Saturday, December 11, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

This has been another busy week.  I was busy cooking 11 different kinds of cookies, which I hand out in boxes to my family and friends.  That took up most of the week.  If you didn't seen my day on the Virtual Cookie Exchange you can see it here, along with my recipes.  

I made one cookie I haven't made since I left home at 22.  My mother, from the time I was about 13 or so would hand me a list of cookies she wanted me to make for Christmas, so that she could hand out boxes to friends, family and coworkers.  My mother used to collect the Pillsbury Bakeoff recipe books, and in 1967, a recipe came out for Oatmeal Carmelitas.  I didn't like to make these because you had to unwrap 32 caramels.  The papers would have static electricity and you would go to throw them out and they would stick to your fingers.  When I left home, I stopped making these.  This week, I decided to make them, because my sister is coming for Christmas and likes these.  I saw somewhere on Pinterest you could substitute caramel sauce, so I decided to give it a try again.  

I noted the recipe on Pinterest you used an 8 x 8 inch pan, but I remembered using a 9x13 inch pan.  So I went to look in my mother's recipe box and the card wasn't there.  My sister, when she gave me the box years ago said she helped herself to what she wanted before she gave it to me.  I remembered that I had all my mother's old Pillsbury Bakeoff Books and I found the recipe in the second book I looked in.  I made the cookies with the old recipe, and noted at the bottom of the recipe I could have used caramel sauce all along.  







This week, I had a couple of social activities associated with the quilt guild.  The first, on Wednesday was a lunch with the single ladies group at Claim Jumper.  

Then on Friday, one of the members of the mini group I belong to had a brunch at her house.  She has wonderful decorations, and had a delicious lunch, and made everyone a quilt.  Only 2 of us out of 7 were able to attend this month but we were sure treated like queens!    This is the quilt I won. 


Today, one of the ladies I met at quilt guild and I went to a Christmas Pops/Chorale Program that was excellent.  We then had a little dinner after the program.   Every morning my daughter texts me the link for a Christmas song, and I add it to my Pandora Play list and I play Christmas songs all day as I go about my activities.  I love Christmas music!  What I will be doing this week for Slow Sunday Stitching will be to sew labels on these two quilts.  My sister's Christmas Quilt, and my brother's Christmas present, which also happens to be my final project in the String and Story Free Motion Quilting class.  I will be able to graduate next Saturday!




I will be linking up at Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Head on over and see what everyone has been up to.  

Thanks for stopping by!



6 comments:

  1. Sounds like another full week for you Karrin! Bet those cookies are good! Have a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and a blessed 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure keep busy! I am so impressed that you got the quilts done in time for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lighthouse quilt is gorgeous, what a delightful gift.You are busy, both at home and the social get togethers. We have been very stay at home lately, but did have 3 days with older daughter, weather wet and not good for any photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many delicious cookies, Karrin! You certainly scored with your gifted quilt; it is so pretty. What a lovely lady to make a special quilt to each of the ladies. Your lighthouse quilt is gorgeous. You sound as if you are having a wonderful time with all your activities...so happy for you♡ Enjoy the new week...I am guessing another full one??

    ReplyDelete
  5. You won a beautiful quilt Karrin.
    And the 2 you made are gorgeous.
    Hope you have a great week and Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post, Karrin. I so love the old fashioned recipes and enjoy reading about them...I'm a person who can take a cook book to bed with me to read, LOL. That quilt you got was so pretty and how nice to get out with like minded friends. You seem to have nailed the quilting lines. Happy Baking and munching and also Happy Graduation too!

    ReplyDelete