Sunday, September 10, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

It was another busy week.  This week I had board meeting.  The sensor light came on for my tires and I went and had them filled.  The next day the light came on again as I was driving.  I sent to a tire place and they told me that 4 of my sensors were out and needed replaced at the tune of $100 each.  I asked SIL Jeff what I should do and he suggested the tire place across from his used car lot.  I found out that actually 2 of my sensors are out, and I have a bubble in one of my less than 2-year-old tires.  So I head back over on Monday to get the problem fixed.  

Friday afternoon-evening I worked helping setting up for our annual Begonia Show.  I pretty much worked until I dropped.  I also came home with 6 new begonias.  

These are the the tables we set up.  



I didn't think to take pictures of the show plants, but I will when I work on Sunday.    I didn't put anything in the show this year because of my problem with mealybugs and the ones that were outside that had heat damage.  I did hear from one of the clerks that helped the judges that 2 of the plants in the show had to be taken out because they were infested with mealy bugs, and they probably would have one first places.  

This week I worked on a mat for my sewing machine with pockets.  I watched a You Tube video with Jenny with Missouri Star for the directions.  



This week I have picked up my Ella Maria Deacon blocks again.  This was a BOM I was working on through Sentimental Stitches several years ago.  After my husband passed away two years ago, I stopped working on it.  I had 84/85 blocks done.  This is my last block I need to do.  It is a paper-pieced block, and I am lousy at paper-piecing.  If there was a simple way I could applique it, I would.  



I'm going to a quilt retreat soon, and my co-chair of Community Service loves to do paper piecing and is going to help me through this.  I tried again this week 4--5 times, and have set it aside for now. 

I also discovered, in putting my blocks together that this one I had already finished was wonky and would not lay flat.  So I started over 3 times.  Gay from Sentimental Stitches suggested hand-piecing the center, and then adding the sides and corners.  I tried machine piecing the whole thing, and that didn't work.  I tried taking blocks apart and trying to do it better.




I finally did manage to make it again, that sort of lies flat.  


On Instagram #100hexies100days2023, this week's theme was "Pawsome", so I went through mostly my 30's stash and found fabrics.  



What I will be working on for Slow Sunday Stitching is hand-quilting my sunflower quilt.  It has been sitting in a chair in my living room looking at me for months.  I am starting to feel guilty.  I'll work on it till I have another applique project prepped.  Another thing I have set aside since John passed away is my applique which brings me great joy.  



I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.   Head on over and check out what everyone has been up to.  

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. too bad about the tires - that seems odd that all the sensors went at the same time. Those are nice quilts you are working on - good luck getting that one to lay flat sometimes it is almost next to impossible.!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sunflower quilt is looking so good! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:47 AM

    You have so many wonderful projects to work on. Isn’t it great to have talented friends to help us when we get stuck? Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  4. You work so hard, Karrin and seem to put your heart and soul into all your ventures. I would have loved that plant show and what a shame about the mealybugs. Nice to see a roundup of your stitching projects. I will attempt any pattern if I can break it into EPP bits. Machine stitching is my nemesis. I should work harder at getting better at that. Anyway, enjoy your slow stitching on that lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lot of begonias! I really like the mat you made for your sewing machine - it matches the pincushion/thread catcher. You're making some challenging blocks for the BOM - I'm sure they will all come together for you. Enjoy your stitching today, and hope the tire problem is all fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I do hate when that sensor comes on for the tires. Glad you were able to get it fixed. You did a great job getting that block to lay flat. I really need to find my Ella blocks next month and see about getting the ones I had made into a quilt. I know I only made 15 or 20 of them I think. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's awfull when that tire sensor comes on, mine tends to stay on even when the tyre pressure is ok, cars are a headache, I like the sound of the begonia show, what a pity about the mealy bugs. You have so many lovely things on the go and it's great that you can get help with those you are having difficulty with. The quilt retreat sounds exciting I'd love to go on one of those. Have a great week. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. The EMD star looks challenging. I'm not a fan of paper piecing, either. I hope the star turns out great for you.
    And so sorry about your wonk star. It, too, looks like a challenge. I love the colors you used for it.
    Your sunflower quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete