Sunday, July 16, 2023

HQAL, Slow Sunday Stitching

It was another fun-filled week.  I did get a chance earlier in the week to work on my Picnic Party challenge project which is hosted by Carol @Just Let Me Quilt .  I also got  some things done for Christmas in July Blog Hop by Sarah @Confessions of a Fabric Addict .  Sarah is having a quilt along right now.  

We had Community Service Basting Day on Wednesday.  The rest of the week I have been trying to get outside at the crack of dawn and get stuff down as we are in 100 degree weather here.  We were 106 Saturday, and due to be 110 Sunday.   My 40+ year old camellia has been struggling.  All the leaves were falling off.   This was my shade for my begonias, and therefore my begonias have been failing too, they have been getting burnt up in the heat.   I have an open ended shed that mainly stores tools and empty pots.  I rearranged the tools and pots, and put some plant stands in the shed, and put my begonias out there.  They are being protected from the sun.  The shed has two high windows, so they can get some indirect light.  


Next I took out my handy-dandy reciprocal saw and whacked that poor camellia down.  



I am hoping one of grandson Jaeger's friends who has a winch on the front of his jeep will help me pull the stump out.

On another note, my dahlias and hollyhocks are doing well.



Also I have an several asparagus plants I planted several years ago.  About 3 weeks ago, 1 stalk of asparagus came up.  I cut it down, and I have another one coming up.  I know nothing about how asparagus grows, but I guess I should have planted more plants.  


My sister-in-law Char sent a picture of their new pillow shams I made with the lighthouse quilt I made.  I was worried they wouldn't fit, but they did.  



This week my friend Jandra and I went to lunch, and our favorite vintage thrift store.  I found a couple of things.  One vender had put a bunch of her doilies on sale for $3.00 each. 


I also found this cute little lighthouse purse.  I don't like to carry a large purse anymore and this is just perfect for me.  It is like a purse and wallet all in one.  



Also at the same thrift shop I saw this cute idea.  A piece of driftwood, with a stick attached and part of a doily for a sail.  I probably have a scarf I can use to make one myself.  



I have been working on more potato chip blocks.  I would like to have a couple of more quilts made by the time I have community service workday at my house the end of the month.  



I have two things I am working on slow stitching this week.  First I will finish sewing the binding down on my Picnic Party project.


The other thing I am working on is a baby quilt that was donated at our last guild meeting.  It had a note on it that said "needs outer borders quilted"  I volunteered to do it, then got home and looked at it, and realized that it was hand quilted.  I am not a very fast hand quilter, but I am pretty sure I can get it done by the guild meeting next Wednesday.  



Check out what the other hand quilters and piecers are doing below.

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.


KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Connie

 

I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and check out what those ladies have been up to also.  


Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to come back next week for Picnic Party

9 comments:

  1. you sure are working on a lot of things aren't you. It sounds like maybe it is too hot for your plants outside? I keep mine out on the porch and they are always in shade and it is humid which most likely makes a difference. I love hand quilting and nice to see others do it to - I think I have been hand quilting for almost 35 years now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Karrin with lots of interesting tidbits. I too would not have left those items at the thrift store. It is a true treasure hunt, isn't it. You are getting lots of stitching done too. How nice to see a photo of the quilt and pillow cases you made. Beautiful! Continued good luck with the growing season too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see your lighthouse quilt being enjoy! The pillow shams are a great addition! So lovely of you to take on finishing someone else's project... good luck with quilting the borders! Enjoy your binding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:53 AM

    I am older and just don't understand all the ways to comment, i.e. on google account. Don't know if I have one or how to use it properly, etc. I am interested in the potato chips block pattern. Could you email me a way to get it? brendafurlong@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:33 AM

    The pillow shams look great with the lighthouse quilt! Potato chip blocks use up lots of scraps! Stay cool! Gail at the Cozy Quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some plants thrive in the hot sun, but others not so much. Hope you can save the begonias! Fun to see what you're working on, and looking forward to seeing your Picnic Party project. I like those potato chip blocks - are they made with 1.2 inch pieces? Have a great day, Karrin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your thrift finds. Sorry about the camelia plant. I like all the projects that you are currently working on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of all the things you showed, I was most sad about the Camilla plant loss. The thing I liked the best was that doily as a sail. That will be terrific, and I know you can make one even better. What good thrift buys, and potato chip - always a favorite. I have a set to put together soon. I should be quilting a quilt for the rest of the month, though - not by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That doily sail is such a unique and cute idea! You are a busy lady, but I have no doubt you will gate that border done by your next guild meeting. The heat there is crazy! We have had a cool, wet summer, so the weeds are way out of control, but this week I am going to work on them everyday and try to make a huge dent,

    ReplyDelete