Saturday, September 05, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Another week has come and gone.  I can't say I have gotten a lot accomplished this week, especially sewing with my machine, although I have several things I need to be working on.

I have been feeling somewhat "off", lost my mojo.  I hope I find it again soon.  I have read several books.  My husband and I had been watching "The Outsider" on HBO I think it was, based on the Stephen King novel.  With my hearing difficulties, I sometimes have trouble hearing, especially women's voices.  I have tinnitus in both my ears, hearing loss, and and have hearing aids, but sometimes even those aren't enough to distinguish voices,  Anyway I decided to download the book, and I ended up reading that several days, and several other books.

What I did work on this week were the Ella Maria Deacon blocks for August.  The bottom left one I think I am going to do over.  It has pleats, and doesn't meet in one section so there is a big pleat .  I tried EPP'ing this, and couldn't figure out how it went together.  So I cut it out again, and hand pieced it.  That is this version.  It is also 1/2 too small.  I am going to set it aside for now, and maybe try appliquing it on the background, or maybe reverse applique.  Any suggestions?



What I plan to work on this week for Slow Sunday Stitching is my Cassandra's Circle block for August.  I have it all prepped for applique.   It's called Cotton Boll.



What has made me smile this week, is my Amaranthus.  It is almost 5 feet tall now.  I had to tie it to the fence it has gotten so big.   A friend gave me the original plant years ago, and each year it seems to reseed itself.   This is the biggest one yet.  I'm glad it ended up close to the fence so I could have something to attach it to! 



Thanks for stopping by!  I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and check out what everyone has been up to.   I love this weekly motivation! 

15 comments:

  1. Applique would certainly work though it would take some time. Did you trace the shapes to a piece of paper to make sure they all would go together as you would expect? Sometimes, a pattern shape will not be the correct size and throw the whole thing off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your applique blocks are lovely, a great project to work on while watching TV. I also have trouble understanding voices. I love closed captioning! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you have lost your "mojo" this week, Karrin. I think there are lot of people who have lost theirs of late. You always do lovely applique. Your new block is a lovely one. As for the block with the pleat, maybe what suggests would work. 'Tis so annoying when you try to approach a problem several ways and nothing seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all lose our "mojo" every once in a while. I am sure it will return soon. I agree that it is best to put aside the offending block and work on something new. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a quilt out of that block but I paper foundation pieced it! I lose my mojo sometimes too and blocks like that sometimes are the cause. I am sure once your ready to tackle it again everything will work out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That amaranthus is really amazing! I've only ever seen small ones growing in pots. Definitely something to smile about! Reading is what I turn to when I've lost my mojo for other things in life - sometimes we just need the escape. I hope you figure out the block that is bugging you! The Cassandra block is beautiful - enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mojo is never lost.... just shifted to other interest!
    I bet the book was better then the show, it always is.
    Sorry to hear about your hearing... Hubby has the same problem sometimes. He was in EOD and got blown up a couple of times. Hearing aids are hit and miss for him also.
    (EOD explosive ordinance desposial)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness that plant is so beautiful... I haven't seen anything like it! Enjoy it while it blooms! Sorry your mojo has taken a holiday... it will come back :)
    I have no suggestions for fixing the troublemaker block as I have made several with problems just like that and always blame the pattern LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about the block issues. I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you.... I would probably just starch and press the heck out of it and stitch a little background to 2 sides to make it fit the size.... =) Taking a break to read and do other things happens to all of us. That mojo will come back...... The Cassandra Circle block is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are so beautiful! Amaranthus looks amazing! Five meters high. It is fantastic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know about losing one's mojo. It is the same for me just recently.
    It's hard when our bodies don't function as they should, harder to lose hearing, though, because it's permanent and affects so much of our lives, especially our interactions with others.
    Your Ella Maria Deacon blocks look beautiful. They are so precisely made! They must take a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. During COVID-19, it has been very easy to lose one's mojo for a lot of things. I hope yours returns soon. I keep telling myself, one day at a time. Your flowers are huge! Keep sewing.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh love that Amaranthus. A fall beauty. I do hope you get that special mojo for quilting back. I think your blocks looks great. I know some do applique a difficult piece to get a certain design to work. Like corner stones in sashing...I've read where folks also applique them into place if the measuring and cutting goes awry. There is no right or wrong way, just what works I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your plant is so lovely! I'm sorry your hearing is affecting your life so much! Those blocks are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our 'mojo' can be influenced (for the good and the bad) by SO many different things, sometimes it's hard to pinpoint a problem to resolved it and find our mojo again. I'm hoping you're able to do that soon. I know when I lose mine, it's a struggle because of not only what caused me to lose it, but because I'm not creating! That was a lot of words. ♥ Your blocks are beautiful and I hope you have fun working on your Cassandra block! Those have been a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete