Sunday, June 25, 2023

HQAL, Slow Sunday Stitching

It has been a busy couple of weeks.  I have been working on a lot of Community Service quilts.  Last month on workday at my house, our bin of quilts/backs was emptied for the first time in 10 years apparently.  The members of our quilt will donate tops, and we will find backings.  Then workday at my house consists of cutting the batting and binding, and bagging them up.  Gail @ Cozy Quilter asked several weeks ago how many members belonged to our guild.  We have 146 members, and usually have about 80-90 attend guild meetings.  

Because of our empty bins,  I decided to make a couple of scrap quilts before the workday at my house next week.  I asked several people for their scrap flannel, particularly children's prints.  I have been making a modification of the potato chip block by Brenda @Conquering Mt. Scrapmore.    Instead of two 2.5 x 4.5 inch rectangles in the center, I am just cutting out a 4.5 inch square, usually fussy-cut.  I've spent quite a few hours cutting up scraps and have a nice assortment now, of boys and girls prints. 


My daughter Katie,  and granddaughter Klara came over two weekends in a row and helped me lay out blocks enough for 4 quilts.  Klara thought it was fun to lay the blocks out.  



These are the two I completed this week.


I went to Joann's this week to get some backing for the Community Service Quilts.  They had some for $3.99 on sale, which is a great price.  I spent $32 and saved $49!  

My SAHRR from this year, a Stay At Home Round Robin hosted by Quilting Gail will also be going into the Community Service Bin this next week.  


Last week for the When Pigs Fly challenge, hosted by Joan @Moosestash Quilting, one of the projects I had gotten out of the closet to work on was a project I started in 1996 from a quilt along with some online quilting friends.   This quilt is called the Blessings Quilt. 


Back that many years ago, I finished 1/4 of the quilt.  


I had hoped for the challenge to have this project finished .  I have spent the past month embroidering the motifs and got this many done.  




I have finished all the motifs except this squirrel, and another large flower motif.  



This will be my project for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Check out what the other hand quilters, and piecers are working on below.  

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Connie


I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.    Head over there and checking out what those quilters have been working on.

My yard is looking pretty good.  The trumpet vine is attracting hummingbirds like crazy.  I have it trained to grow almost like a tree.  


The dahlias are blooming.


I have some hollyhocks coming up amongst the moss rocks which I didn't plant.  



Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. How wonderful your granddaughters enjoy helping you!
    Budding quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that your daughter and granddaughter helped you lay out some quilts. I think it is wonderful that you make donation quilts. Your embroidery is so pretty. I hope you can finish this quilt soon. Love the photos of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your guild sounds an active and generous group! I'm glad you're still working on the Blessings quilt - it's going to be beautiful. Your yard is looking great! I would love to have something like your Trumpet Vine that attracts the hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Another busy week and lots of fabulous projects completed. The children's potato chip quilts are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to have a granddaughter to play block switcheroo with! Great that you got so many quilt tops ready to go. The squirrel looks like he will soon join his finished embroidery friends. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much enjoyed your day with When Pigs Fly. So many interesting projects and of course, I loved the ones with embroidery and hand stitching. How good it feels to bring some projects to the finish line. Lovely photos here. And how kind you and your guild members are to donate their time and expertise like you all do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful opportunity to get the young ones involved and help them learn how great it feels to be creative and make things! Love the outcome! Your SAHRR is fabulous! I want to join in next year! Enjoy your hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice total on the community service tops, and love the look of your yard. Making it a family affair is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally catching up,wi5 you Karrin, and boy have you been busy…all those great finishes! Your energy has no bounds. I love the Blessings quilt, enjoy your time embroidering those sections!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun celebratory times with your family, Karrin. Love all the happy family photos. Beautiful wood bowls your brother-in-law gifted you. Winter Blues is a beautiful finish. That backing fabric teams perfectly with the gorgeous design if the front. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete