Thursday, August 23, 2018

Wednesday (Thursday) Wait Loss 81

I'm going to link this up to Wednesday Wait Loss at the Inquiring Quilter.  

I finished my daughter Katie's BD quilt this week, just in time for her BD August 24th.  She wanted me to put together some rows that we had gotten in a row-by-row we had gotten at some quilt shops, in 2015 and 2016.   I put together the rows, and needed something for the center section, so I designed that. 


Front of Quilt



Back of Quilt


Center Section




Remember here, I was featured on Wednesday Wait Loss #73 and won the Island Batik Stash Builder roll?  I used them in the seaweed, and cut all of them except the one below in the braided border.



This one is very special to me, and I will be using it a little at a time.  I hate to cut into it, but  I used some these shapes to applique in Katie's quilt,and also on granddaughter Kyleigh's mermaid cushion



This is the bottom row, a mermaid sitting on a sea urchin sewing.


The top section

Jennifer at the Inquiring Quilter on Wednesday Wait Loss this time is asking to share State Fair Quilts.

I'm copying my post from my Wednesday Wait Loss 76, as my red, white and blue quilts were also some of my State Fair Quilts.  

This quilt is called Crazy about Boating.  This was my own creation.  I embroidered in bluework sailboats and sayings about sailing and created crazy-quilt type blocks.  This was completed in August 2001.  It was also quilted by Susan Nixon@ Desertsky Quilting.  I entered it in the California State Fair that year and received a second place ribbon. 


This one is called Lights Ahoy.  The center section came out of a book called All Hands On Deck by the Picket Fence, Richard and Debi Anderson.l  That year, we went up to Trinidad, California to visit friends, who took us to breakfast  down by the pier.  Right up the street was a quilt shop called Ocean Waves, which has since relocated to Eureka.  Anyway I convinced my husband and our friends we needed to stop so I could look.  On our way out of town, my husband stopped and I bought the 4 whale blocks and the lighthouses which I love.  The owner told us about this blue fabric that would be perfect for a border.  My DH asked if I wanted to get and I said no, 3 times, thinking if we spent money for it, I would not get to stop for a sandwich on the way home.  I also thought my local quilt shop would probably have it (they didn't).  So the next week, I called to get some shipped, and the owner said "Your husband asked you 3 times if you wanted it".  This quilt was finished in 2/99.  It is fusible applique and buttonhole stitched down.  It was also quilted by Susan Nixon.  It won a 2nd place at the California State Fair that year.



I have a quilt I made in 2002 for my granddaughter, a combination Redwork/pieced quilt.  It was an Alice in Wonderland theme.  I won first prize and best of show, but I spent  all afternoon looking for a picture and it is not to be found. 

So I am liking up with Wednesday Wait Loss with the Inquiring Quilter

Thanks for stopping by!




3 comments:

  1. Drat! I would have loved to have seen that last quilt too. But both of your state fair quilts are awesome!f California has such a strong quilting community that winning there I think is a great achievement. Congratulations. Thank you thank you for writing about how you used your stash roll. Man, those fabrics are perfect for this project! I wonder if someone's hand was guiding me as I selected those strips to send!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabrics you won from Jennifer are beautiful, and perfect for that quilt. The one you are doling out in small pieces is just beautiful! I do like your mermaid quilt, and your quilting on it, too. Did you do that on your domestic machine, or rent time on a longarm? Your pattern choices look great on the backing. It's always nice to revisit older completed quilts, too. I've always loved both of those quilts. Paul and I did quite a few for you over the years. I miss doing that! I miss seeing so many pretty quilts come to my house from California!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to get blogger to send me comments

    ReplyDelete