Sunday, September 08, 2024

HQAL, Slow Sunday Stitching, Long Post

It has been a busy, jam-packed couple of weeks.  After the It's a Jungle Blog Hop on July 19th, it there was guild meeting.  We presented our guild president Linda Jo with her President's quilt.  She had Sunbonnet Sue blocks from a previous presidency members had made her and asked that it be made into a quilt and quilted.  When she was a girl her grandmother made her a Sunbonnet Sue quilt, and after her grandmother died, her uncle gave it away.



We also presented quilts to a Native American Father's group.  One of our members hand pieced these star quilts.  


The day after there was our guild's 4-day Day Camp.  We take all our stuff over to a Veteran's Hall and set up, and are able to leave things for the 4 days.  You can attend 8 a.m. till 8 p.m. if you wish.  A simple dinner is served.  I didn't stay that late though.  This is one of the quilts that one of our members finished.



This is another one


This was what I started and finished.  Our guild challenged us several months ago to make a three yard quilt.  We got to chose a bundle of three yards, and we are due to bring them back in October and they will go to Community Service.  I hope to get mine quilted this next week.


The next weekend daughter Kristen, her husband Jeff, myself, and granddaughter Kyleigh and her fiance Drew went to Naggiar Vineyards to see Steve Waddington (a Neil Diamond cover).  I have seen 22 Neil Diamond Concerts and my daughter, granddaughter and I know the words to almost all the songs.  We had a great time, and got some great pictures.  Too bad I can't post the picture of granddaughter Kyleigh when she got up on the stage and danced while he was singing the America.  






This weekend was our annual Begonia show.  It is a two day affair plus about 7 hours setting up on Friday.  Daughter Katie and I worked the show, and my other daughter Kristen, and her mother-in-law Jan came.  


There were some beautiful begonias at our show.  






We had about 950 plants for sale and had sold a great quantity when I left Saturday afternoon.   This is what I came home with.


 Friday afternoon as I was putting my plants in my car to take to the Begonia Show, my heat pump made a horrible sound.  I came inside and turned it off, and then looked inside and the fan was sitting sideways, off the motor.  I called the Home Warranty company and they can't come out until Tuesday.  We have been in the late 90s to 104 degree weather lately, and right now the temperature in my house is 86 degrees.  I have a company that services my heat pump twice a year.  They came over and put the fan back on but when we turned it on the blades at bent and it is running wonky.  So I have left it off and have been using fans.  I had a hard time sleeping Friday night even with 2 fans.  I got another super at Home Depot, so we will see how that works.   I have a feeling I am going to need a new unit, this one is at the end of life.  

As for slow stitching, I finished Woven Wreaths for August.  




I was looking through a pile of stuff in my sewing room and came across Witch Hazel.  I had copied the design onto some of that Sulky stuff and stuck it to the fabric.  It has been sitting in a to-do pile for about 20 years.  It's long past time she got out of the to-do pile.  



This is what I will be working on for Slow Sunday Stitching, after I get through at the Begonia Show on Sunday.

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.


KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Connie


I will also be linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and see what everyone is up to there also.  


Thanks for stopping by!  

10 comments:

  1. Aaah that little witch is adorable. I have some projects that have been sitting a long time too. It is good to see that you are working on this little gal . Enjoy your day .

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had to replace our heat pump about 3 years ago - we had it for years and years, there just comes a time when you have to replace it I'm glad we did at least now it probably won't have to be replaced again in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a busy month! Sounds like lots of fun events to go to - especially the Neil Diamond tribute show. So sorry to hear about your heat pump, though - I bet you're anxious to get that fixed. Enjoy your stitching today, Karrin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:38 AM

    I saw Neil Diamond in 1983. My second concert. The first one was Simon and Garfunkel. My husband and I saw Neil Diamond again 10 years ago. He had aged but could still belt out the songs! Cute witch embroidery. Glad you are going to finally finish it! Great charity quilt too Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine those temperatures of yours without an air conditioner. Glad you have the fans to cool things down a bit. Love that sweet little Witch Hazel. It's the perfect time of the year to finish her. Beautiful begonias, fun times enjoying special memories with your family and fabulous quilts. Love that sweet Sunbonnet Sue pretty. Have a fabulous week, lovely Karrin! I just know you will have a busy one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Neil Diamond and have been lucky to see him at a concert here in New Zealand way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:47 AM

    Busy Lady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nanette Chopin Cook4:48 AM

    Busy Lady and also having fun! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nanette Cook4:51 AM

    Busy Lady ad still having fun. Hope you can get a new unit soon. We had 2 Mini Splits installed for 2 rooms in November. Then in June the 4 ton died. Sure helped the electric bill! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon12:40 PM

    You just have to much fun Karrin :) I sure enjoy reading everything you are up to. It goes with out saying but I'll say it, your quilts are always top notch gorgeous. Have a wonderful week ~ Sharon

    ReplyDelete