Saturday, February 27, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

February is National Embroidery Month, and I seem to have been keeping busy with embroidery in the evenings.  I finished this squirrel piece from the Kathy Schmitz One Stitch at a Time Embroidery Club.  



This was the second one I finished this week.  


And I started this one, which I hope to finish for my Slow Sunday Stitching this week, because the new pattern comes out on March 1st.



I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.    Head on over and check what everyone has been up to!  

What I am spending my Saturday evening doing is ripping out this free motion quilting I did on my project for the Dust Off a Quilt Book that starts on Monday.  I started quilting and checked my tension on the back and it looked fine.  I was 2/3 done quilting and I checked the tension again on the back, and it looked like this, so therefore I am ripping out the bad part.  I have a lot of eyelashes on the back.  

Last week, Barbara @Cat Patches had a post about going back to the area she grew up in, Oceanside/Vista area in Southern California.  This led me to looking up online to what the house we lived in looked like now.

I was born in Maryland, and we moved to Vista, California in 1964 when I was 14.  My parents bought this house, that had property, about 1-3/4 acres.  We had fig trees on the left side of the house, lemon trees in the back of the house.  As you are looking at the house out front, to the right there were eucalyptus trees and kamquats between our house and the neighbors.  I The house was originally a builders personal home that was built in 1959.  It was painted yellow, with white trim.  All I have is this black and white picture.  It was a very pretty property and a great place to grow up.  

After I saw Barbara's post, I started looking up our property.  My parents lived there until the early 80's I think.  I had to try to remember our address, and I finally pinpointed it by knowing the neighbor's that lived behind us.  

This is apparently the property now.  I almost didn't recognize it.   It is owned by some plumbers.  I don't know if it is a residence or business now.  I almost didn't recognize it, with almost all the vegetation down, and the barn off to the side.  



I guess it is true you can't go back.  

Guess I'd better get busy ripping out!  Thanks for stopping by!  



13 comments:

  1. Your embroidery looks lovely, sorry you had to spend your Saturday evening ripping the quilting out, that is so frustrating! I hope you got it all done in one evening. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your childhood house changed a LOT! I just love Kathy Schmitz and I love your embroideries. Bummer on ripping stitches, but good thing you found it early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely embroideries, but very annoying that you have to rip out some quilting. Your family home has changed quite a lot but there are some recognisable bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy. Your embroidery is so pretty. I like the snowman piece. Your childhood home looks like it was a great place to live. My mother still lives in the home I grew up in....60 years after she moved in. I visit almost every day. So sorry you have to rip out your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your embroideries are lovely, what a shame you have to rip out stitches it's so frustrating when that happens and it seems to happen to me a lot haha. Your childhood home has changed a lot, it's strange to look at a place you grew up in and see it so different, my family home has changed out of all recognition. Have a good week. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of pretty embroidery going on there, Karrin! I joined the One Stitch at a Time club this year, too, but haven't gotten the February design even traced yet. It looks like a fun one! Interesting to see the changes in your childhood home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Sunday--sorry about the ripping out--
    love your embroidery pieces--love the squirrel and love this new one with the bird nest--
    I know you can't go back--but every so often when I am in the state of NY I do try to get someone to take me the road where I grew up--always changes!!
    have an awesome week-
    luv, di

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your embroideries are so beautiful! Cute motifs!
    Sorry you had to ripping the quilt seam.
    It's always nice to look back at old photos.
    Nice to see before and now photos, and your childhood home has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beutiful embroideries. Love the blue snowman, so cute.
    You grown in a wonderful place. I can imagine how many memories you carry from there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bummer on the ripping out. I am lucky I get to go back to my 'home' each year and visit my parents who have lived in the same house for over 60 years. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a lovely home to grow up in, Karrin. There must be so many wonderful memories swirling around your childhood home. All three of your embroideries are pretty. I especially love the sweet little blue one. Yikes....machines and the tension. It is always fraught with problems. How annoying that everything was fine in the beginning, then the machine decided to act up! I love long eye lashes, just not on the back of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty little embroideries, I really like the squirrel, we dont have them here in New Zealand. Such a shame to have to unpick machine quilting, that will be rather a big job I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The house I grew has since been torn down. It is nice to look back sometimes I really miss those good old days! That squirrel is too cute!

    ReplyDelete