Saturday, July 03, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching, Happy Fourth of July!


Happy 4th of July!   I plan to head over to my daughter's for dinner and fireworks tonight.  Hope everyone has a safe holiday!  

It's been another busy week and time to report in for Slow Sunday Stitching @Kathy's Quilts.    This week I have had my grandchildren three days so that kept me busy.  A couple of the days we were painting rocks.  I joined in.  Painting has always soothed my soul, whether painting walls, water colors,  ceramics, painting bisque for dolls, and now painting rocks.  My grandchildren had a good time, especially Klara.  

I should have taken pictures of the children's rocks before they took them home.  Keaton, their older cousin was here one day and painted a car on a rock for his dad for his birthday.

These are the two I finished.  This one is for my sister-in-law.  


I made this one for myself.  


My slow stitching this week will consist of working on these two projects.  I started a new washcloth for my daughter.  She chose this neutral color.  I ripped out my blue whale washcloth.  I just couldn't straighten the pattern out, so I started a new one.


I also started this new Kathy Schmitz embroidery.  I worked on this during my road trip this week, more about that later.  


I finished this piece this week.  This was from several years ago, and I already had it traced on fabric.  


I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts at Slow Sunday Stitching.    Head on over and check out what everyone has been up to!

Thursday was my son-in-law Jeff's BD and we headed over to Moss Beach for lunch and an afternoon at the beach.   We had a delicious lunch at Moss Beach Distillery.  

This restaurant dates back to the Prohibition era when it was a speakeasy called Frank's Place.  Owner Frank Torres built the club in 1927.  Reportedly, illegal whiskey was brought from ships to the beach, and into vehicles for transport to San Francisco.  

Supposedly the restaurant is haunted by "The Blue Lady" who was a woman who frequented the bar dressed in blue.  The story is that she was married and having an affair with Frank Torres' piano player named Charlie.  One night her estranged husband came in looking for her and caught them at the bar.  He caused a scene and was tossed out by bouncers.  Later that night the lovers took a stroll down on the beach, when a man, believed to be  her husband ambushed them and stabbed her in the back.  She was found dead and her lover unconscious the next morning.  This story was featured on Most Terrifying places which aired on the Travel Channel in 2019.  

We didn't see the Blue Lady, but had a wonderful time at the restaurant and on the beach.  It was in the 60's and somewhat overcast but we all loved it!


Granddaughter Kyleigh and her dad Jeff


Kyleigh, and her boyfriend Drew and Keaton.


Daughter Kristen and Jeff


Those little specks on the hill are Kyleigh and Drew climbing


Jeff and I




We stopped in Half Moon Bay on the way home at some flower growers we had passed the last time.  I was in heaven in an orchid shop!  They were very reasonable prices and I bought a beautiful small orchid with tons of blooms that had not opened yet.  Next time we go over, we want to stop by a carniverous plant shop , and I will surely want to revisit the orchid shop! 

I guess that it is it for this week.   Thanks so much for stopping by!




8 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful July 4th. Your knitting looks wonderful and those painted rocks are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your painted rocks, Karrin
    Happy 4th of July, and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great little trip. Your painted rocks are so pretty and I love the new embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you've had a good family week. What kind of paint do you use to paint the rocks? Sounds like a good activity for my grandsons. You have made a good start on your new embroidery project, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those rocks that you painted! You're good at that! Looks like a wonderful day at Moss Beach with your family, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Awesome painted rocks...your embroidery piece is
    beautiful...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your painted Rick's are gorgeous, I'm sure your grand kids enjoyed doing that with you. Lovely stitching too. Looks like your family had a wonderful birthday celebration with their Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rock is magnificent! The colors are so cool and refreshing, a lovely job, and a lovely time celebrating your son in laws birthday!

    ReplyDelete