Sunday, September 03, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

I've kept busy this week, even though I only had one social activity.  

Tuesday I had sprinklers put in my front section.  I have a circular driveway, and in front of the driveway is a semicircular section that I have moved a hose around every 12 minutes to water the whole thing for 45 years.  Last week I arranged for the landscaping guy that took out my lawn last year to connect sprinklers to this area.  Last year they put a tube over to this area, but nothing was connected up.  So this week they put in 4 sprinkler heads, and also put in 4 shrubs.   I had spent the days prior to their coming cleaning up this area.  I had Gazanias growing over into the driveway so I cleared that area back so they could install the tubing drip tubing.  They planted 2 gardenias, a Chinese fringe flower, 2 Leafy spurge, Japanese pittosporum.   This area is looking so much better since the sprinklers were installed.  


I also got this from the landscaper.  He was selling off his stock of bushes at 25% off.  


It's called Acuba japonica or Spotted Laurel.  They said it was very temperamental, needed shade, and should be in a pot.  

The Dish Plate Hibiscus that is planted next to this is blooming.



Last week I finished quilting the Sunbonnet Sue quilt that I finished up for one of our deceased members.  She had prepared the sunbonnets, ironed them to freezer paper and the fabric, and I attached them to the backgrounds and quilted it.  Wednesday was our 5th Wednesday workday at our guild.  We meet in a church for about 5 hours, and either piece for community service or quilt one of our small basted quilts.  I gave the Sunbonnet Sue to one of our members that likes to put on bindings.  


This week I also spent a day working on my indoor plants, transplanting some things.  When I was having the mealybug pandemic in my house, I cut them back to their rhizomes, sprayed them with mealybug killer, and planted them in a takeout container with perlite and peat moss, moistened them, and put the lids on and left them for 2 months.  I checked them after a month and sprayed them again.  The leaves came back and I repotted them this week.  I saved 3 plants.  


This week on the #100hexies100days2023 on Instagram, this week's theme was rainbows, hosted by @sewfoxymama.  



I'm going to be heading off to a quilt retreat in a couple of weeks.  I wanted to make a few things.  The last time I went to day camp quite a few quilters had cute little thread catcher and pincushions, and mats for their machines.  So I wanted to make some for myself.  

I finished this thread catcher/pincushion.  This was a pattern by Curry Bungalow that I got here.  


What I will be working on for Slow Sunday Stitching is the last piece of embroidery on the Blessings quilt. This was a project I started well over 20 years ago with a group of internet friends.  Instructions came in 4 pamphlets and I completed the first section of the quilt.


I'm working on this last week, and I can begin to assemble the other 3/4 of the quilt.  I'm hoping to prep a section or two to take to retreat with me.  



I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.    Head on over and see what everyone is working on.

Next week is a busy one with Guild Board Meeting, Hearing Aid cleaning, and three days of working the Begonia show.  

Thanks for stopping by!





6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:02 AM

    Another busy week for you! Cute thread catcher. I was given one at a retreat years ago and use it all the time. Your hexie project is very colourful this week. Hope this coming week goes smoothly with all your plans. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work on rescuing the plants. I had to bring my pink Christmas Cactus inside because something was chomping on it. Three of the main branches were nibbled down to the almost woody nubbins. But I can see the little bumps of new leaves, so I think it will be fine, if a little lopsided (LOL).

    Your quilt is darling and what a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sunbonnet Sue quilt is ever so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your posts, Karrin. Sweet granddaughters and thanks for sharing the pups in the family. Maple sounds like he is like maple syrup...sweet. Love the hexies and now cute Sunbonnet Sue is ready for quilting which is awesome. I esp. love reading about your garden and gardening efforts. That Hibiscus is really something and good luck with the new bush...Laurels are pretty too. Enjoy your Sunday now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're getting your landscaping the way you want it! I loved the photo of your begonia survivors, too! It's great that you were able to save them. The Blessings quilt is a pretty one - have fun stitching on it today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that laurel plant and the new circular sprinkler area. What a lot of time that will save you.

    ReplyDelete