Sunday, January 08, 2023

Hand Quilt Along, Slow Sunday Stitching

It has been a couple of weeks since I posted.  It was a busy Christmas season with lots of activities and visitors.  My brother Bill and his wife were here but unfortunately had to drive back home on Christmas day due to Bill developing a sore throat.  I gave them their lighthouse quilt while they were here, and they sent a picture of it on their bed.  


My brother Allen, and sister Mary were also visiting and both were delayed going home because of the Southwest cancellations.  Allen took a train/bus back to Southern CA, and Mary was delayed till Friday and flew out on Alaska Airlines to Southern CA.

For Christmas gifts, I made some snack mats for Bill and Char and Mary.  They all have cats and saw the humor.  



I also made everyone ornaments on my embroidery machine.  These were all made in the hoop and were sort of fun to make.  I got them all from Embroidery Library.  

My brother Bill made me some beautiful new bowls with his lathe.  He knows I love the ones with the ragged edges, and spends a lot of time and effort in the work and finishes on all his beautiful pieces.   These are all the pieces he has gifted me with.  




During all the holiday festivities, I received a giveaway of FQ that I had won in the Virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange hosted by Carol @Just Let Me Quilt.  


These FQs were Benartex "Cozy Winter" by Cherry Guidry. 

Right after Christmas I unfortunately came down with a sore throat, and chest cold which sort of got me down for a week.  I tested myself 3 times, and COVID tests were all negative, just a bad cold.  

I put away my Christmas decorations a week earlier than I usually do, I was anxious to get my sewing things back out.  I have still been happily embroidering things.  Some of these designs take up to 90 minutes to stitch out, so I set up my regular Bernina and I can hear when the embroidery machine stops,  to change threads.  


I made this snack mat for my friend's husband.  He was on helicopters in the service.  I used some leftover red, white and blue blocks from another long ago project.  


My daughter Kristen's birthday is coming up the end of the month, and she loves birds.  I received an email from Embroidery Library about a sale.  I saw these and had to buy them.  I have them all stitched out now and I am going to cover some cushions with them.  


What I will be working on by hand for the next two months,  will be to attempt to finish hand quilting my sunflower quilt. Around 2020 Susie Wright @fixer_of_old_old_quilts whom I follow on Instagram announced a #sunflowersewalong.  The original 1863 inspiration block came from the collection of Cathy Erickson @quiltingcat2, who kindly gave us her permission to copy this.  Susie drafted the block to fit an 18" block.  This is done with all Civil War reproduction fabrics.  

My guild sent an email around with applications for our 2023 quilt show.  I would need to get this quilted by the March meeting.  Please check out the other hand quilters and piecers below and check out what they have been doing.  

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.


KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisyConnie, and  Cathie 

 

I also will be linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Be sure and head on over and check out what these bloggers have been up to also.  


Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Karrin, Yes it is always that most busy time of the year.
    You made and receive pretty gifts.
    Happy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wooden bowls that your brother made are gorgeous. I am so sorry that your brother and his wife had to leave early and that your other relatives got caught up with the Southwest debacle. Those cat themed snack mats made me laugh. Enjoy all of your stitching. I hope you can finish the quilting on that pretty quilt in time for your March meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sunflower quilt is so beautiful! I hope you can get the quilting finished in time for the show. Those bowls your brother made are amazing! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday season! Your gifts to others are so pretty and I'm sure everyone was so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:50 AM

    You always have interesting projects on your blog. It is fun to see the gifts that everyone made and received. Handmade gifts are the best. Gail at the Cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such nice gifts you have made. The bird embroideries for your daughter's birthday are so cute, and will be nice to use as cushion covers. Your sunflower quilt is lovely. hope you finish in time. Lovely wooden buns your brother has made for you. happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you're getting lots of use and enjoyment out of your embroidery machine, Karrin! I love those cat designs. So glad you were able to see your extended family around Christmas, even if there were some issues with illness and travel. The sunflower quilt is beautiful - have fun quilting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made and received so many lovely handmade gifts... those bowls are so pretty! Good luck with quilting the sunflowers! It's a great quilt and needs to be in the show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:38 PM

    I am rooting for you to get the sunflower quilt done in time. She is a beauty, and I love the history of it too. I am glad you're feeling better. All your projects are wonderful. I especially love the wooden bowls. He certainly is talented and you're lucky to be gifted these beauties :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy seeing what you have been up to Karrin! The sunflower quilt is a beauty, I’m cheering you on to have it ready for March!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about the cold - no fun! You have been a busy lady and the gifts are so pretty! Have a great week! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was one busy and happy time. The bowls are so beautiful! I think I got your cold. LOL I hope you can finish the sunflower quilting in time for the show. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete