Sunday, May 19, 2024

On the Road Again Blog Hop Challenge Starts Today, My Day

 

May -On The Road Again Logo.jpg


Today is the start of the On The Road Again Blog Hop Challenge, hosted by the fabulous Carol @Just Let Me Quilt.  Thanks so much Carol for the opportunity to participate in another of your fun challenges.

The Challenge: May starts the summer of travel, so where would you like to go?   Make something showing transportation vehicles (cars, planes, buses, etc), summer fun or a place you'd like to travel to.  

When my husband was alive, our adventures always involved sailing or houseboating or toward the end we had a motor home and we had some nice travels with that.  My husband was always a sailor, from the time I first met him in 1972.  In 1975 we sailed from San Diego to Catalina after taking a celestial navigation class.  

When we moved to Northern California he started making sailboats.  He ended up making 7 boats.  

The biggest was a 27 foot, two-masted sailboat which we took all around Northern California with our two daughters, camping on the boat.  









He also made a small little sailboat we could just do day sailing.




Later he built a houseboat we also took all over Northern California.  



For the On the Road Again Challenge, my thought was to make a table runner, because I have never made myself a table runner.  I looked on Embroidery Library and various other places to see if I could find a gnome sailing a boat, but was unable to come up with anything.  

So I found some gnome designs on the road and enjoying themselves in various activities, bicycling, motorcycling, camping, and hiking.  I also cut out "On The Road Again" with my 
Cricut and iron on vinyl. 






Our quilt show was last week, so I was not able to get it quilted, but the top is done.  

Be sure and visit the other bloggers in the challenge, the full list is below.  Thanks again to Carol, this was a fun challenge, and brought back some wonderful memories!


12 comments:

  1. Love the runner, and a huge tribute in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun table runner that's packed with memories! Love all those boats your hubby built!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute runner with the gnomes! I really like your additional Cricut iron on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:27 AM

    What a guy! Marvelous that he made sailboats (and other things), fabulous.Your table runner is wonderful and a perfect way to remember this blog. "On point' blocks are great - seems to make the blocks pop out. Thanks for sharing. LJ here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing all the photos of the boats your husband made and the amazing adventures you had with him in the boats, Karrin! That he could make a boat that actually sailed is a wonderful thing. Your gnome tablerunner is cute as can be, and perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG all of those sailing boats - he did such a good job on those didn't he. Such memories

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, all those sailboats are amazing and what incredible adventures you had! I love those gnome fabric print adventures, too. So cute! Thanks for sharing your road project with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! Lots of sailing! What fun!! Your table runner is great!! And good for you, making it for yourself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sailing adventures sound like great fun to me! Love your cute gnomes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely memories! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a time you two had sailing and traveling. I am in love with the idea of a houseboat, but my husband is not a sailor. You did well finding the Gnomes on the Road! That is a fun tablerunner for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the sailboats, what wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete