Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Picnic Party Challenge, My Day

  


 

The Picnic Party Challenge started on Monday, hosted by the amazing Carol @Just Let Me Quilt. Many thanks to Carol for thinking up another fun challenge!

Carol's Challenge this time was to make something to use for a picnic, such as a quilt, basket, or tote.    There have been some lovely projects in the previous days.  If you haven't had a chance to see what everyone has come up with so far, the entire schedule is listed below.  

When I heard of this challenge, I knew exactly what I was going to do.  I bought these two fabrics back in the early 2000's and I always thought they looked like a table topper or picnic quilt. They have been sitting on top of a cabinet all these years, collecting dust, waiting to be made.  


I used my Accuquilt, and Carpenter's Wheel die to cut out four blocks.  I have no affiliation with Accuquilt, but I love their system, and especially how smoothly blocks go together.  



The quilt measures about 50 inches square.  This is going to be a birthday gift for my granddaughter Kyleigh.  Her and her boyfriend are always going hiking or on other adventures and I thought it would be nice.  I found this image on Etsy to make the label.  I was going to put it on the front of the quilt, but couldn't decide how or where, so used it as a label.



Then last week I got to thinking about a Picnic in the Park bag I had seen on Pinterest, Patterns by Annie.  I thought it would be a perfect addition to the picnic quilt.  I ordered the pattern online, and Soft and Stable.  But not a big enough piece of Soft and Stable, so went out last Friday and found more, plus the mesh and hardware I needed to complete the bag.  



I was going along fine, sewing, quilting the pieces, binding the mesh compartments, and started putting it together.  I had visions of finishing this for this challenge.  Then the night before my day to post, I am trying to attach the top to the zipper.  I have a dislike of doing zippers, and I tried to forget about that.  This is a 40 inch zipper.  I have it around the top of the unit, but apparently didn't divide it up evenly enough on the other side to attach it to the main bag.  This is the back of the bag.


Inside top and front


I still need to attach the bottom too, but at least it doesn't involve a zipper.  There is a sleeve to put a piece of cardboard or plastic in to make it sturdier..

I will get this finished up in the next day or two so it will be ready for Kyleigh's BD in August.

Be sure and visit the other bloggers below and leave a kind word!


July 17

 July 18

Inflorescence


July 19

 
July 20
 

Thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

  1. I'm sure your granddaughter will love the beautiful quilt and the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute quilt, Karrin - I love the bright, happy colors! The label is perfect for it, too. Good luck getting the bag together - it looks like you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt, and the bag is amazing! I am so impressed. The fabrics on the quilt are just perfect. Kyleigh will be so pleased. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picnic quilt and I love that your did some stash busting for it as well. That picnic tote bag is a wonderful addition. Good luck with the zipper. It's sure to be a labor of love that Kyleigh will enjoy for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is so beautiful - perhaps too pretty to use on a picnic! It is great but so is the picnic bag. You've already tackled most of the bag and I'm sure you'll have it together in no time at all! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that bag is more adventurous then I would want to do! I can make a wildly complicated quilt but ask me to make a bag with a zipper and I would throw in the towel lol. I love your picnic quilt - I have a Carpenter's Wheel quilt I am working on and will bring it out again next week I think to get back to work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabrics really are perfect for your picnic quilt and the design looks amazing...love it! It looks like a great quilt to take on a picnic and that label is just the best. I need to remember that one for the next picnic quilt I make. I love the Annie bags, but those big zippers scare me. I can't wait to see how it finishes up. I'm sure it will be beautiful, Karrin, like everything else you make. Thanks for sharing your picnic fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilt and the bag is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilt and the bag, Karrin! I love those ByAnnie bags! I have the Carpenter's Wheel die and need to break it out and use it! Thanks for the nudge! I do love my AccuQuilt toys! Thanks for sharing your picnic fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your picnic quilt is great! And once the bag is done, it'll be the perfect duo! Thanks for sharing, even if you didn't get the bag finished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the perfect picnic quilt! Great fabrics! The picnic bag is really nice and you have done a super job putting it together. Good luck with that zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great present for her! I know you will conquer that zipper and have a wonderful set for all their hikes and picnics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty quilt and bag. That label is nice as well. Your granddaughter will love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:16 AM

    Love everything - I am ready for a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty quilt and the bag will be perfect. Zippers can be tricky at the best of times but attaching to the top of a rectangular bag is super tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:34 PM

    Zippers can certainly drive us crazy! I love the bag and your picnic blanket is gorgeous. Take your time and finish it when you can...then enjoy indoor or outdoor picnics all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous picnic quilt! Your label is perfect. Good luck finishing the tote....they are annoying will all that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great gift for the adventurous couple. I share your thoughts on zippers gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh. They just never behave themselves.

    ReplyDelete