Saturday, July 22, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

It has been another busy week, and I am a bit tired out.  A lot of it could be the 108 degree weather.  It is still 100 degrees at 7:30 p.m on Saturday night.  

Tuesday night was begonia meeting.  Every meeting they buy a bunch of plants, they can be begonias, or other plants.  This month there were a bunch of ferns and other things too.  You can purchase tickets for $3.00 and wait till your number is called, and then you choose your plants.  I bought 2 tickets this time.  My first number was called about 2/3 of the way through and I got an OK plant.  It is a begonia, and looks healthy. 





My second number was called next to last and this was one of the ones left.  I have no idea if it will survive till the next meeting.


Meanwhile most all of my begonias that I moved to the open ended shed are crispy critters due to our weather recently.  I have been pretty discouraged this week because of that.  We are supposed to be looking at begonias we can put in our show in September and I have few to chose from, mostly the ones in the house that haven't been attacked by the mealybugs.

Meanwhile there was Guild Meeting on Wednesday, and we received quite a few tops for Community Service this time, that we will cut batting and binding for on workday this Wednesday at my house.  

The Picnic Party Challenge organized by Carol @Just Let Me Quilt was this week, and my day was here.  I was having some difficulty getting the zipper in a quilted picnic bag.  I worked the rest of the week, and I was able to get the zipper in, sew down all the bindings by hand.  All I need to do now is attach the handle.  I also plan to make napkins.




Another thing I have been doing this week is looking for shorts and sleeveless tops.  I will be going to Disneyland in a couple of weeks with my family.  I haven't bought new shorts for probably 30 years, and my old ones were cotton knit, baggy as I used to weigh a lot more.  Plus if I put my cell phone in my pocket, it drags my shorts down.  I also like longer shorts as I feel I have ugly legs.  I had bilateral knee surgery when I was in my teens, plus numerous varicose veins.  It has been hotter than Hades around here, and I really would like to get my legs tan before I go to Disneyland.   I ordered some from Amazon, but sent them back as I didn't like the fabric or the way they looked.  I also ordered some sleeveless tops, but wasn't pleased with those either and sent them back.

I have been to TJ Max, Ross, Goodwill, Kohls.  Looked online at Old Navy, Pennys etc.  A lot of the stores are selling these crop tops.  I don't need my belly showing either.  Saturday afternoon I went to a local thrift store and they had longer jean shorts that fit.  They were marked $10 and $15.  I got up to the front to check out, and they were both on sale and I got 2 pairs of shorts for $8!




Sarah @Confessions of a Fabric Addict has been having her 12 Days of Christmas in July Blog Hop.  Today is Day 10 of the hop.  I will be posting on the 12th day, Tuesday.  

What I will continue working on this week and  for Slow Sunday Stitching is to continue hand quilting this baby quilt that was donated to our guild's Community Service.  I finished to borders on two sides, and have 2 more.  




I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Check out what everyone has been up to.  

Thanks for stopping by!



7 comments:

  1. The heat arrived here yesterday, I am hoping we only have a week of it, and maybe get a thunderstorm somewhere in the middle. (We don’t have AC, so 100 is pretty ugly for us. I can’t imagine dealing with the sustained heat that you have had this year. It’s the dirty 30’s all over again!
    The picnic hamper looks wonderful, love the fabrics you used. The baby quilt is moving right along; it is nice to have handwork to do when you don’t want to be outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you check the on line Land's End for shorts and tops? I have ordered pants from them and then decided to cut them off for capri's instead and they were lightweight. I have a horrible time finding tops though - so may are kind of long and they are always too tight across the hips but fit elsewhere so if I order to fit the hips then the whole top looks too baggy. Where can a person get clothes to fit the 60-80 year old that doesn't like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry your begonias are struggling so much in the heat - and you, too! 108 is hot!!! My favorite pair of shorts ever has come from Duluth Trading Co. They are called "Dry on the Fly," and are knee length. They are pricey, but seem like they will last a long time. I bought pants and capris in the same line. Do you have one of their stores nearby? I'm sure you can also find them online. Your picnic bag looks like it is turning out wonderfully! Have a great week, Karrin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have a trip to Disneyland coming up, I do hope the extreme temps will have dropped by then. Otherwise it may well be too hot to do much at all. Lucky you getting such a bargain on your shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hard time finding shorts too. I hope you have a wonderful time when you go to Disneyland. Your quilt is looking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, what a good buy on shorts you can actually wear! I don't, or sleeveless shirts, either, but I've started checking the thrift stores first these days. I found two pairs of Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans, and they are my favorites, plus fit best. I need to go looking again, because that was back in late April. Must be time for another runaway day!

    ReplyDelete