Saturday, March 13, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

Another week has flown by.  I have done quite a  bit of hand stitching.  I got my Ella Maria Deacon blocks done for February, so I am all caught up till the new blocks come out on Monday.



I'm participating in the #100hexiesin100 days challenge on Instagram with @sewfoxyma.  Each week is a different theme, and this week was things we treasure, or collections.  I have a large collection of nautical/lighthouse, sailboat fabric, so that was my theme this week.  Next week is rainbow.  I only have 1 rainbow fabric so don't know what I will do next week.  





For my Slow Sunday Stitching this week, I will be working on more of the nautical hexies.  I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  

A new Hands All Around:  Alcott block came out this week.  I had made block one in a 12 inch size, and block two in the eight inch size.  When block 3 came out, I decided to make both sizes in all blocks.





The last thing I have done this week was make a new cushion for John's chair.  We had 1-1/2 cushions sitting on his chair.  These are cushions that have 2 pieces of foam around a gel pack thing, and sheepskin top.  He is a big guy, but doesn't have much of a bottom, and he is constantly shifting around so it doesn't hurt.   We had one of those Roho cushions but that tends to start going flat.  I found I had a piece of sheepskin upstairs from one of my daughter's twin beds when they were teenagers, so I cut that up.  My sister had given me some nautical decorator fabric, so used that for the bottom.  I even put in a zipper!




Before


After


We have  had a good week.  I needed my car smogged.  My SIL owns a used car lot right next to a smog place, and I had asked him if he could take my car to work with him one day and have it smogged.  He sent our grandson over the next day to pick up my car and get it smogged, and brought it back.  I asked my SIL what I owed him, and asked that I make some  chicken enchiladas, so I did, plus I gave him some French Dip sandwich material which they had tonight.  He was in 7th heaven for both!  

Also this week John and I had our first shots done.  




Don't know if John will be going to get the second shot done.  He is saying right now "no".  He is basically home-bound.  We got him into the car, which is a big deal.  I had thought the vaccine center was drive-through, but it wasn't.  Had to get him into the wheelchair, and get him inside.  Luckily they were fairly quick.  That's when he started saying he wasn't coming back for the second one.  The doctor came over to talk to him and stated they would make the appointment anyway, the one shot was 80% effective.  He also stated I could drive him up next time, come in and tell someone and they would come out to the car and they would give us the shots there.  We'll see if I can talk him into it in the next three weeks or not.  Once he has made his mind up, he doesn't usually change though.  

The only thing I haven't gotten to this week, which I need to start working on, is my free motion quilting sampler.  I signed up for HollyAnne Knight's Free Motion Quilting Academy last fall, and I had to drop out of my classes because of John's problems.  The new semester started in February, and I still haven't been working on it.  I would really like to graduate in May with the Spring group, but I need to start doing my different motifs on my sampler quilt.   I need to set aside time each day to do this.  Days seem to get away from me.  Like the day we got shots I had gone grocery shopping in the morning, so that day was gone.  My evenings are usually for hand work and spending with John.  Just need to get better organized.  

We had a nice visit with both daughters today and 3/5 grandchildren, so a good day all around!  I watched the two youngest while Katie went to the hairdresser, and then she bought us a nice Mexican lunch back.  Then later on Kristen and Keaton came over and visited for several hours.  I provided them with the Unstuffed Cabbage Soup with Meatball Soup by Paula Dean.    I sent Kristen and Keaton home with our leftovers which was quite a bit.   My chest freezer is full to the brim, so I have been sending my girls home with the leftovers I don't want to be eating all week!  

Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. So many great projects. How beautiful your witches are. Your blocks are also very nice! Happy stitching!
    Hope it works out that your husband decides to get the other vaccine and that he can get it in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Ella blocks are beautiful! Hope you can convince John to get the 2nd vaccine. It would be so nice if a home care nurse could come out to vaccinate him. Have a great week with lots of happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got a lot done this week, Karrin! Your hexies are so much fun, all the blocks look great. I'm so glad you got the first shot, but sorry it's hard for John. Seems like there ought to be some visiting vaccine providers for homebound people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your hexies, it is a passion of mine. Maybe carry on on so e more of your favourite ones and just do one rainbow One? Very creative sheepskin pillow. Sheepskin are amazing helpers in hospital, when one need to keep patients warm, when they have medical conditions where they need to keep body heat. Glad you got your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve accomplished a lot. I love those nautical hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute nautical hexies! Glad to hear you have both had your first vaccines. I have heard of some places doing drive thru vaccines...so much easier for people with mobility issues. Your blocks all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Ella blocks and you sure do get a lot done! Good job on the cushion for John, I am sure it will make him a bit more comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your nautical hexies Karrin, so cool! All the blocks are pretty, and you did a lot of things this week.I am so glad to know you got the vaccine. Hope you can changed John's mind about the second shot. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know, Karrin, I have never heard of "smogging" a car. I know, I don't get out much. =) How fun your hexie quilt is going to be. When all the hexies are stitch together there is going to be so much visual interest that one could look at them for hours. John's cushion is great. Love the lambswool top to make it more comfortable for his bottom. I would imagine it would be a major logistical effort for John to be immunised. One would think they could come up with a more suitable plan. I feel I have just read about a restaurant's menu. Gosh, I think I would be the size of a house if I lived at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been busy, such a lot to show this time. I dont know what smogging a car means either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you had a great day with the grandkids. Your blocks and hexis are looking wonderfu. Happy stitching

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those hexies are great, such fun fabric. I'm glad you've both had your jabs !

    ReplyDelete