Sunday, May 14, 2023

HQAL, Slow Sunday Stitching

Happy Mother's Day




Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!

The first part of last week, I was able to get some piecing done.  I made two small 40" quilts for the Hands2Help Comfort Quilt project hosted by Sarah @Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  These two quilts after I quilt them will go to Little Lambs.  They were made entirely out of scraps.    My quilting machine was giving me some trouble on Saturday so I need to rip out some poor tension stitching.  


This one will go to the MCC charity.


I also made this bag for my friend Jandra.  When granddaughter Kyleigh was over a couple of weeks ago working on her T-shirt quilt, we went up to Hobby Lobby to buy some interfacing, we found this Mickey Mouse Fabric.  Jandra loves Mickey and Minnie, so I bought both fabrics, as did Kyleigh.  Next time she has some time off Kyleigh plans to make a bigger bag.  I found the instructions for the bag  here.    


Wednesday was basting day for the guild, and we had quite a nice turnout this time.  I was able to spend the afternoon sewing.

Thursday I met up with my friend Jandra and we had a really good Mexican lunch, and then went a thrift store and a vintage store called Gypsy Chic.  Gypsy Chic is open the second Thursday through Sunday of the month.  We love this store, and we have missed the last couple of months it was open.  They have pretty reasonable prices.  



They have an outdoor section, and I was looking for something I could put plants on.  It is sort of primitive looking but that is OK.  Plus it coordinates with my blue house!


My neighbors recently have been putting in a pool, and they took down the trees that shaded my yard.  I had a bunch of plants over this area, between my house and then fence.  So the plants over here were getting burnt up.  I'm going to keep some succulents on this shelf, but I moved part of the plants, including the cymbidium orchid over in this area.  I just bought a big umbrella to shade these somewhat.  I've tried assembling the base of the umbrella, but I think I need to wait till grandson Jaeger gets back from college the next few days to help me.  


Friday was my mini group from my guild.  It was at Nancy's house this time.  She was the featured quilter at our quilt show last month.  She took us to her favorite quilt shop, In Stitches which is in Dixon, CA.  It is a really nice store, and I was able to find a few things.  

After I left Nancy's house, I stopped by long-time friend of mine from our days of working at UC Davis Medical Center transcribing reports for the various outpatient children's specialty groups.  Our children were young then and are now in their 40's.  We lost touch somewhere along the way and I no longer had her phone number.  It was before cell phones were invented.  June was home and I met her grown up daughter and granddaughters, and they invited me to a late lunch to celebrate Mother's day and one of their birthdays.  It was so nice seeing June again, and now that we have each other's cell phone #s we can stay in touch.  

This week my slow stitching continues to be this Kathy Schmitz stitch along.  I finished up several motifs this week.



This is the one I am working on now.  


This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Connie


I will be linking up for Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Check out what everyone is working on.  


Thanks for stopping by!  

11 comments:

  1. Such a lovely bag, and a great visit with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day, Karrin! Sounds like you've had a great week!
    Your donation quilts look wonderful - they will be so appreciated. Happy stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty quilts for donation and the bag is lovely. Happy Mother's Day, Karrin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Those embroideries are really cute!!! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to meet up with your work colleague from days past, Karrin. There would be much to catch up on. Love the rustic shelves you found. They will be perfect for plants. What a great place to find a bargain and rummage around. Your charity quilts are fabulous. Quilty hugs for some who are going through tough times. Happy Mother's Day to you, lovely Karrin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:59 PM

    I love those scrappy quilts,and I sure who ever receives them will too! The embroidery blocks are looking great! I think the plants on that blue stand will have a very homey touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother’s Day Karrin! You did a lot of sewing this week, the scrappy quilts for Little Lambs are so sweet, and the blue shelf unit is a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like your stitcheries. How nice to make contact with an old friend again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful day of productivity! I love the blue shelf and think it's a great addition to your plant area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to see you fill your life with fun things. I need to find a thrift store. LV does not have anything like that! Darn. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many wonderful things....love the Hands 2 Help quilts and I think the blue shelf will be really fun.

    ReplyDelete