Sunday, June 04, 2023

HQAL, Slow Sunday Stitching

It was another busy week.  I went with some quilting friends to see the movie Book Club 2.  It was quite entertaining and I liked it.  

Wednesday was our quilt guild's workday.  Whenever there is a 5th Wednesday in the month, we have a workday from 9-2, with a potluck lunch.  We bring quilts for people to quilt, or quilt kits for them to assemble, or they can assemble pillowcases.  

I chose to work on the Sunbonnet Sue blocks that were donated by the daughter of a former quilt guild member who had passed earlier this year.  I am in the midst of putting on the sashing I cut out from my stash.  



I also got my Hands2Help quilts in the mail this week.   The first quilt is for Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo, the second for MCC, and the last 2 quilts are for Little Lambs.  



Last week I was also quite busy with my garden.  In the middle of planting things, I got this idea to make another garden bed in the area that was formerly John's boat yard.  I had these edgers/pavers that were taken up when I redid my front yard last year.  



I moved this beam across the yard with a dolly, and the rest was made up of the leftover edgers and brick.  I ended up hauling in about 25 cu yards of soil from bags.  One of the reasons I did this was because in sorting out another garden I found that my wisteria has dropped seeds all over the place.  And my irises and naked lady bulbs need to be separated as they are way overgrown.  It might look a little tacky but I didn't have to pay for anything but the soil.  






My garden is looking like this now.    I bought a dragonfruit plant.  I need to see if I can dig a hole in my hardpan soil to plant it.  



This is what a dragonfruit tree looks like.



While working outside the other day raking up some leaves, I disturbed this snake.  It wrapped itself around my rake, and I carried it across to the park and let it go.  

My hydrangeas are getting ready to burst out in color.  I have a blue one right now, but usually all mine turn pink or purple because of my soil.  This blue one I planted late last year.



Daughter Kristen had this pop up on her Facebook page from 9 years ago that grandson Keaton had written.  


This is Keaton now.  



Granddaughter Kyleigh and her boyfriend Drew had some beautiful pictures taken with Maple by a friend of theirs.  





After working on charity quilts for the past several months, it felt good to get back to working on Winter Blues, a quilt by Bonnie Hunter.   I am working on the pieced borders right now.  I think I should be able to get them sewn on tomorrow.  



Right now my slow stitching work is on a long-ago UFO, from 1999!    I am attempting to finish it for the When Pigs Fly Sew-It Show-It Challenge in a couple of weeks.  


This is the part I am working on now.  The project consists of more embroidered blocks, and a bunch of pieced blocks.  I am trying to get at least the top done, but it is going to be close.  



Check out the other hand quilt along members below. 

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Connie


I will also be linking up at Kathy's Quilt for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Check out what these bloggers have been up to.  


Thanks for stopping by!

 

7 comments:

  1. you have been very busy - I think the backyard garden looks great ad the way you re-used the pavers and the wood a good idea. Love the Bonnie quilt pattern looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of your productivity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your new raised garden bed! It looks perfect for that space. The dragon fruit tree is an interesting one - is the fruit edible? The Sunbonnet Sue quilt is going to be so cute! Happy stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Karrin - I always enjoy your updates and whats happening around the 'homestead' loving the new garden area too

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the hard work in your garden is beginning to reap rewards, Karrin. The garden is looking lovely. Of course your hydrangeas made me smile and oh my goodness, the dragon fruit tree is fabulous. Love seeing all your charity quilts displayed all in a row and how gorgeous is your Winter Blues quilt!! Lovely photos of Kylie, Drew and Maple, and Keaton all grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new garden spot looks great, Karrin. Good luck getting your Pigs Fly project completed this week, I look forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of beauty, in quilts and in gardening. I think the garden looks fabulous, and those hydrangeas are wonderful. I'm having trouble getting mine started, but we have about half an hour of pouring rain, so maybe that will help! I look forward to seeing your dragonfruit grow. What an accommodating snake! LOL

    ReplyDelete