sampler quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited about you graduating soon and learning so much I’m sure in the process… Holly Anne is definitely a vibrant personality to learn from!! I have watched her in the past on YouTube I think ;). Your sampler quilt turned out amazing and I will be surprised if you don’t pet on the designs some as you bind it this week! Karrin I am so glad you are so upbeat these days too! I hope the replacement cord and stitch regulator come soon… maybe they won’t come Usps! It took me 5 days to get a get well card from my sis in law!!!
    Have a great week ahead! Do you have plans for thanksgiving? Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilting on the sampler top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sampler quilt in all those pretty blues, and your quilting looks amazing! I hope it doesn't take too long for those parts to come for your Handiquilter, though. I'm sure you will get even better with your quilting using that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have had a busy week! Glad you managed to add five more quilt patterns to your sampler. Thirty different patterns is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, it's all happening at 'Karrin's Crazy World'! =) You need more hours in your day, lovely Karrin. I never sleep when I need to be at the airport at a given time. I am always nervous I will sleep in. Your sampler quilt is looking amazing. All those quilting designs look fabulous. Aah....machines...why do they always seem to present hurdles. I hope you get it sorted soon. Have a great new week. I hope you find time to put your feet up and enjoy a little stitching♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sampler quilt and beautiful quilting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karrin, the quilting on your quilt is gorgeous ... just gorgeous!! And how nice to have a helper to hold it up for you like that!! Especially one that takes you out to dinner, to boot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, lots happening!! I hope you get your new part soon and figure out what went wrong.. glad your Bernina is back, and love your quilting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karrin, my dear, you have been busy. That was too bad to have that bit come off like that. So many ins and outs to get things fixed up again. You have been a marvelous student of machine quilting and certainly deserve your graduation. I like to read of your plans as well. I too am helping drive older grandson...have to pick him up three times a week but I don't mind as I don't see him much otherwise.

    ReplyDelete