Monday, August 21, 2023

Call Me Crazy Challenge, My Day

 A picture containing text, font, poster, screenshotDescription automatically generated

 

This is my day on the Call Me Crazy Challenge Blog Hop, hosted by the fabulous Joan @Moosestash Quilting.  


Her challenge this time in her words was " to sew something that you wouldn't normally sew or share something you can't believe you sewed. We all know that crazy and scary feeling of wondering what we were thinking, when we started or were in the middle of sewing something out of our comfort zone."


I have lots of crazy things to show and tell today.  


Long, long ago, I had 2 blogs, Ocean4Karrin, which was devoted to family happenings, and my sane quilting.  I started that one in 2006, and it only had 52 posts, I eventually stopped blogging there.


On 2/20/2007 I started a new blog, this one, Karrin's Crazy World to blog about my crazy quilting activities, CQ round robins I was in, Sharon Boggan's Take A Stitch Tuesday , and I participated in CQ Journal Project, where I was making a block a month for a year.   Eventually this was the blog that I did everything on.  


I have always loved crazy quilting, been fascinated with it and love working with it.  When I first started sane quilting, I started collecting books by Judith Baker Montano, her silk embroidery books, her embroidery stitch books.  I had 5 books in all.  


In around 2005 my husband and I were on a Mexican Riviera Cruise.  He came back to the cabin and told me there was good news and bad news.  Good news it was a quilting cruise.  Bad news was I couldn't join in.  That night before dinner we were in the Crows Nest and in another section were the quilters, and they were introducing the teachers and I heard Judith Baker Montano's name mentioned.  The next day at lunch I introduced myself to her and told her I loved her books.  She invited me to see what the class was doing and told me she was teaching at Empty Spools in Asilomar in February.  I went back home and signed up.  This was my first project, which isn't finished yet, but will be one day.  I took all of my books to class and she signed them for me!




I signed up the next year when she was teaching at Empty Spools in Asilomar too.  This was a CQ landscape class.  I love the ocean, love lighthouses, so that was the subject of my landscape.  




The next year Judith said she was coming out with a new book, and she liked to include student pictures in her books, and if we had anything finished, she would like to include it.  So I sent in a picture of this one, and I am published!





My friend Patricia Winters once had a blog, that is no longer, but she created these Boho Bags.  I made about 7 of these, 3 for me, and 2 for my granddaughter, and a couple for other people.






I have also made small pouches and purses in crazy quilting.







I had noticed at one of Judith Baker Montano's classes in her displays of work she had done, she had a family CQ.  Each member had their own block.  I really liked that idea.  So in 2012 I decided to participate in the CQ Journal project, and each month would make a different block featuring family members.  


These are some of my blocks.    My daughters.



This was one from my childhood.  I am the big girl, about 12 or so with a scowl on my face.   My mother got me this ugly red bathing suit that didn't fit right, and my sister got a cute pink suit with lace on it.  


My girls when they were babies.


My parents wedding picture


My mother's parents


My dear husband John and I


John and his mom at the beach when he is a baby


My girls again



John's parents' wedding picture



My wedding picture


I really need to get busy and start making blocks again.  My girls are in their 40's, and I have 5 grandchildren that need their own blocks.  So much to do, so little time!  

Hope you enjoyed seeing my craziness.  Be sure and visit the other bloggers below and leave a sweet word.  Thanks again Joan for allowing me to share my craziness!  This has been a lot of fun.  


Monday August 21

MooseStashQuilting

Selina Quilts

Quilting Gail

Just Because Quilts

Words & Stitches

 

Tuesday August 22

Karrin’s Crazy World

Scrapdash

Inflorescence

VroomansQuilts

Happy Cottage Quilter

 

Wednesday August 23

 Den syende himmel

Just Sew Quilter

Ms P Designs USA

Quilted Snail

MooseStashQuilting Guest Post

 

Thursday August 24

Just Let Me Quilt

BeaQuilter

Stitching Farm Girl

 Days Filled with Joy


Thanks for stopping by!

25 comments:

  1. Your blocks are gorgeous and so meaningful. The incorporated photos make them very special. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a crazy-great group of projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful things here. I especially love your journal pages, and have to come back to take a closer look several times. Thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always admired that gorgeous stitching. Your blocks are beautiful. I actually got to see Judith Baker Montano at a taping of the Quilt Show when it was at Ricky Tims studio. She lived not far from there so we drove by her home. Her flower garden was incredible and looks a lot like her stitching. She is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking that your awesome blocks take crazy to a whole new level. They are amazing. The detail with the photos is so full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome projects! I love the blocks you are working on with the photos included in them. That will be a treasure when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful Crazy quilt blocks--really nice work on these...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your crazy quilt blocks featuring the family photos are amazing, Karrin! So fun to see! You definitely need to make some for the grandkids. That will vpbecome a special family keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karrin, these are wonderful, and I love your story! I adore crazy quilts and quilting. I have grand ideas of doing a full scale quilt one day, but I think your smaller projects make more sense (and are more likely to be done and finished)!! I look forward to seeing more from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your craziness in these blocks is gorgeous! I love all the details and photos that will definitely be treasures for your family. Thank you for sharing all the beautiful crazy with us, Karrin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All so gorgeous! that whale purse is just so beautiful! Talent abounds here! Thank you for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:55 AM

    I loved seeing all your crazy work and purses ~ all work is beautiful, yes you need to make more for the grands (and published work too!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many gorgeous pieces! I would have loved to have taken a class with JB Montano...you are a lucky woman. You will be pleased when you get back to it...maybe winter is a good time?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your projects are all crazy beautiful! I'm just awestruck by the intricate work you put into each piece. These are all works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was just so entertaining and I love your work! I will have to look up Ms Montano.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful blocks! I hadn't seen the family blocks that I remember, or the whale bag. I need to finish the covid year last block on my last cq year. I only have a coupe of seams to do, but want to have more stable stitching to match what's already done ... if I can. Great post, Karrin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your work. They are so beautiful and intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a walk down Memory Lane, Karrin! I actually remember seeing several of your blocks and projects over the years we were involved in CQ together. Everything is beautiful, and I hope you do finish up the rest of your family Crazy Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing work! The details and materials must take a crazy amount of time to put together so well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are a master 'crazy' quilter. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You win! This is truly a crazy post and great projects

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I love those blocks with the photos - that will be a family heirloom for sure! I started a bit of a crazy quilt block but somehow never got back to it... I would like to one day though! Thanks for sharing all this lovely inspiration! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your crazy quilting is absolutely stunning! And what a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A lovely story of your crazy quilting adventures. The blocks of your family crazy quilt are beautiful - what an amazing quilt it will be. I love your lighthouse piece too.

    ReplyDelete



  25. i enjoyed reading about your crazy quilt journey! Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing!
    quilting gail

    ReplyDelete