Sunday, October 09, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching, Long post

It's been a couple of weeks since I posted.  Two weeks ago, my daughter and I worked at a plant sale for several hours both Saturday and Sunday representing the Begonia Society.  I was finally able get rid of the begonias I was babysitting.  This is JJ another member of the Begonia Society.  It is fun to work with her, she has a quick sense of humor.  


The only trouble with working at the plant sale, with all sorts of plants is that I might have gotten in a little trouble  Right across the aisle from us was a booth selling staghorn ferns, bromeliads and bonsai plants.  I was tempted by this staghorn fern.


I also got these Gesneriaceae, of the African violet family I think.  They were at the table with African violets.


I also got this bromeliad and another mini begonia that was sold at another table.


I also got a few outdoor plants, a 2 new geraniums and a butterbur plant.  



My shelf in the kitchen is getting a little full.  



Last Sunday was grandson Keaton's BD.  He just turned 16, and got his driver's permit.  






This was a picture at one of the two proms he went to recently with his girlfriend Addie.  They go to different high schools, so attended both proms.

I've been working on a number of projects recently.  I made this wallhanging for my stepdaughter Dawn's BD.  I took a coloring page and fused a bunch of batiks and cut out the felt letters with my Cricut machine.  


I've prepped 4 blocks for the Woolie Gnome Stitch Along from Calico Patch Designs on Facebook.  I just need to start hand stitching the pieces down.


This is what I will be working on for Slow Sunday Stitching.  I'll be linking up with Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.    Head on over and see what everyone is up to.


In case you haven't heard already, Carole @ My Carolina Home is having her annual Autumn Jubilee, with multiple projects, multiple sponsors.  I always look forward to this every year.  I found out Saturday morning that I was a winner of a $50 gift certificate from 
One Of The Flock, who have a great Etsy shop with wools, felts and all sorts of great kits.  

The other thing I have been up to is working on an extensive yard project with a landscaping guy.   With the ongoing drought in California, I am having my two lawn areas in my front taken out and replaced by bark.  I also need two 40+ year old birch trees that are half dead taken out.   This the side yard.  The plan is to take the grass out, plant a couple of trees with drip irrigation going to them.



The plan is also to take out the grass in front of the garage, take out the cinder blocks I was using as a garden, and make a larger garden area encompassed by moss rocks.  I spent several hours digging up plants and putting them in pots temporarily.  The plants in containers will be moved closer to the November 1st when my project will be started.  


There are also plans to take out some juniper tams in this front section.  I have a circular driveway and there is a garden area in front of the driveway and in front of the sidewalk. The junipers have been there probably for 40+ years and I am tired of them.  I plan to redo this garden area, but I am waiting to see how much the other things I want done first.  The landscaper is coming on Monday or Tuesday to give  me the estimates.  


I also am redoing this garden in front of the house.  I have 2 camellias that are not doing that well, and the garden area is covered by plastic covered with bark.  The ground underneath is 44+ year old packed soil I cannot dig in.  So the camellias are being taken out, the soil broken up and made into something I can plant in.  I always have to plant everything in a pot and it is annoying.  I have hardpan.  They are also putting in drip irrigation in all gardens and in the front section so the cedar gets watered better.  

I also made a couple of yummy meals.  I love pimento cheese, I grew up with it, but haven't really made it in years.  John didn't care for pimentos.  He had a bad experience in the Navy where they put pimentos in lime Jello.  He loved Jello, and felt the pimentos ruined it.  Anyway the pimentos jumped out at me at the grocery store the other day, so I made some.

I also made some Pozole.  Traditional Mexican pozole is a rich, brothy soup made with pork, hominy and red chiles.  I also added some chicken I had leftover from a rotisserie chicken.  It is like a soup, with salad on top.  I added cabbage, avocado, jalapeno, radishes, cilantro,  and tortilla chips.  It was yummy and I also froze some.  


This week our singing group will visit a nursing home.  We are booked for October and November.  Granddaughter Klara has a performance this week which I will attend.  My BD is Wednesday and on Thursday my girls, grandaughter, her boyfriend, and his mother and grandmother are going to do this painting thing tentatively.  You paint your own item, whatever you pick.  

Sorry this turned into a book, but a lot has been going on.  

Thanks for stopping by!
 














16 comments:

  1. Your gnome quilt is so very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karrin, oh there are beautiful new plants on your home, and your plans for remodeling the garden sounds great. The pineapple wallhanging lookgs pretty good, as all the gnome blocks. Congrats for beeing a winner and Happy, happy birthday to you. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty plants that came home with you. Lots going on in your life to keep you hopping. So glad you are enjoying the singing group. The meals sound yummy. The painting this week sounds like a fun time with your family. Enjoy and Happy Early Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plant shelf is looking so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many pretty plants to enjoy! I have a few but generally I don't take good care of them and they don't last long :)
    Your Christmas gnomes are adorable... happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my goodness, what an interesting blog post. I love how the pineapple birthday gift came out. You have quite an extensive landscaping project planned. I think the best plan would be to go with native and drought resistant landscaping. My son has been telling us that there has been very little rain. We just had five rainy days in a row here, so our drought restrictions have eased a little. Enjoy using your gift certificate. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your handsome grandson his girlfriend is so pretty, you can't have too many plants although I think I can there's no space for anymore in my home haha. Your stitching it lovely, I love the Gnomes. There's so much going on I hope that the yard work goes well and you have a lovely birthday. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday for later this week, have a wonderful day out. Tidying up the garden, good plans to make it all easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:57 PM

    Nice collection of Plants. Those gnomes are adorable and look like a fun project! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly have big plans for your gardens and yards, hope it all goes well for you. And your 16 year old grandson certainly towers over you, doesn't he!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been busy! I love the gnomes. And the pineapple you made for stepdaughter is lovely. Great plans to make your yard more water efficient and useable for gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Early happy birthday to you! Keaton is quite the good looking young man, and he and Addie make a cute couple. Love your little pineapple mini. Your indoor plants look pretty, and how nice your outdoor area will get a makeover. I hope you'll post some "after" photos. Love pimento cheese AND I love anything with hominy in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a book, but a great fun to read. You have so much going on. I love the idea of changing things out do to the drought. Great idea. And a very happy birthday coming up with a wish for lots of love and laughter filling up your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun to win a gift certificate and maybe it is a little pre-birthday celebration. The landscape work looks to be a lot - I am not a gardener and dread it when I have to do it. Mostly, I have others do it as everyone else around me is a gardener and my house would look awful if I didn't. Wishing you a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post! You are right, so much going on! Those plants would have come home with me too. Neat to win that certificate. What a handsome grandson! I've never heard of that dish you made...very interesting. When I was in Jamaica I saw pimentoes growing in the wild and was fascinated by it. Good luck with the landscaping! Hope your birthday is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you've had a lot going on! The new plants you got are really pretty; they all look very nice, the ones on the shelf too. Love the gnomes, and Happy Birthday!! xx

    ReplyDelete