Sunday, August 07, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching

Another busy week has whizzed by.  It continues to be blazing hot in Northern California.   It was relatively cooler Saturday morning and I was out picking the blasted morning glory weed out of my garden, enjoying my tunes, when my neighbor behind me had someone taking out cement or something with very loud machinery.  Sort of took my mood away, plus there was some sort of dust coming over the fence, hope to get more done this week.

I did pick two Dahlias that just bloomed, before the sun turned them to crispy critters. 

The amaranth is getting quite top heavy, I had to attach it to the fence.  It popped up randomly out of my brick patio.  



This week was guild board meeting on Tuesday and on the way home I stopped by the farmer's market along the way.  I had wanted to make some pickles and was able to get some cucumbers and made some Bread and Butter pickles.  I used to can all the time, and haven't for a long while.  Katie had given me some peaches last week, so I made peach jam.  I also made some hot pepper jelly out of the hot peppers I grew, and also some pickled beets, and some roasted tomatoes, out of home grown tomatoes which I froze. 


Wednesday I had a crown put on, one of those new one-day crowns.  It felt weird, didn't feel like it was my tooth.  It sat too high, so it was higher than the other side of my mouth.  I went home and after attempting to eat lunch went back over and they filed it down some.  When I tried to eat dinner, it was still to high, even if I chewed on the other side of my mouth it hit.  I called the next day and when I went in, they had already made a new one that was revised.  

When I went in the first day they numbed me up, and then asked me to bite down to make the impression.  They figured because I was numbed I probably didn't bite down hard enough.  This second one works just fine, no problems.  But it was 3 times to the dentist across town.  

This week I have also been working on my brother's quilt, and it has been quite the adventure.  I attached the top of border of Storm at Sea blocks, and then went to attach the bottom border and I was missing 2 blocks.  I could have sworn I made enough for both borders.   So I went and scrounged up some more background fabric that would go with what I did so far, and made 1 block, and then realized I hadn't cut out enough pieces for the other block.  I looked over on my rolling cart with thread and supplies off to the side of me, and there were the other two blocks.  I attached the bottom border and decided to measure the length and see if it was close to where I needed to be, and discovered it was 116 inches way over.  I still wanted to add a lighthouse fabric border on all sides.  So I took off the bottom border and now it won't be so huge. 



This will be the border and probably the backing too.  



Last week I finished this Peter Rabbit block for the baby quilt I am working on.  


This will be what I am working on for Slow Sunday Stitching.  


I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and check out what everyone has been working on.  


Thanks for stopping by!





9 comments:

  1. Where do you get all your energy! You are amazingly productive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many activities during the week, sure going 3 times to the dentist was not fun. Glad now it is OK. Peter Rabbit embroidery is lovely. Happy stitching Karrin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Storm at Sea quilt is looking fabulous and what a darling embroidery piece to work on. Have a very lovely day. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have certainly been busy. Love the quilt for your brother. Happy Slow Sunday Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty flowers, Karrin - the amaranth is amazing! And peach jam - yum! I think I have that same lighthouse fabric in my stash,too, just waiting for the perfect project. Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been busy in the kitchen. You call it canning, here in New Zealand we call it bottling, or preserving. It all tastes great though, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos of your flowers are so lovely! What a huge amaranth! You are so talented with the fresh produce! “Across town” in California can certainly be a long drive!
    Your brother’s quilt has certainly been an adventure! It is lovely fabric. Reminds me of a lighthouse cozy mystery series I’m reading. Your Peter Rabbit slow stitching is lovely! It will be a treasured quilt for sure!
    Happy gardening and stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been a canner. I made a couple of jams many years ago. I am impressed by how much you have canned recently. I love the lighthouse quilt and the Peter Rabbit embroidery is adorable. Enjy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do keep busy, Karrin. Peach jam just sounds so yummy. I have a basket of Ontario Peaches right now. Sweet embroidery pieces to slowly stitch and a wonderful quilt for your brother. Neat fabrics. I'm glad you've got that crown business behind you! Always something, it seems.

    ReplyDelete