Saturday, May 22, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

As I was getting ready to write my post last week for Slow Sunday Stitching, I couldn't get into my own blog, it was telling me it was unsafe.  I was a problem with my internet provider and security system.  I kept trying to open it for about 4 days, and finally I could all of a sudden. 

I had a wonderful Mother's Day.  My family took me to Half Moon Bay for the day.  






My daughter Katie painted this for me.  I had told her the day before Mother's Day that when I had gone in a shop I had seen this on a plain board.  "My mind still talks to you, my heart still looks for you, my soul knows you are at peace".  She went home and painted it that night.  

Last week's events including grandson Jaeger's 2 award ceremonies.  In one of them he received double gold medal for being greater than 4.01 GPA all year.  This is apparently his third year for such an award.  He also received an award for having a 4.0 GPA in Spanish.  This week he received a $200,000 ROTC scholarship from the Navy.  He will be attending University of New Mexico.  






I also got to attend one of his last water polo games for the first time.  



Jaeger's brother Keaton has a broken arm and wasn't able to play the past several weeks.  Keaton is on the left, then granddaughter Kyleigh, me, Jaeger, and Andrew who is Kyleigh's boyfriend.  

I also did some rearranging of furniture.  This is my former office when I used to do medical transcription at home.   I moved the rolltop desk to my bedroom.  This space now made room where I could put my quilt frame.  It gets a lot of nice light in here.


John had built some nice cabinets in here for my crafts, and put in a countertop of granite. 




Here we are with my quilt table in here.  Now I won't have to take it down from the dining room when I have guests.  

Also this week I made this simple baby quilt for a friend to give as a gift.  She asked to come look at my fabrics, and I told her I had some 6 inch squares cut out.  This was my slow stitching this week, to sew the binding down.



What I will be working on this Sunday for Slow Sunday Stitching is this block.  I am making 4 more blocks to go on Jaeger's graduation quilt.  This was from the Pieces From the Past Sew along organized by Melva Loves Scraps.  Jaeger is over 6 feet tall, and this will be a little small for him as is.   These were all blocks that were published in the Kansas City Star in the 30's and 40s.



After the sew along was over, I received a copy of of this book from C&T Publishing.  



I chose 4 more blocks to lengthen the quilt before adding borders.   I'm going to sew this one by hand. 




11 comments:

  1. It is so nice you got to spend time with your daughter and her children. They look like a very lovely family. You're going to enjoy having your quilting frame in the brighter room. It's so much easier to quilt with good lighting. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to know you had a great Mother's Day with family at the beach. I am dreaming with some days at the beach right now, but it is impossible to know when this will be possible.
    Congratulations to Jaeger!
    Your new space looks perfect. I would love to have a quilt table like yours, with a domestic sewing machine and a quilting frame . Will show my husbund this photo. Have a great week, Karrin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've enjoyed lots of time with your family recently, and that is the best! Jaeger's quilt is going to be beautiful. Congratulations to him for the great achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely day with your family. Congrats to Jaeger. Love your sewing room and that block you chose to add to the quilt is amazing. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy for you to be able to spend time with your family! Your quilt room looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! That is a fantastic gift to get a scholarship to go and study. Time spend with loved ones are precious. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaeger, well done and so many congratulations. our grandson is also well over 6 feet tall. I found I had been adding your blog to my list the wrong way, so now you are there. A gorgeous painting and a lovely day out together. You so deserve all the love you are getting. Roll on 1st June, I know now to take a patch in with me on the 8th.XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy family times. It's lovely to see you all together enjoying each other's company after what you have all been through. Gosh, your grands are tall. Congratulations to Jaeger, such an amazing scholarship. Your John was very gifted with his cabinet making/building skills. Enjoy your stitching of Jaeger's graduation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Half Moon Bay. What a treat to go spend the day there with your family.
    Lots going on with your grand children - They sound like a great bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you out and about enjoying your family, Karrin! Your Mothers Day Trip to Half Moon Bay sounds like it was very restorative, and you made some lovely memories. Thinking of you daily as you continue to adjust! XXOO I love the new quilting space, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely catch up post! You've got lots of exciting things going on - I love the painting your daughter made for you, she's very talented, and congrats to Jaeger on his scholarship! Lovely purple quilt too :) xx

    ReplyDelete