Monday, June 21, 2021

Fairy Tales Blog Hop, Day 2, My Day


 


Today is day 2 of the Fairy Tales Blog Hop hosted by the fabulous  Joan @ Moosestash Quilting.   whom I would like to thank for this great hop!  This is the fantastic line-up of bloggers participating.    The total list of all participants is below.  

I was at a loss for awhile thinking about what Fairy Tale I wanted to portray.  In talking with Susan Nixon @Desertsky Quilting she said "of course you will do The Little Mermaid".  

Since I am a landlocked mermaid myself, it sounded like the perfect plan!   The Little Mermaid was by Hans Christian Andersen and the full story is here.  

I decided to make a cushion for my sister-in-law Char who also loves mermaids and lighthouses just as I do.  Her birthday is coming up.   I was going to put some fancy edging around it, but her two cats would probably make a mess of it.  One of them has take over the crochet mermaid blanket I made her several years ago.  

My first idea was to use my embroidery machine and embroider the little mermaid, namely Ariel from the Disney version.  I started out, and then had to stop about the 5th color, and was not able to pick it back up when I came back the next day.



So I started over, and this time my embroidery machine really started messing up, and sewing over thread that had been done previously, not next to it.  So I abandoned this version too.


Finally I decided to just make my own version.  This is my mermaid gazing out the sailing ship, waiting for her true love to love her more than any other being so she can have an immortal soul.  





The back with an envelope type opening.


Thanks so much for stopping by, and be sure and check out the other bloggers in the list below.  

Monday June 21

Creatin’ in the Sticks

Samelia’s Mum

Kathleen McMusing

Becky’s Adventurers in Quilting and Travel

VroomansQuilts

Food for Thought


 Tuesday June 22

Quilted Delights

Stitchin at Home

Karrins Crazy World

 Quilting & Learning - What a Combo!

Sewing Up My Fabric

Selina Quilts


Wednesday June 23

Just Let Me Quilt

 Websterquilt

Inflorescence

Elizabeth Coughlin Designs

Just Because Quilts

Domestic Felicity

 

Thursday June 24

Scrapdash

That Fabric Feeling

Ms P Designs USA

Quilt Schmilt

Patchouli Moon Studio

Days Filled With Joy

Goofin' Off Around the Block

 

Friday June 25

Quilt Fabrication

My Bumbleberry Life

Songbird Designs

Words & Stitches

MooseStashQuilting


26 comments:

  1. Your version turned out fantastic! Such a neat pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mermaid pillow is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your final version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes that just happens. You really made a darling pillow and a nice story to go along with it. I am sure your sister's cats won't be able to ruin this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mermaid, I’m sure it will mean more than the Disney one since it is your own creation

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you had so much trouble, but I like your mermaid the best! I love the pillow. I am currently pillow obsessed right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your mermaid is beautiful, Karrin! Such a sweet gift, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two birds with one stone - perfect. Love the pillow you made for your SIL. You did a super job with putting it together and the quilting is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Embroidery machines are great when they work, but when they don't...UGGGGGH! All things happen for a reason and your cushion is the perfect example of why. This little mermaid was begging to get out of your mind and onto her own place where the world can admire her. Your sister in law is going to LOVE her! Thanks for playing in Fairy Tale land with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your version of a mermaid is amazing. It's more of a grown-up mermaid that seems so peaceful and beautiful as she gazes out to sea. Love it and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your issues with your embroidery machine but thrilled with how your personally designed piece came to be and how it finished up in that wonderful pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand the embroidery machine thing. These are amazing when they work and beyond frustrating when they don't. Your pillow is great. It's a wonderful birthday present.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a delightful cushion! The cat can sleep next to it without being tempted by a frilly edging. Good idea to forgo that plan. You’ve done a fantastic appliqué and quilting job on your design. I would be quite upset with an embroidery machine acting up like that. But when they work properly, they surely do produce some great images.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your own mermaid is prettier and more creative than the Disney version.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mermaid is so lovely and has your own touch - a lovely thing. It must have needed to be made that way, and not with the embroidered version!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karrin, I like your version so much better! Beautifully made, beautifully told story. You more than fulfilled my expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your version of the mermaid. It's a really sweet cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome pillow! I like your mermaid much better than the embroidered one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a day late, so I am popping in to say how much I like your mermaid pillow! I love mermaids too.

    I'm late, I'm late for
    A very important date.
    No time to say hello, good-bye,
    I'm late, I'm late, I'm late
    I'm late and when I wave,
    I lose the time I save.
    My fuzzy ears and whiskers
    Took me too much time to shave.
    I run and then I hop, hop, hop,
    I wish that I could fly.
    There's danger if I dare to
    Stop and here's a reason why:
    I'm over-due, I'm in a rabbit stew.
    Can't even say good-bye,
    Hello, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your appliqué mermaid is so pretty. I have a thing for mermaids and alway try to make time to walk the sea wall in Vancouver to see the mermaid who lives on the rock just as we did when I was a child. Thank you for sharing and reminding me of some precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karrin, this is absolutely darling! My granddaughter loves mermaids! She is on the swim team at the Y along with one of her brothers and we call them our little fishies!! Thanks for sharing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Karrin, your quilt is much prettier than Arial and makes a lovely pillow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great pillow! I love how you've simplified the mermaid and left some things to the imagination. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your mermaid pillow is truly amazing! Your creativity to plan and execute such a beautiful piece is a skill I wish I had. Thanks for sharing! -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ariel is pretty design but I really like your version better. Makes a beautiful pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooh, I love your version! It's just beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete