Saturday, June 05, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

This last week has flown by too fast, and I don't feel like I have gotten much accomplished.  My daughter Katie and granddaughter Klara visited last weekend several times.  

Tuesday I had bilateral cataract surgery.  It went well, the wait for my turn was a bit.  When they did my right eye first I saw all sorts of pretty colors, reds, and turquoise, and orange, swirling around, I felt like I was on acid or something, not that I ever had anything like that, I almost wished I had some fabric like that.  I had the second eye done, they took me out of the operating room, took the IV out of my arm, asked if I was OK, and I was out the door.  I had to wear some goggles until the next day's appointment.  My daughter sat with me after the surgery for awhile, and snuck this picture in.  My other daughter had called and asked how I was doing.  


So the day after surgery, they tested my vision in my eyes, and the left eye was already 20/20.  The right not quite.  They told me I could drive the next day, and only wear the goggles at night.  I have two eye drops 4 times a day, and next Wednesday I can eliminate the antibiotic drops, and just continue the other one for a month.   

They corrected my far vision, I still have to wear glasses to do fine work.  

So the rest of the week I have been trying to prepare for my brother and sister-in-law's visit next week.  They are coming for a week and my brother is going to replace my kitchen floor, and help me sort out John's tools in the garage, and help me sell his gaming computer, virtual reality goggles, and other stuff.   Bill is also going to help me cut up John's last boat he made, which never made it out of the side yard.  It has rotten wood now as it has been out there so long exposed to the elements.  Then when I can afford a dumpster, I can load it up.  

Miss Klara the other day brought over a picture she had made for me, and I framed it, it was so cute.   On the sail she wrote RIP Papa.  



My other daughter and her family went to Disneyland for most of the week, and came back today.  I guess a great time was had by all, and they commented that Papa would have loved the Star Wars rides.  



Before they left for Disneyland I offered everyone John's old straw hats and we got a group picture.  



And I gave Jaeger an old Navy hat, since he is going into the Navy.  It happens to have been his great-grandfather's Navy hat.


I also gave Jaeger his graduation quilt.  



So then yesterday John's oldest daughter from a prior marriage came to town.   After watching my youngest grandchildren all day, we all went to dinner with Dawn.  Then today Katie and Dawn Klara and I went to lunch, and everyone came back to visit.  Dawn is about 6 feet tall  so she got to hold the camera.  


Is it any wonder I haven't gotten much done this week!  The next couple of days I plan to cook up some meals and freeze them as the stove will be taken out of the kitchen in order to retile. 

So what I plan to prepare for Slow Sunday Stitching is start hand quilting my sunflower quilt.  Susie Wright @fixer_of_old_old_quilts whom I follow on Instagram announced a #sunflowersewalong last year.   The original 1863 inspiration block came from the collection of Cathy Erickson @quiltingcat2, who kindly gave us her permission to copy this.  Susie drafted the block to fit an 18" block.  



Be sure and head on over to Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching and see what everyone is working on!

Thanks for stopping by!


14 comments:

  1. Those glasses are a fun accessory. =) A busy week had by you, and it seems so will be this coming week. Fabulous the eye surgery went well. Miss Klara's art work is beautiful; so sentimental. Love all the family photos. Those straw hats are a hoot. Enjoy quilting those pretty Sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had a wonderful week! Not much sewing/quilting but time well spend with family. Hope the remodeling goes well, it's so nice your brother can do some remodeling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your busy week has my head spinning. How wonderful to have all those visits. So glad your eye surgery went well. Enjoy your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have been busy! There is so much to love about all of your happenings of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karrin, I am glad your family is rallying around you right now and helping you sort your husbands things that you want to sort whilst you are in the mood to deal with it... it helps to have all the family supporting you right now too.... soon they will get back to their lives and the stillness will settle in... I am here as a widow of 13 years now if you ever wanna chat or talk or be pen pals of sorts :)
    I love love love the sunflower applique you are working on quilting... I hope it brings you peace to quilt when you have time as they are redoing your flooring... oh my! Cook up a storm I guess is a good plan and pack it away :)
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful Sunflower quilt, Karrin.
    I am happy to know everything went well with your carata surgeries.
    That cap looks perfect for Jaeger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so amazing that you can be doing all these things including stitching after a cataract surgery! How wonderful that your vision is so good and you can keep stitching for years to come! Wonderful family photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    Beautiful Sunflower Quilt...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phew, if I am half as good as you I will be thrilled. Love the goggles, and family help , the hats shared round, the boat demolished and other things sorted, you will be so thankful for the new flooring, I love my new lino, everyone who had seen the old, comment on how good the new is. So easy to clean now, no scrubbing down on my knees to get dirt out of the cuts and scratches. I think I will need glasses for either distance or reading , not sure which, maybe both, but the improvement will be wonderful, ROLL on the 24th,XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have had a busy week. Glad the surgery went well too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad your surgery went well - it sounds nice to have that out of the way! Hope all goes well with the kitchen floor replacement, too. Your sunflower quilt looks like a special one to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a time you have had this last week! So pleased your cataract surgery went well, its marvelous how successful this type of surgery is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clay and I had our eyes done in Sep/Oct 2019. He sailed through his - our Doctor did one in Week 1 and Week 2 the 2nd one. I did not fair so well. I ended up with Drooping eyelids that cut off my peripheral vision and Ptosis and had to have that corrected last summer after Clay's Aorta Valve Replacement - from Sep 2019 to August 2020 it was a nightmare! But we are both doing fine. We have peep over glasses all over the place. I have worn glasses most all of my life - it is great to not have to wear them, but I really had to adjust seeing me without glasses - I wondered who was in the mirror! LOL

    I am happy to hear that you had both eyes done at one time and that you are fine! Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great week visiting family and preparing for more! Since you are in CA you probably can’t sell the boat wood for firewood, or can you? I’m guessing it is hardwood and would burn beautifully. So glad the cataract surgery went so well &or you!

    ReplyDelete