Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Best :Laid Plans Set Aside

It looks from my posts this week, that I have been doing nothing...  But I got side-tracked in a different direction.  I had my plans to continue working on my 2018 FAL Q3 goals, and I have been slowly appliquing my Flourishes Block.  I'm down to the top branches.



The week before last my youngest daughter Katie, whose birthday is August 24th told me that what she would like for her birthday is for me to put together her row-by-row blocks we had purchased several different years from a couple of shops.  I haven't even put together my rows yet.  

So that is what I have been working on for the past week or so.  These two mermaids were from the Calico Mermaid in Porterville, CA.  This was from 2015.  We drove 7 hours round trip with a small grandchild to go get these in 1 day,.  The multicolored one is supposed to be mine, but I am putting it in Katie's quilt to balance it out. I have the pattern so I can work on mine later.  We both love mermaids.



The next row was from 2015 from Prarie Queens Quilt Shop which was in San Jose, but it seems is permanently closed.  Katie went with her DMIL one year and collected some rows for me.  This one was called "Do you know the way to San Jose" and it had that written in the green part, but we left that out for the purpose of this quilt.  It was supposed to have 2" square border around it, but I am doing something like that to tie everything together so I left it off.



This next one was the 2016 row by Calico Mermaid.  Love this row but sort of hard to take apicture of.  She has a coconut bra hanging on the line.  



I'm now designing the center section.  Hopefully this will get finished the next day or two and I can start quilting it.  It also has a cute starfish Katie drew and a oyster shell with a pearl inside she drew for me.  I will just need to fuse and sew the center section down.  The rest is already sewn.  



The other thing I have been working on, hand stitching is Kyleigh's mermaid pillow, the design kindly given by Joy at Days Filled with Joy several months ago.  I decided to fill in the mermaid hair, instead of just as an outline.  I'm really pleased with the result so far.  Kyleigh's BD is Friday, August 17th so am down to the wire on this.  I plan to do a little fusible applique around the mermaid and should be able to assemble the cushion in the next several days.  

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. This is to enable me hopefully to get my comments e-mailed to me. I have done the fix multiple times, and it keeps reverting back. I do so love to have your comments, and don't want to miss a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mermaid quilt! What a clever idea to combine all those patterns. Don’t forget to take pictures when it’s done! xo Cathy
    catkiz(at)xmission(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great RxR that will make! I love the center you are making. I have collected quite a few over the years, and keep making plans, but I haven't actually done a single one yet! Last year, I got a lot with bees to make a bee-themed one, and I've collected a few of the birds around here this year. A lot of Tennessee shops didn't participate this year, sadly. But one that did was a great discovery Friday!

    ReplyDelete