Saturday, September 18, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching


This week has flown by with a number of activities.  I can't believe it is time for Slow Sunday Stitching again!  

I had grandson John here until Wednesday and he was able to go back to school on Thursday.  He never had a positive test for COVID, but they made him stay home until 20 days after his mother's diagnosis.  Klara, his sister did have a positive test, a few sniffles, and was able to back to school after Labor Day.

Wednesday I attended a local quilt guild meeting for the first time, and joined, plus one of their mini groups.  I have always wanted to join, but they meet in the mornings, and when I was working I was not able to.  And then after I retired, I was John's caregiver.  I had planned to go, and then hesitated as I was getting a lot of calls about the status of my reverse mortgage. and was going to postpone until next month, but my daughter encouraged me to go, so I did.  I did get several calls while I was at the meeting and I had to step out, but that was OK.  

A lady checking in behind me volunteered to be my mentor and showed me around, and is keeping me updated via email of activities.  I took home a couple of charity projects to complete.  I had a really good time and was glad for the interaction IRL with other quilters.  They even have a group for single women, and get together for lunches.  

Anyway after all this I had to go take care of some business with my mortgage company.  They were giving the reverse mortgage people a hard time about giving information about payoff, mainly because John's name was on the trust deed, not mine.  The house was in the Hurd Family Trust.  I had an affadavit that had been filed with the county reporting John had died, and that I was the trustee of the Hurd Family Trust.  So I had to go up to my mortgage company, take a copy of John's death certificate, the affadavit, the trust information, and have them fax it to another number.  

So I was really discouraged, thought for another week, I would have to wait to sign papers.  But apparently my doing that helped, and they were able to get information because Thursday my loan agent called and said I could sign papers on Friday.  So Friday a notary and my agent came over about 4:45 and we got to work.  There were 190 pages.  I didn't have to sign every page, but we had to go over everything.  Because this is a reverse mortgage you have to sign papers with the lender, and the HUD in duplicate, (US Department of Housing and Urban Development).  There is an insurance policy with HUD that you pay for, if the lender has problems, my loan is guaranteed.  Anyway, notary lady was here until 7:20 last night going over everything.  So the loan should be funded next Wednesday or Thursday.

I think the stars were aligned right this week for me.  First the loan papers were signed.   Next I called roofer people and told them I would have my funds next week. And they are ready to start next week, before our rainy season.  I have to have the solar panels taken down first though.  So called solar people and they said they are working 1 month to 5 weeks out.  I told them the roofers were coming next week, and all of a sudden the service guy told me he had a fall through on Monday, and they would be out on Monday to take them off!

So the night before my papers were signed, I thought I should make a little something for my loan officer I have working with.  She has gone above and beyond trying to get this thing in the works, with difficulties all over.  So I got up Friday morning and thought I would put together a little fall pillow for her.  I cut out the words on my Cricut machine and ironed them on.  I quilted around the leaves.  She was so thrilled.  She said she usually gets wine, but no one has never made her anything!  



Today daughter Katie, granddaughter Klara and I went to the annual local begonia show and sale.  We have gone to this for 11 years now.  Last year there was cancelled because of COVID so we were quite happy to attend again, and I think went a little crazy.  When we first started going, plants were about $5-7.  Two  years ago they were $9.  This year most were $14 except the ones on the sale table were $10.  We went a little crazy.  I need to pot mine tomorrow.  I tend to go for the Begonia Rex the ones with the beautiful leaves.  Katie and I learned that we can attend the meetings monthly and they usually have a speaker and a sale table.  I know I want to start going.  








We usually get the casualties during the winter if it freezes, and in the summer when it is so scorching hot.  I think I only had 2 casualties last year.  Katie and I used to go to a little French Restaurant after the show and have lunch, but apparently they closed in 2020 after the owner had a stroke, so we were disappointed, but ended up having a great brunch at a place I used to meet with friends before work to have breakfast before work.

I am still working on secret projects this week, to be revealed on Thursday at the I'm Falling For You Blog Hop.  I need to finish stitching these words so I can complete this project.  This is what I will be working on for Slow Sunday Stitching.  


I will be linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over there and check out what everyone is up to!  

Thanks for stopping by!


9 comments:

  1. Oh Karrin, what joy to know the bank and all the dignitaries have agreed, the roof will be done before winter, and you have those beautiful leafed plants and a new group to go to. It sounds like your days are going to be easier than for a long time. XX from a cool night down here in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds complicated! Good for you for never giving up on that convoluted process! Hope you can rest and enjoy some slow stitching time today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karrin… I am so happy to read your blog post today and hear that all that drab but necessary financial stuff may now be behind you! Good for you enjoying your family time and joining a quilt guild!!! Wonder if it will take them 6 weeks to return your solar panels back to your roof? At least weather is a bit milder now… maybe your electric bill won’t be too much bigger and the new roof should help insulate better too! Your flowers are all sooo beautiful 🤩… thanks for sharing! I am ready to see these projects and love that pillow you made your loan officer!!!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you got all that paperwork completed. I love those plants. Such unusual and varied leaves. I hope you enjoy your quilt guild and the begonia group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful begonias! Glad you joined a quilt guild you are planning for year.
    Happy Slow Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are getting everything sorted and got to spend some time with the ladies and women in your life, awesome gift, love the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great week, Karrin! Glad things have gone through for your loan, and that pillow you made is a sweet gift for the loan officer. I'm you were able to join the guild, too - so nice to find a group you have so much in common with. The begonias are gorgeous! They must grow well where you live. Have another good week coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belonging to a guild is a great idea for you! You get to meet like minded people and look forward to the monthly meetings. I found taking classes and going on retreats a wonderful way to get to know people better. Lovely pillow. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karrin, I can understand why you went a little crazy! Those are all such gorgeous plants! Looking forward to Thursday. Congratulations on going to the quilt guild and on getting the loan signed!

    ReplyDelete