Sunday, March 12, 2023

Hand Quilt Along, Slow Sunday Stitching, SAHRR

This past week was jam-packed with activities.  Monday I had choir practice at the community center which is across the street from my home.  Tuesday was our quilt guild board meeting which I attend as I am co-chair of community service quilts.  Wednesday I gave my son-in-law a ride to the airport at 6:30 a.m.    Then at 9 a.m. was our guild pin basting day at the community center.  Wednesday afternoon our choir group did a performance at a local memory unit.  Those residents have such a good time, it doesn't matter that we might not always been on key.  They wave their hands around directing us and sing along with us.  It's always an uplifting experience.

Thursday I had an appointment with my Dr. and got a cortisone shot in my knee and lab work.  The good thing was every single one of my tests was perfectly normal, BP 1156/58.  When I got my lab work done, she put a cotton ball and tape on the site and told me to put pressure on it.  I went outside where it was pouring down rain and drove on home.  I got home and took off my coat and the whole arm of my sweatshirt was soaked.  

Friday was the Dust Off a Quilt Book Blog Hop, hosted by Bea @Beaquilter.   You can read my post here.    I made this quilt for my granddaughter Kyleigh's boyfriend Drew.  I promised him a quilt when he graduated from nursing school in December.  Drew loves Moose, so I added some moose applique.   His birthday is this month.   I plan to give it to him next week.




I also was able to get my SAHRR done.   This is a round robin that is organized every year by Quilting Gail, and each week one of the co-host bloggers gives a prompt as to what you should add to the next round.  We start off with an orphan block, or something you didn't use for another quilt.  My block was leftover from grandson Jaeger's high school graduation quilt.  I made the block wrong and saved this one.  

The last prompt was by Quilting Gail for pinwheel blocks.  This is my finished quilt.  It measures 64x77 and I plan to donate it to community service in my guild.  

This week I also made a couple of St. Patrick's gnome pillows.  My embroidery machine is in the shop still, and I didn't have time to do any applique, so I printed some images on fabric, and did some quilting around the images.  


This week I have continued working on my Green Apples Blog Hop project.  I am sewing units together on machine, and then sewing rows together by hand at night.  

I also worked a bit on this embroidery.  This is a Bird Brain Design.  


I got my scrappy project back out.  It is Winter Blues by Bonnie Hunter, and will eventually be a wedding quilt for a family friend's daughter.   I last had this out in February when I had to pick everything in my work area, which happens to be the dining room/kitchen where I have really good lighting.   The end of the month I have a guild work day at my house for community service.  We cut batting and binding for donated quilt tops/backs and package them up.  Usually there are about 6 of us.  So the components for this quilt were in about 4 baskets/containers and all mixed up.  I am going to organize them so I can figure out what I am doing again.  They were basically organized before put them in my sewing room.  


The end of the month I have signed up for a 4-day Day Camp at my guild.  It is 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.   We will have a potluck dinner each day.   I am trying to organize projects to work on while there.  

Carole @From My Carolina Home has a mystery quilt along each year, and she just started a new one called Scrap Dance Quadrille.  I plan to make a lap quilt for an 80+ year old friend who has been having chronic medical issues.  Barbara likes purple so I pulled a bunch of purple fabric out.  I cut a bunch of the scrappy 4 inch squares out.  I still need to cut out the background squares and rectangles, but that will be one thing I will work on at Day Camp.  I probably have enough purple squares here to make 3 quilts but I got in the groove of cutting up scraps. 

Daughter Katie and I and Klara and John had a great lunch at Spaghetti Factory Saturday.  We always love it there, and didn't have to wait like we usually do at dinner time.  The other great thing is the great leftovers.







For my slow stitching this week, I will continue working on my Bird Brain designs, and my Green Apples project.  Check out the other quilters below for the Hand Quilt Along below.

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Connie



I will also be linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and check out what everyone has been up to.  Monday I will be linking up at Quilting Gail for final picture of the SAHRR.  


Thanks for stopping by!


19 comments:

  1. I love your projects. The SAHRR quilt is fantastic. Of course the others look great also. You are quite busy with many pretty quilts and community events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karrin, your week must fly by faster than fast with all that you achieve! I love that your choir sings within the community uplifting others. Drew's quilt is a fabulous. Love the applique moose, and what a great backing you stitched. He is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always amaze me with your variety of projects, and you get so much done!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The moose quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a very busy week! Love that you go in and sing for the residents. I bet they enjoy that time a lot. Winter blues is beautiful. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:16 PM

    I don’t think you ever sit down! Choir, sewing, your family activities! So much fun! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:12 PM

    I can't get over how busy and I mean productively busy you were.bAlways love seeing your pictures too. I participated one year in Carols mystery quilt project - omg - I am a total visual learner because I was got so lost in directions with no picture to refer to my project looked nothing and I mean nothing like it was suppose to plus I had left over pieces blah blah :) but it was fun! Cute pillows and I like the bird brain embroidery

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drew's quilt looks amazing and love your SAHRR. You always have such fun and fabulous projects going on.Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did have a busy week! I love how your SAHRR turned out. Mine is about done, too - just need to get the binding on. That Winter Blues quilt is going to be beautiful - what a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much fun to catch up on all your projects. The SAHRR turned out beautiful, but that doesn't surprise me. You have a flair for what goes together. I haven't been to Spaghetti Factory in SO long! I always thought it was fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was your sweatshirt sleeve soaked with blood? I love your SAHRR! Your Winter Blues quilt is lovely. What great photos with your daughter and grands! I wish we still had a Spaghetti Factory near us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Karrin. You are such a busy person. Cute pics with your family. Also, kudos to your choir for entertaining at the memory unit. Their days must be long sometimes and what a treat to have you all come in and sing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a very BUSY! lady!!! Your projects look fantastic! As does your SAHRR!!! Thanks for linking to the Parade!
    quiltinggail

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a showcase of lovely projects ! I adore the St Patricks Gnomes and your SAHRR is wonderful !! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post and as usual you keep very busy! That keeps us young!!! Great family pictures! Such a smile on your face - all the time! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO many great projects. Your SAHRR looks great and will be well loved by someone. I, too, am using one of Carole's patterns at a retreat in April. Was just organizing it and will try to do a little cutting before I go. Love your gnome pillows and your beautiful embroidery, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your completed quilt and finishing your SAHRR top! Someone is going to be thrilled to receive that, Karrin. Looks like you had a lovely visit with your daughter and the grands, too. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your Stay at Home Round Robin quilt! What a great orphan block that center is!

    ReplyDelete