Saturday, December 12, 2020

Hand Quilt Along, Slow Sunday Stitching

Another three weeks has passed, and my weeks have been so busy with my husband's therapists coming in.  We are down to two now, once a week, and I suspect they will be discharging him soon.  He is still confined to the living room, but getting around better.  

This past week, I have finished a few items though on the hand stitching front.



I'm currently working on this Stitcher's Revolution pattern.  Because the tea towel is a gray tone, I could not iron the design on.  So I printed it on the Sulky Stick and Stich sheet.  The only trouble was with the tea towel weight and the sheets I was punching holes in my finger trying to get through both layers.  My daughter wanted these darker towels because she was afraid things would get wiped up that would stain a white towel.  


I finished this one with the gray towels.  I am not sure I like the colors but I was trying to get it to show on the gray.  



I also finished the gingerbread house.  I just need to assemble the table runner for my daughter. Be sure and check out the other Hand Quilt Along links below.

Hand Quilt Along Links


This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanetteSharonKarrinGretchenDaisyConnieMonica and 

Sherrie

Otherwise I made cookies this week and passed them out to our daughters, neighbors, and sent some off to relatives.



These truffles are one of my new favorites.  German Chocolate Truffles.



These are my other new favorite, Lemon Shortcake Cookies.  I  made a batch of these for the cookie trays, and ate quite a few.  I still have a few more trays to make up, so I made another double batch.  They seem to be a big hit at my daughter's house too.



This week I picked all the lemons off my little dwarf Meyer lemon tree.  It is only about 2 feet high, but this was the yield.  I also had 4 mandarin oranges that were ripe.  



Since the weather has been freezing at night, I decided to pick my last sunflowers and enjoy them this week.  


While John has been slowing regaining his strength this week, I had a bad day on Tuesday.  I have been sort of nursing a tooth I suspected had a filling that was falling apart.  I was hoping to not have to go to the dentist until January.  I reached up and thought I had food caught in it, and a sliver of my tooth fell apart.  I called and made an appt for my dentist the next day, and arranged for my grandson to stay with John.

Meanwhile, I was working on the next to last of my cookies I planned.  I went to turn on my kitchen faucet to rinse out the mixing bowl and my water started pouring out of the cabinet beneath it.   So I had to arrange for a plumber through the home warranty company.  The first one couldn't come out till Friday, but when I made another call, I did get someone out on Thursday.  Meanwhile I had a dishwasher full of dirty dishes .  I did end up needing a new faucet, but thank goodness that is fixed.

My tooth needed a crown and I really didn't want to spend that money before Christmas, but what was I going to do.

As most of California is in lockdown, my brother and sister-in-law won't be coming up for Christmas, which is disappointing.  Our county in California has had about 10 more deaths in the past week.   

That is it for this week. I will be linking up to Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.    Be sure and check out what everyone over there has been up to also.

Thanks for stopping by!







20 comments:

  1. Your cookies look so good, I haven't baked any yet, I know if I do bake them, I'll eat too many. Glad your husband's recovery is coming along, progress is progress even if it's slower than you'd like. I am SO sorry about your tooth. I hope the crown goes ok without too any trauma. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a busy week at your house! The cookies look delicious, I love the gingerbread house embroidery. You certainly did not need a broken tooth on top of everything else right now. Glad to hear John is getting around better

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that your husband is on the mend and feeling better. What a relief!! I'm sorry about your tooth - NO FUN at all, and having the faucet fail on top of that. What a week!

    All of your cookies look delicious!! I haven't been baking much yet, the kids (at home) are all still either in school or working so we will be baking next weekend. We are also in California, Santa Clara County to be specific and are supposed to stay home and inside. It is so disappointing to not be able to be with all the family, I totally understand how you feel.

    Love your towels!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies look delicious. Yumm Yumm!! All your embroidery are beautiful, don't forget to show us the table runner when finished. I am Sorry about you tooth, it is not fun. Good to know your husband is felling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The towels are lovely, the cookies yummy and the sunflowers so pretty. Sorry about that tooth,never enjoyed going to the dentist. Glad hubby is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cookies look and sound yummy, Karrin! It also sounds like John is doing better, and I'm so glad. Those towels you're stitching are so fun - I need to find those patterns because I would enjoy them, too. No fun to have to go to the dentist for a crown, but it will be good to get it over with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a week you have had. Glad to read your husband is doing a bit better. That is wonderful. Your projects are lovely and I think the colors are very nice on that tea towel. You and my daughter bit the crown bullet this past week...ugh! It's a bit of a disappointing holiday season with family being careful with gathering but your cookies look so delicious and your sharing them helps spread some joy for sure. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Karrin I can't believe all that you accomplished when it was such a stressful week!
    Your tea towels are wonderful - so fun to see you stitching this series. It's hard to pick colours for a dark towel and you did a great job!
    Glad to hear hubby is getting better!
    Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear everything seems to happen at once doesn't it, I'm glad your husband is recovering. Your sewing is lovely and so are those goodies, I'll have to try those cookies. I hope next week is a better one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Karrin you haven't had much luck recently! Glad your tooth, plumbing are sorted and the main thing is your husband is improving.those tea towels look so great as do your cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, teeth and plumbers, I have suffered with both this last year. My husband is still spending a lot of time with his head under the sink trying to stop a mystery drip. I hope your husbands recovery is speedy. My tea towels never stay pristine, I now look for multi coloured.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe how much you got done with all those people in and out of your house! Great job of keeping your sanity, even if just barely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I baked this week too, but I think I need to try those lemon shortbreads, they look delicious, and a I have a 🍋, so why not? Glad that John is doing better, that has to be a help tour peace of mind too. Your embroidery work is wonderful, and I am still amazed at your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness, gracious me, just look at all the things you have accomplished this week, Karrin. I do not know how you do all that you do! All your baking looks delicious. Wish oh wish I could knock on your front door and enjoy a morsel or two with a cup of tea. Love your little gingerbread stitchery; 'tis very sweet. Glad your tooth is okay, (but oh the cost) and your faucet is fixed; goodness me, what next??!! It is wonderful to read that John is moving around a little better; so happy for the both of you. Have a great week, lovely lady. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I immediately printed out the recipe for those truffles. I hope I find time to make them this week. The Lemon shortebread cookies sound delicious also. I am so glad John is improving. I am sure you will be happy to have an end to all of the people coming and going. Your stitching is so pretty. I really like that gingerbread house. So sorry about the tooth and the faucet. Stay safe and stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a busy week you've had! Hope it gets calmer the next few days. Your baking looks delicious, and the tea towels are so fluffy. Love the motifs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I realized I never left a comment yesterday.. then came back today and followed the lemon shortbread link (thanks - must try that as I love shortbread) and almost forgot again! I'm glad John is improving and I hope you both have a better week... and the water behaves and works as it should. Crowns are not fun... but well worth it to be able to eat all the Christmas goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, so happy John is improving but also sad you had your issues with things that just happen. Crowns are well worth the money- I have three in my mouth that are old now --and a new faucet should last you for a while too.
    Lots of nice embroidery. I did the same for older daughter a few years ago and she just displays them because like your daughter she doesn't want to get them dirty. I wish I had used a darker material than cream! I love lemon and shortbread so that is definitely my kind of recipe. Thanks for it and I have to say I admire how cheery you are despite life's ups and downs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A crown costs an arm and a leg and I am sure you didn't want to part with one of those!

    I haven't stitched tea towels in a long, long time. I like the whisk one a lot. Cute, cute. I ordered some flour sack tea towels but not for use as a dish towel. I want to do wool applique on one but am waiting to see if they will be heavy enough for the base. Should be here any time now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a very rough week on the health and home front. Hopefully all is repaired. The tea towels are very cute. Hope you've been able to get in some good stitching time and that Your Guy is continuing to improve.

    ReplyDelete