Sunday, May 07, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

It was relatively easy week last week, I only had a board meeting to attend on Tuesday.  I was still not feeling like stitching  or doing anything other than some yard work.  I spent several days going to thrift stores and Big Lots.  I was looking for umbrellas for my yard, and outdoor plant stands or baker's rack for my plants.  My neighbors recently took some trees down that shaded my side yard and shaded some of my outdoor plants, as they put in a pool.  I bought an umbrella for my patio table and had it up shading my plants, and the wind blew it over, including my patio table.  So I ended up getting a larger umbrella, with a heavier stand.  I think I need my grandson's help to set it up though.  The last few days it has been raining so the plants should be OK until I get the umbrella set up.   I only last fall planted trees in my back yard, so they aren't really shade producing yet.  

With the new onset of rain the past several days, my plants are looking good.



My pomegranate tree even has a bud



Friday and Saturday granddaughter Kyleigh came over.  About two years ago, she started a t-shirt quilt when she was on vacation from school.  Basically she cut out the t-shirts and ironed the stabilizer on a number of shirts.  So this time she cut out more T-shirts and stabilized them, and actually sewed them into rows.  She has more t-shirts she is going to use for the back of the quilt when she finds them.   Several months ago she moved out into her own place, and her other bag of T-shirts is missing right now.    I was so proud of how much she got done those two days.  Friday I made BLTs for lunch.  Saturday Kyleigh made some yummy chicken pesto sandwiches and they were even still warm when she got  here! 

These t-shirts comprise her years of swimming competitively, cheer, the one with the 10 on it was from her 10th birthday and all the attendees of her party signed it.  






While Kyleigh was here I found my mojo again and got a number of things accomplished.  I finished this top for  my guild's Community Service.  Someone had donated these jar blocks and I assembled it into a top.


I finished the Clue 4 on the Scrap Dance Quadrille Mystery by Carole at From My Carolina Home.  



I cut out a bunch of blue strips for the Winter Blues wedding quilt I am making.  These are for the pieced border.  I have 21 more blocks to make.



I finished 3 more of the Ella Maria Deacon blocks done.  



This is the last one left to do, and I don't know whether to piece it by hand, or paper piece.  Paper piecing is not my forte.  


On Saturday I had intended to make the rest of the border blocks for the Winter Blues quilt.  But then a either a "squirrel" caught my attention, or DrEAMI (Drop Everything and Make It) happened.  

I kept seeing Susan Nixon @DesertSky Quilting making potato chip blocks.  You can find the tutorial for making these blocks by Brenda @Conquering Mt. Scrapmore on You Tube.

So Saturday instead of finishing my Winter Blues border I was cutting out 2.5 x 4.5 inch rectangles to make the potato chip blocks.  At Christmas time I had used my scrap rectangles as packing of some Christmas gifts I sent away to quilting friends, including Susan Nixon.  I got 5 made, and my second one I goofed up by putting an an extra row on both sides.  


For my slow stitching this week I plan to continue to work on my Kathy Schmitz sampler which keeps getting set aside.   I'll be linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and check out what everyone has been up to. 



That's it for this week.  I'm thankful I got my mojo back!  Thanks for stopping by!





















11 comments:

  1. The thrift store shopping would have been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 AM

    I’m looking forward to seeing all of your blocks made into a quilt! That last one looks challenging!! That is going to be a great t shirt quilt. So full of fun memories. Gail at the Cozy Quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The t-shirt quilt is wonderful. Lovely to stitch with your granddaughter and be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:43 PM

    Enjoyed reading and following along on your weeks adventure. How wonderful you're making a potato chip quilt. I've been following Susan and her potato chip quilt. I think they are fabulous. Kind of reminds me of those crazy quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you got your stitching mojo back. I have a whole pack of my daughter's t-shirts to eventually make into a quilt. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking of you a lot of late♡ How wonderful you and Kyleigh had such a lovely time together working on her quilt. She must be such a joy to you. Your garden is beginning to look lovely with all the flowers. Loving those foxgloves. I would imagine all the rain you have had these past months is producing lots of flowers. Enjoy your week, lovely Karrin♡ Hope you enjoy lots of lovely stitching♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, browsing in thrift stores can be so fun! I’m sorry you lost your shade!
    It sounds like Kyleigh is really enjoying quilting! How fun to have a quilt filled with so many beautiful memories! To my eye, you two looks so alike – the eyes and your precious smiles. Just beautiful!
    Oh! Jar blocks! I had forgotten I wanted to make a jar block quilt! Thank you for sharing! How fun!
    Karrin, you are such a talented sewist! I love those Ella Maria Deacon blocks! Wow…..
    Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did get your mojo back! Love seeing what you've been working on all week. I bet it was fun having Kyleigh over to work on the t-shirt quilt, too. Glad you've been getting rain for the plants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what fun at your house! How delightful that Kyleigh takes after her grandma in the quilting department. It's such fun to sew with someone else. I always get more done. There is an alternate potato chip block that has another round, so yours isn't really wrong. I love those blocks, and I'm glad to have returned the favor of your sending me cut pieces with the favor of inspiring you to make your own. =) You are working on such wonderful projects. I hope to get back to the Deacon blocks later this summer, after a couple of other things finish. Wonderful post - beautiful plants, and I'm glad for your rain. I've been getting a deluge today and it goes on through Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes you have to go with what sounds best to you - I love thrift shopping! Good luck finding ways to shade your plants. Your granddaughter is beautiful and her quilt looks great so far. I really like your potato chip blocks, and those Ella Maria Deacon blocks are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mojo certainly came bouncing back again, that's such a lot you have achieved. Good on your granddaughter for all the work she has done on her tee shirt quilt, and good on you for guiding her with this.

    ReplyDelete