Saturday, November 14, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching, Another Rough Week

I didn't get much sewing done this week due to what is stated below.  I did finish some hand stitching on my last QAL by the Sea block by Partner's in Design.  The block last week was the lighthouse.  These are the last 4 blocks.   I think before I put these blocks together I want to do a mermaid for my complete quilt.  


I also finally finished this Ella Maria Deacon block.  I have been working on this for two weeks it seems.  My applique was off, but it is going to stay as is.  Maybe I'll make a notation on it that John fell when I was working on this block.  I have two more blocks to do for last month, and I will be working on those for my Slow Sunday Stitching.


I will also be working on my last month's block of Cassandra's Circle.  I still need to prep the block for that.  I laid the other blocks on the floor today and took a picture.  


I also got the last two borders on my Father Christmas quilt.  




I will be linking up at Slow Sunday Stitching @ Kathy's Quilts.  Head on over and see what other's have been working on.  

This week has been another rough week.  Trying to get information out of the rehab facility my husband was placed  in was like trying to pull teeth.  Last Monday, I was waiting to pick up my grandchildren, a nurse helped him call me.  He was telling me was depressed, was barely coherent and crying when I told him I loved him. I sat waiting in the front of the school crying myself.

 Monday afternoon I asked the Dr. at the facility to give me a call back.  She called me at dinner time, and told me they had not been able to work him with yet,  that he was very weak, and he told her he did not feel he was making any progress.  I told her I wanted him to come back home with Home Health.  

The team meeting was the next day and they discussed his progress/lack of it and it was decided he would be sent home on Thursday, after his brother Roger had gotten here from North Carolina Wednesday evening.  

Wednesday afternoon I had a video conference call with the OT and PT at the rehab showing me how to get him up, and into a wheelchair.  I didn't find this particularly informative, but they tried.  For one thing, they had heavy plastic shields around their face, had heavy accents, and I have hearing difficulties in the best of conditions.  I sometimes have to see people's lips.  They had masks on and heavy plastic shields.  I am generally able to get him up from a chair or bed and grabbing onto his walker than it took the 2 of them to do.  

They brought him by gurney transport on Thursday.  He has been on an antibiotic for a week which can cause diarrhea.  Right before he left, for some unknown reason, they gave him a rectal suppository.  He has had diarrhea since he came home andis in diapers (which he wasn't in before).  We have had 2 bed changes today and a lot of laundry.  I was thinking when you have a little baby and they have a blowout or a messy diaper, you lift up their legs and clean them up, roll the messy diaper out and can clean them up.  A 270 pound adult  it is not that easy.  

He is not really able to walk, in fact he slipped to the floor tonight when Roger and I were trying to move him to a chair to eat dinner.  He only had to take 8-10 steps to get to the chair.  Fire Department was out to pick him up again, one of the same guys from two weeks  ago.  He did request to move to his chair this morning and we were able to do it without problem and get him back to bed.  

He is eating a little better now, but the first few days, he had a couple of bites of tapioca pudding, Jello, 4 bites of pancake this morning, a couple of Ensure.    He  told me has not been bathed the whole time he was gone (10 days), and they had not given him a toothbrush to brush his teeth.  But the big thing that got me was giving him a suppository when the antibiotic side-effect is diarrhea.  I was so worried about him yesterday, he was not eating much, drinking much, sleeping all day.  His breathing was even when he was sleeping.  He has asthma, and he kept snorting and coughing when he would doze off.  I finally put on his CPAP mask so he could breathe better.  He was on oxygen off and on in the hospital, and rehab, though he doesn't have it at home.  

We are due to have Home Health be started on Monday.  He has been ordered nursing, occupational therapy, speech therapy and maybe a bath aide.  

Hopefully he will be able to get some help  with the therapies at home.  He didn't obtain any help the 10 days he was out of my care.  He is much better emotionally here at home at least.  I couldn't in all good conscious leave him there, with no access to seeing him and very little talking to him.  Our daughters have both been to visit today and he has seemed in good spirits.  

I hadn't mentioned it before, but last week walking around my bed, I stubbed my baby toe on the drawer underneath my bed.  I asked my Dr. for an x-ray, and apparently I have a nondisplaced fracture and they told me to tape it to the  4th toe.  That hurt worse, so I took the tape off.  Tonight when  John went down on the floor again, his walker ran over my baby toe.  It is swollen more now.  I guess I just need to wear shoes in the house or something.  

Well that is it for this week's saga.  Hope you have a great week, and hopefully we will too!


18 comments:

  1. Oh Karrin! I am so very sorry about your husband! and your poor pinky toe...wish I were there to help! YOu all will remain in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karrin I so sorry to hear of all your stresses this week. At least you sound happier having your husband at home and hopefully the home health will be helpful. Do wear shoes around the house, you don't need any more injuries at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Karrin that is so stressful for you! My heart goes out to you both and hope you will get more help at home this week. I hope your hand stitching helps to soothe and comfort you in the meantime. Your QAL blocks are fabulous.. can't wait to see them altogether... it will be a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about you all week, and am so sorry to hear how tough it has been. I can't imagine someone in the rehab facility not offering him a chance to bathe in 10 days - even a sponge bath! I hope he will recuperate and get stronger at home with your loving care. And I hope you also have some downtime to relax and do some stitching on your pretty projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry....It is so hard...seems like the older we get the crazier life gets...Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your husband and that you should hurt your little toe too. Hope you get the help you need. At the same time, I am impressed by all the great works and blocks you show. I especially like the Father Christmas quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karrin I'm so sorry to hear what's been happening to your husband. I hope now he's home and will start his home therapy tomorrow that he starts to improve. Take care of yourself as well, you need your strength (take care of that broken toe too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to say your projects are stunning. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Karrin. You have had a very rough month of November. I think you made the right decision to bring him home although it will be a very exhausting for you. I really hope the help coming in will allow you a break and be able to help. Ouch on the toe. I think some sneakers in the house might be a good idea for a while. Big hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your week has really been rough! It's so hard to find people who really care anymore about someone who really needs help. Yes, and we are getting of age it is harder for us to be there and pick up the slack. Hope your toe gets to feeling better and shoes inside sound like a good answer. There is a saying that says getting old is not for sissies, isn't that the truth! I will keep you and hubby in my thoughts and prayers and hope you have a better week with the additonal help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a "hell-of-a-week" you and your husband have had. I have tears in my eyes as I read your post. I just wish I could make you a cup of tea and give you a hug. It is all just too much. Hopefully, this week brings some much needed help and assistance and your husband begins to pick up. Take it easy on that toe of yours, too. As for your sewing, all are lovely, especially Cassandra's Circle. Love the Christmas quilt, too. Take care, lovely Karrin. This aussie gal is sending you an armful of hugs wrapped up in love. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a stressful week. I hope that things settle down a bit this week now that your husband is home and home care will be starting up. Glad to hear his frame of mind has improved since he came home. You did not need a broken toe on top of everything else...maybe you need some steel toed boots to wear near the walker! Nice to see your sewing projects coming together too. Take care. Sending a hug,

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness, Karrin! Such a hard week for you both. Things can only get better this week, I hope! I know from helping my parents that when there is no one there in person to advocate for a patient, so many things get skipped. Maddening and frustrating! So it's much better for him to be home with you where you are in tune with his needs. Thinking of you both and hoping for peace and calm (and maybe a little sewing)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Santa quilt is absolutely delightful. I hope it's okay if I copied the image so I'd have a record for fabric choices when I make up the pattern you sent me. So sorry to hear about your husband and his lack of care in the facility. Everything just feels so hard right now. I did the same thing to my little toe when I was a young adult and now every time I accidently catch it on the corner of something I'm in terrible pain again. I think I must have done some nerve damage as well. The only way for it to get better is to stay off of it for a few days but that doesn't sound like something you can do right now. I got some sandals that had a wide strap over my little toe and across the top of the other toes. It protected my toe so well I ended up wearing them to bed sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can’t believe what you and John have been going through, and I am so sorry. I’m glad to hear that his spirits are better from your daughters visiting. And it’s great that Roger is there. Once the nursing/therapy/aides routines get clicking along, it should hopefully help things get easier. Take it a day at a time, and take care of yourself, too. (Toe injuries are unfairly painful!). xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have certainly have had a trying time. I hope your husband's health takes a turn for the better soon. Not only for him but for you too. I can imagine that you need a good rest.

    Even with the trying times, you managed some nice stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Kartin! I am just now catching up after a couple of rough weeks, but mine look like a walk in the park compared to yours! Father God, we know you love us and know every detail of our lives. I pray for my friend Karrin, that you would give her strength and wisdom, that you would heal John’s body, help him to gain strength and to think clearly. Thank you for his brother coming. Lord, please provide Karrin with good rest, encouragement and support during this time. XXOO

    ReplyDelete