Sunday, May 29, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching, Busy Week

It has been a busy week for me, a lot of physical work.  I was waiting for my COVID test to turn negative, and restricted to the house, even though I have had no symptoms.  Happy now I am negative.  

I have spent every day for the past week working in the garage, cleaning it out, so that when I take over the co-chair position of Community Service in my guild, I will have a place to put the metal shelves, with the bins full of fabric for our community quilts, backings, bindings etc.  Our garage was always John's woodworking shop.  I never really parked in there, it just held tools and wood.  

Anyway this past week I was able to uncover the planer and parts, and one of the guys that came to my garage sale last month left a note on my door he was still interested.  So I sold that, and the band saw, plus I gave him a belt sander that had issues.  

One day this week grandson Jaeger came over and helped me get all the odds and ends out of the garage rafters strips of wood, foam from cushions John made for the boats, and various other "stuff" I no longer need.  

We set out stuff in the side yard wood and junk pile, plus added to the metal pile I had out there including the old boat keel and rudder, broken ladders.  My side yard looked like this.





Friday afternoon some metal recyclers came and picked up the metal pile and gave me a little bit of cash, and somehow in the process, I ended up taking an order a baby quilt for the one of the guys new baby girl.  I explained I had 3 graduation quilts to finish first, but they didn't care.  

Saturday morning a junk guy came and picked up the junk pile, plus an old BBQ that didn't work.  

Since the wood and stuff is out of the rafters what I am working on now is getting the cobwebs and sawdust out of the rafters.  I also had this table to go through, in which John had dozens of bottles and peanut jars of nails, screws and other things, just random stuff.  I decided to put everything in a box and put it out for the metal guys.  



In the afternoons, when I feel up to it I have been trying to work on two projects.  One is a graduation small quilt.  She likes elephants, and the color blue.  I found this panel, and am going to surround it with Goose Tracks blocks.  I cut them all out on my Accuquilt.  This is Jaeger and Cali.  He came home from college one weekend to take her to her high school prom.

I need to have this done next weekend for Cali's graduation party/dinner.  



Another thing I am working on is my brother's Lighthouse quilt.  I plan to put Storm at Sea Blocks all around.  When I was working on it last week, I found that I had not not cut enough parts out for the 22 blocks I need to have done for the perimeter.  I had hoped to have the top when my brother comes up on June 11th to show them, but I don't think that is going to happen.


What I will be working on this week for Slow Sunday Stitching is my friend Jandra's Boho Bag.  I would like to get this done.  



I will be linking up for Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Head on over and check out what everyone is up to.  

Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. it sounds like you are doing ok and getting that garage cleaned out is a good step to take - you will have a space to park your car in bad weather and other people are using things that are no longer needed. Glad covid didn't make you sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are testing negative and didn't suffer any symptoms! Good job clearing the garage out (very satisfying) I love that panel btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make my head spin with how busy you are! The CQ is looking fantastic! Now I am feeling the need to get out some crazy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy! It's so great that you can find people to take everything you've pulled out of the garage and put it to use. It's a lot of work, but will be worth it in the end. The graduation quilt looks like a fun project, and one that your grandson's friend will love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've been very busy both cleaning out and sewing. I bet your garage looks much cleaner. I like the elephant panel. You sure have a lot of quilting in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly have been staying busy. I am sure that there were mixed emotions as you cleaned the garage. I hope that you have a lovely week. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did have a busy week! That is a lot of stuff to go through and move on…bittersweet, too. I admire you for taking on the guild supply of community service things. I know we finally got storage so it didn't have to be reliant on people's basements. You are a saint! Good luck getting those quilts done too. I hate when I mis-calculate the pieces I need…one of my pet peeves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clearing out your hubby's garage must be quite emotional for you, all those memories of his pottering around. I hope you are getting advise about which things are valuable, so you get a little something back.
    Your two quilt projects look nice, I'll be interested to see how the elephant panel evolved,ves, and you are coming along well with the lighthouse top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting through the garage clean up is a big job and difficult too? You have done so well this first Karrin, I am inspired at your tenacity and ability to do those hard things with a willing spirit. It will be lovely to have another big job finished up, and to be ready to take on the storage of the charity stuff. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete