Monday, March 20, 2023

Little Green Apples Sew It-Show It Challenge, My Day

 


This is the second day of the Little Green Apples Sew It-Show It Challenge, hosted by the amazing Carol @Just Let Me Quilt.    Many thanks to Carol for letting me join.  The challenge this time was to sew something with green, or apples, or a combination of both.  The complete schedule is below.

When this blog hop came up, I immediately had just the project.  Somewhere in the late 1990's, I was still a relatively new quilter, and I took a class at the local quilt shop.  It was an apple core quilt class.  I made about 5 rows of apple cores, but I had not sewn them together.  In fact, the rows had taped numbers on them, to tell me where they went.  I cut out all the apple cores, but put everything in a plastic bag where it has languished in various closets ever since.  I pulled out everything and laid them out on the floor first.




I started out sewing the rows together by hand, as I wasn't sure how I I could get the pieces to meet accurately.   Each piece needed 5 pins in them to sew the curves.    After sewing about 6 rows together by hand,  I decided it was taking too long and started sewing rows together by machine.  I finished the top, which is a lap quilt sized.    I found out recently that my son-in-law Jeff had pulled out one of my grandson's baby quilts to wrap up in while watching TV.  It has been really cold around here lately this winter.   So this will be Jeff's BD present.


It doesn't look like I made much of a dent in the apple core pieces.  I have probably enough to make several table runners.     Before picture


After picture.



When I do get around to quilting this, which will probably be next month, this will be the back. This was also in the baggie of rows I had already completed and the cut out apple cores.


Be sure and visit the other bloggers and see what they have come up with.

Again, many thanks again to Carol @Just Let Me Quilt.  I finally got this UFO out of my closet!


MARCH 20

Just Let Me Quilt

Quilt Schmilt

Quilting Gail

Elizabeth Coughlin Designs

DesertSky Quilting

Days Filled With Joy

Kathy's Kwilts and More

Sew Many Yarns

 

MARCH 21

Creatin’ in the Sticks

Quilted Delights

Karrin’s Crazy World

For The Love Of Geese

Vroomans Quilts

Quilted Snail

Homespun Hannah's Blog

The Joyful Quilter

 

MARCH 22

Inflorescence

Ms P Designs USA

Words & Stitches

The Crafty Grammie

Beaquilter

Texas Quilt Gal

Pinker n' Punkin Quilting & Stitching

 

MARCH 23

Moosestash Quilting

Patchwork Breeze

Crazy'boutquilts

Selina Quilts

Samelia's Mum

Just Because Quilts

Scrapdash

That Fabric Feeling


Thanks for stopping by!


32 comments:

  1. What a perfect design. I have always wanted to try to piece this design. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apple core block looks really cute. The backing apple print fabric will look good for the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project to finish! I really like the backing and am so glad it didn't get lost in the shuffle. Jeff will enjoy that warmth in a bigger size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely quilt, Karrin, but oh my goodness, all those curves! Love the happy apple print for the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing more rewarding in the blog hops, than actually pulling out those UFO's and finishing them. Whoo hoo on a great finish. Your son in law is going to love his new quilt. I don't care if it's parts, scraps or blocks, for some reason they never really seem to dwindle away. They just keep growing. LOL!! I see apple core table runners under a big bowl of apples in your house soon.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your apple core quilt is stunning. I love the homespun look of the fabrics. The apple fabric will make the perfect backing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome quilt! I like the back too. It's always a good feeling after finishing a UFO. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your apple cores are perfect! What a sweet gift for your SIL - he will be cozy for sure with his own quilt. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lot of apple core pieces, Karrin! It looks like they went together nicely, too. And it definitely sounds like Jeff needs his very own quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking quilt Karrin! I've always liked the apple core pattern, but never wanted to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your apple core quilt is beautiful, the colors scream warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made a nice apple core quilt and it will be a great birthday gift for your son-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a huge dent in the apple cores. I've never made one, but it looks so awesome! It's exciting that you were able to get that far on a project that was just waiting to be a quilt. Are the curves hard? Thank you for sharing, Karrin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Oh my, beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Apple core pieces - inspiring. It's so neat that you worked with those UFO pices, too. Pefect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect APPLE cores for this hop, the quilt looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect pattern for this challenge! I am not sure I would have had the patience though. You did a great job, and I'm sure your son-in-law will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That's sure a LOT of curves, and yours look great. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the look of the apple core pattern. I’ve never tried it! Your SIL is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is amazing. not just that you have is hanging around for 20 years but that you still have the backing with it. Great quilt. I've never tried that quilt, the blocks have always intimidated me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think this quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love the colors you chose! Congrats on finishing such an old UFO.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's SEW fantastic that you had just the right project for the Hop and just the right person to gift it to once this lovely classic UFO has been completed!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your top is beautiful! I have always wanted to make one of these. Love all your colors and prints!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karrin your apple core quilt is just the perfect project for this challenge and that backing is so cute! I'm sure your SIL will be thrilled to have his own quilt. I've never done an apple core quilt, but after seeing yours I might just have to! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks fantastic! I love making apple core quilts, it's so fun - and you have lots more to use up! Amazing how many you still have left! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so good. I've always thought I should try one, but haven't because it looks very labor intensive. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a fun lap quilt Karrin - It looks labor intensive. The American look of it appeals to me though. Perfect backing fabric. Your SIL will love having his own quilt - probably will be a bit bigger than a baby's quilt too. What a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous11:36 AM

    Brilliant!! I love the apple core design but have never done one. Thanks for this share. You really can use so many scraps and it comes out looking quite dignified. Curves scare me so kudos to your bravery, and bonus points for finishing with something you started long ago. If only I could catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your apple cores are perfect for this blog hop!!! And, you now have a great quilt for your SIL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fun lap quilt and I am sure your SIL will love it. The backing fabric is perfect, too. Great job working with all those curves.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the apple core quilt and the chosen backing fabric will just finish it all off beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous9:24 AM

    Lovely story and quilt too.

    ReplyDelete