Monday, September 24, 2018

I'm joining Patty again at Elm Street Quilts in linking up my finish in the One Monthly Goal.

My One Monthly Goal for September  was to get the blocks of my 18-year-old UFO BOM Time Began in a Garden together.  I was happy to be able to do this. 

The next step, and finish in this piece would be to embroider the edges with blanket stitch, and several other stitches.

Unfortunately, as I discovered putting this together, the homespun is disintegrating on the back.  

As you can see in the next picture, the fabric is splitting.  

So I am at a dilemma on what to do next.  The front is not disintegrating that I can see.  I thought of cutting these all apart, rebinding them, but I am afraid of when sewing it down, it will disintegrate in those spots.

The other thing I thought of was to back it with black interfacing, and then finishing it off.  

The other option is to just leave it as it is and do nothing.  

Any thoughts on what I should do, I'd welcome the input!

Thanks for stopping by


Karrin Hurd said...

I love comments! If you are a no-reply blogger please leave e-mail for me to contact you. I have found recently, that with very few exceptions, everyone is a no-reply blogger

Susan said...

I'm thinking yes to the interfacing and maybe even another back on top of that, just fastened on block corners with pretty buttons and then the edge stitched. It's too beautiful and has too much work in it not to save it. Ypu might call a textile museum and see what they recommend, though.

Quilter Kathy said...

So sorry to hear about that fabric disintegrating after all that work!
I think I would add another fabric as a "false back" and do some hand quilting to attach it to the quilt.
Great job on meeting your One Monthly Goal!

Patty said...

Such a pretty quilt. I think the idea of a false back would work. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

edith csokmay said...

Your garden quilt is gorgeous. Congratulations on making your goal.