Saturday, November 07, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

If you just want to read about my Slow Sunday Stitching, you can skip to the bottom.

This week has not been a good week for us.  Monday night, after watching The Voice, I helped my husband into the bathroom to get ready for bed.   He is a fall risk, and I always walk behind him.  As we were walking down the hall, his legs were really wobbly.  By the time we got to the bathroom, his legs collapsed.  As he is a big guy and can't get up by himself, we called the firemen to pick him up.  He was so weak when they were here, they advised taking him to the hospital to be evaluated.  I drove up to the ER and they would not let me in, even though I explained I was his caregiver, power of attorney and he had some cognitive issues.  They ran tests and scans and didn't find anything.  He told them he  had just come on that night, where if they had allowed me to give the history, I would have said it was about 2 weeks.  I would have told him he has difficulty finding words and getting out what he wants to say.

About 2:30 a.m. the Dr. finally called me back and told me what was going on, and they hadn't found anything.  They kept him till Wednesday morning and sent him to rehab.  I was finally able to speak to him before he left for rehab, where visitors are not allowed either.

Wednesday I received calls from the rehab facility asking for his history.  Thursday morning, I received a flurry of calls, from therapists, nurses and the Dr.   Apparently he had some garbled speech, and shaking, and they were afraid of mini-strokes and took him back to ER for an MRI.  They kept him overnight, MRI was negative,  They kept him overnight again.  I insisted on going into the ER yesterday to be with him before they sent him back to rehab.  I was able to spend about 5 hours with him.  He said they didn't give him dinner the night before, but not sure how accurate that was, because I also heard they were worried about him choking on food.  

I asked him how he was when I got there, and he said he was confused.  He cried multiple times when I told him how much I loved him, and that he was no burden to me as he is constantly worried about.  I was able to get him to eat miniscule amount of food for breakfast and lunch.  They brought him sausage for breakfast but told him he couldn't eat it because they were worried about him choking.  That was what he wanted to eat!    I told him when I was there I cleaned a great big dust ball off our headboard and it fell on my pillow.  I did get him to smile when I stated we should "fire the housekeeper".

Today I have spent the day trying to call him, or speak to someone.  I was finally able to speak to his nurse tonight.  I suggested his food intake needed to be monitored as he has been trying to limit his food, and it is really not adequate for his size.  

This is particularly hard, as about 3 years ago, about this same time he had a really bad patch, and both happen around our anniversary, November 16th.  We will be married 45 years on November 16th.  I am terrified of him not making it out of rehab.  If he is not eating, he is not going to get stronger. 

Anyway, my usual activities have been disrupted this week, mainly from worry.  I have been cleaning house.  I deep cleaned the living room, which is where his hospital bed is.  And as he has asthma, I want to keep it as dust free as possible.  But also because he is in this room 100% of the time, it is hard to get a thorough cleaning.  I borrowed my daughter's carpet cleaner and it is cleaner than it has been for several years, and all ready for him to be back home.

Also John's brother Roger is coming for a visit until after Thanksgiving.  This was already scheduled and I am hoping Roger is able to see John while he is here.  

I have been too distracted to sew.  I can't seem to sit still, and I am not watching TV at night like John and I do together, so haven't been stitching.  I did get this Ella Maria Deacon done last week before all this started.


I also got my Father Christmases together.  I still have a sashing and a border to put on.  I hope to do that this week.


So for Slow Sunday Stitching, hopefully I will be able to work on the rest of my Ella Maria Deacon blocks done.  I also hope to prep some more applique for when my brother-in-law gets here, so I have something to do while he is here.  I am going to have to take down my quilting machine in the dining room, and my sewing machine in the kitchen.  


I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over there and see what everyone is up to!  

Thanks so much for stopping by and listening to me ramble.

13 comments:

  1. You are not rambling at all, Karrin. You are amazing with the care of your husband. What a horrible week you and your husband are having. How distressing to be experiencing all this uncertainty, worry and turmoil. I hope with this coming week there are more answers as to what is wrong with your husband. I will be thinking of you. Sending you the warmest of hugs.Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a worrying week for you! Being a caregiver is stressful at the best of times and these are not those times. I hope they figure out how to improve your husband's situation soon so he can come home. In the meantime, take care of yourself...you will need all of your strength going forward. Sending a socially distanced hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, such a tough week! I am so sorry. It is good to have some stitching to distract. You have created beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karrin, I am so sorry that you have had such a stressful week. When my mom was in the hospital for a few days in April I had similar issues especially since her hearing aid batteries died and I couldn't bring more. It is so hard being the caregiver as well as the voice for our loved ones. I am hoping your husband improves soon. Keeping you in my prayers. Hugs. I hope you can stitch to keep your mind away from worry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear the troubling week you have had. I hope they are able to find a way to keep him nourished and work on getting him stronger so he can get back home. I really hope they allow you in as that is the best medicine for him. Big hugs to you and I hope he is able to be home for your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so sorry to hear about this, Karrin. Tough times for your husband, made even tougher because you can hardly be there with him. I am sending my most positive thoughts for him to improve this week. It's so hard to concentrate on anything else when things like this are happening. In spite of everything, look how wonderful your Father Christmas quilt top is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is so hard... I'm sending you big quilty hugs!
    Hope he improves this week and comes home for a great reunion visit with his brother.
    And I hope you have lots of stitching therapy for your worried nerves this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping for the very best for you and your husband! Hang in there, Karrin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karrin I'm so sorry to hear that your husband is so poorly! You have had a really horrible, distressing week! I'm sending big hugs across the pond and I hope he's home again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to read about your husband's health issues. Such a worrying time for you both, but hopefully with him in hospital they can come up with an answer and a health plan. No wonder you cant settle to stitch. Do take care and look after yourself as well, hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karrin. I’m so sorry that John is having issues now, and it’s doubly hard in these Covid times. Just take it a day at a time. Our hobbies rightfully take a back seat to our loved ones, so that is where your energies and focus should be. But do, if you can, check in occasionally to let us know how you’re both doing. Hugs and prayers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryl9:25 PM

    I hope everything is improving for your husband. COVID is causing so much stress for all of us. I am having the same challenges with my husband who has some of the same symptoms and does not have COVID with hospitals and rehabs here in Sun City West not allowing spouses to visit even with window visits. I always enjoy your posts and hope your creative projects help you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a difficult situation for you. I hope he is back home with you soon.

    ReplyDelete