Saturday, November 28, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Hope everyone here in the U.S had a Happy Thanksgiving!  

Ours was sort of messed up.  We were having it here, and so I spent the week cleaning house, cleaning carpet, shopping for groceries.  This is all amidst John's therapists in the morning, 2-3 each day, and helping him do his therapy exercises, and being his cheerleader, trying to get him motivated to want to stay awake.  He is not really inclined to think of doing his exercises on his own.  The one good thing that happened this week has been he has been sitting up 3 times a day to eat his meals.  

So Wednesday evening, after everything else had been done, I started making 5 pies, cranberry sauce, and ambrosia.  Before I went to bed I had some new avocado salsa that was being advertised lately and some chips.  That night I got no sleep, my calves felt like rubber bands all night from standing all day long, and my abdomen felt weird.

Thanksgiving morning, I got up and fed John, got his exercises done, and started working on dressing.  I had started having diarrhea, and it got worse and worse.  I don't think that salsa agreed with me the night before, or maybe it was bad, but I kept thinking "I can't do Thanksgiving here", entertain everyone, clean up afterward.  So I called one of my daughters, told them I had everything done.  John's brother Roger would cook the turkey in the BBQ, all they had to do was pick up the food, make mashed potatoes and green beans.  So that is what happened, I pretty much cooked the meal, sent it over to my daughter's house and they celebrated without us.   They were very thankful I made the gravy too.  John and I had some stuffing and gravy set aside for dinner, and Roger brought back leftovers later.  

Daughter Katie captured pictures of Thanksgiving day with my two daughters and their families, and sister.  






Sadly, John's brother Roger left this morning to return home to North Carolina.   So I no longer have the vast amount of help Roger provided with John's care.  Hopefully he will continue to get stronger and we can manage by ourselves again.  Therapy will still be continuing to come out daily.  

Roger wanted some pictures before he left this morning of us with John.  John doesn't usually smile but he did with our picture, not with the one with him and Roger.  My picture isn't very flattering at this angle, but at least we got some taken. 



I have gotten absolutely zilch done this week quilting wise.  

For Slow Sunday Stitching this week I hope to work on this Ella Maria Deacon block from last month.  I hope to get my sewing machine back out this week and get to working again on Christmas presents.  


I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and find out what everyone else has been up to.

Thanks for stopping by!  

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are getting a bit better around your house! Sounds like John is making some good progress! I hope you find some time to relax and enjoy some stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you had to miss Thanksgiving with your family, Karrin. One more thing on top of the tough times you and John have had recently. I do hope he continues to improve. That EMD block looks like a pretty one! Wishing you some time to relax and stitch today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope things keep getting better at your home and hope you are feeling much better. The quilt block is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a shame you missed thanksgiving with your family. But very glad your husband seems to be improving and it's a lovely photo of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you could not get together with your family for Thanksgiving. I hope you are feeling much better now. John looks like he is improving since his recent set back. You two look great in your picture! Beautiful quilt block. Hope you get a few moments here and there to do some sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a lot of things. Taking care of others is tiring. I'm glad he is improving. I saw beautiful smiles, you two look great. The quilt block is awesome. Happy stitching

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet hand stitching project--hope you get to spend a little time with needle and thread after all the work you're doing alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Food poisoning is so awful! I'm so sorry it put a dent in your holiday. But that smile on John's face shows his love for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, Karrin, another week where it is all happening. It is good that John has had a better week. I am sorry you missed out on celebrating Thanksgiving with your family. I am hoping that you are feeling better this week and that you will be okay without the help of John's brother. I am hoping, too, that there is a lot of time where you can sit, put your aching legs up and enjoy a little hand stitching. Your Ella Maria Deacon is looking lovely. Take care, lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, I hope you are all recovered from the tummy troubles. It sounds like John had a better week - that is very good news. Sorry the extra hands have headed home but hopefully the therapies will continue to help John improve. Big hugs to you. Don't forget to take some much needed you time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just one more lousy thing in 2020, right? I am sure your family appreciated your wonderful meal though. Hang in there Karrin. It is going to improve!!! Hope you are feeling back to normal by now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry that your Thanksgiving problem kept you from joining in the celebration but I am sure the cooked food was appreciated by those that got together. I took home a turkey dinner on Wednesday before the holiday from a local diner and heated it up on the day. Isolating is not fun when you live alone.

    ReplyDelete