Saturday, June 19, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

 Another week has swiftly passed by.  My brother Bill and Char finished my kitchen floor and it looks wonderful!  



Before he left Bill told me I needed to buy some baseboard to go underneath the cupboards.  My old linoleum went up under the cupboards, and Bill didn't have time to install it before he left.  



Bill told me to get 3-1/2 inch wide MDF, which I purchased.  I got home, and they were about 1/4 inch too wide.   I only found out after I had cut one of them the length I needed.  I went back and got refund for 2 boards, and bought what I thought were 3-1/4 inch wide.  That was what the labeling on the shelf said.  But I got home and they were 3-1/2 inch wide again.  I guess I need to take a tape measure with me the next time.   So the finishing touches on the kitchen are on hold for now.  There is a wood shortage everywhere, so I might have to find someone to use our table saw and cut 1/4 inch off.  The guy that is painting my house offered too and I might take him up it when I see him on Monday.  

Meanwhile, I had my neighbor's father, who offered to help me clear out the side yard of John's cut up boat.   He came over at 6 am on Wednesday morning, having rented a large truck, and we loaded it up before it got too hot.  We have been in the 106-107 range the past 4 days.   One of these days, if I can get some soil hauled in, and my sprinklers hooked up again, I will have another area to garden in.  I need to line up someone to pick up the keel from the boat and the rudder.  


I found out this week I am going to either need a major patch job of my roof, or a new roof all together.  I am in the midst of trying to get the house refinanced so I can make these repairs, so a lot of time has been spent on the telephone this week.

Also a major part of my week has been fixing a problem in my spare bathroom.  When I updated this bathroom, as it was my sea-mermaid bathroom I bought some expensive towel racks that had shells at the base.  But the rods were very heavy, the towel rack was in three pieces and they kept coming loose.  While my guests were here, they came loose again and dumped towels on the floor.  I have been dealing with this for several years now, so I decided they needed to go.  I purchased some new lighter towel racks on Amazon.  They were supposedly the same size as the old ones, but they were 1 inch shorter.  So I ended up having to pull the molly bolts out  of the wall from the old ones, and patch the wall.  As this wall  I had faux painted, I had to recreate what I had done before.  Luckily I still had my paint and didn't do too bad.  




John at one time commissioned someone to make me a stain glass window with a whale.  You really can't see from this picture, but a certain time of day the whale really shows up.  I found the mermaid hanging on one of our trips to Southern California in our motor home.  


Remember I cut that one baseboard and it was the wrong size!  I found out today that that piece will fit under the counter in this bathroom.  I just need to cut it to the right size and stain it and install it.  Bill showed me how to use the nail gun before he left.  

What I will be working on this week for Slow Sunday Stitching is this Kathy Schmitz stitchery.  It's from several years ago, but I already had it traced on the fabric.  


Be sure and head on over to Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching and see what everyone else has been up to.  

Also on a side note, as Feedburner is shutting off email subscriptions in July, I have switched to followit.

The subscribers I had previously have all been switched over.   Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. Nail Gun, so easy. I had to use ours, well Hugh's a few days ago to nail slats on the ramp so we do not slip when going to the wood shed. Be VERY careful not to get your finger under, and if yours is like ours, I had to learn to put the bottom part a littler lower on the slat to get it in the exact centre!!! Your floor looks wonderful m, and the towel rail and window, beautiful. Soon all the repairs will be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen looks lovely! So nice to get it done!! You've been very busy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're getting a lot done at your house, Karrin! The tile floor is beautiful! Hope you get the baseboards figured out. Such a cute bathroom, too. I love your Kathy Schmitz design - enjoy stitching on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've certainly been busy. The new kitchen floor looks wonderful! I hope you can get the baseboard resolved. Have fun with your embroidery, sounds like a good relaxing way to end your days, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much activity going on...wish I had the energy to do that!
    Your stitchery project is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a very handy person to be able to tackle all those repairs and finish things up. Love the window and the mermaid. Happy stitching and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you found a use for the piece of wood you cut and couldn't return! Your kitchen looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on the kitchen floor, it is lovely now.
    I sure see that beautiful blue whale. The stain glass window is beautiful.
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new floor looks so pretty and I adore your mermaid bathroom! You are quite handy, yourself. Good job on the towel bar. I always love Kathy Schmitz and I have that pattern printed out to do one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, I am praying that these blessings of help at the right moment just keep pouring in so you can get the needed fixes and repairs done quickly. Hurrah that the cut board can be used! The stained glass window John commissioned for you is amazing, what a lovely remembrance for you to see daily. 🥰 I do hope you are enjoying a bit of down time to stitch when you wish to! I am excited for the new garden space. Will it be flowers or veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot remember if I said surgery is Thursday 24 th, I will get a phone call Wednesday after 4 to tell me the time.?xxx

    ReplyDelete