Sunday, June 11, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

Last week it was another busy one.  Tuesday I attended youngest granddaughter Klara's next-to-last day of school BBQ at her lunch time.   Had a nice hot dog and chip lunch and somehow managed to get mustard all over my leggings!  


Last week I did finish the top of Winter Blues, a Bonnie Hunter pattern.  This will be a wedding gift for a friend's daughter.  I need to get the backing, and I am having someone quilt it for me.  

This week I hosted my quilting mini group on Friday.  Thursday I had some friends I have known probably for 41 years come to lunch.  I recently was able to reconnect with them after a long period of time.  

Because of my company I needed to pick up my quilting things.  I usually sew in my kitchen, and my cutting/ironing station is in the dining room.  So Tuesday I picked up everything, and didn't do anymore sewing until Saturday when I got things out again.  

Early last week my co-chair of the Community Service committee brought me a box of scrap flannel which I had requested.  Our guild does a number of things for children.  We make pillowcases for children in the hospital, we also make a small 18 inch quilt for preschoolers which we hand out with a book and stuffed animal.  Cathy cuts up the kits for these for members of the guild to take home and bring back completed.  She uses a lot of flannel.  She brought me a box of scraps.

I spent 2-1/2 days cutting up scraps, mostly to make potato chip blocks.  You can find out how to make these blocks on Conquering Mt. Scrapmore with Brenda.    The blocks are cut out 2.5 x 4.5 inches.  I also decided to modify the block some, instead of having two of these rectangles in the center, I also cut out 4.5 inch blocks for the center.   They are called potato chip blocks because like a potato chip, you can't just make one.  I probably got 1/3 of the scraps Cathy brought over cut up.  She has some more for me this next week.  




After I was able to get my sewing machine back out, I did start 9 blocks.  I just need to add a strip of 3 rectangles to the sides of these blocks.  These aren't necessarily going to go together.  I think I will make girls and boys versions.  



When I had my friends, and quilters over last week, I made some goodies, but the highlight was these 6 minute caramels you make in the microwave. 


You can find the recipe here.  They are spectacular, and you can't eat just one!

I also worked quite a bit in the garden cleaning out beds before guests arrived.  Still have one more to work on.   My hydrangeas are in all their glory.  I even brought in a few in the house. 



My hollyhocks are getting ready to bloom.  I had to cut them back last year when they had blooms all ready to bloom, but the leaves had some brown spotted disease, I had to cut them back to the ground.  I am keeping an eye out for that this time.  This has a dark almost black--purple flower.


I am still working on 3 projects for the When Pigs Fly Challenge coming up in a few weeks.  Two will be easily accomplished, the third is a maybe.  

This is what I will be working on for Slow Sunday Stitching.  


I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  

I found this on Facebook the other day.  


Thanks for stopping by!


13 comments:

  1. love your hydrangea. The quilt top is so pretty - I'm glad I do not have to drag my sewing machine to the kitchen anymore - I always used to do that years ago - I think that is why I did so much hand piecing- I could put everything in a basket and keep by a chair in the living room once pieces were cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers. That is a lot of cutting of fabric you have been doing. They are going to make some great quilts. Enjoy your stitching today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your guild does so many worthwhile things for others. Lovely to belong to that sort of organization.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hydrangeas are beautiful, Karrin! I love the Winter Blues top - such a pretty design. The Facebook meme is perfect - I need to keep sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe link. My husband loves caramels and they've been hard to find lately. I love those potato chip blocks. Winter Blues is gorgeous. What a wonderful wedding gift. It will be a while before any hydrangeas are in bloom here. Yours are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh....look at your gorgeous hydrangeas! They are amazing. Quite right to take a few inside and enjoy them. =) Your Winter Blues is a most beautiful quilt top. Once quilted it will be a gorgeous wedding present. Lucky couple! Sweet photo of you, your granddaughter and daughter. How fun to enjoy this special occasion at her school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Winter Blues is stunning. Love the border. Gorgeous hydrangeas as well. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:10 PM

    I can see why those blocks are like potato chips!!! Your guild sure does a lot of very worthwhile charity work! How many people are in the guild? Lovely flowers in your garden. Take care. Gail at the Cozy Quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun time at the school BBQ! Your Winter Blues is beautiful. Love those hydrangeas! Thank you for the link to the caramel recipe, they look delicious. The bloom on the hollyhocks is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:49 PM

    Another great week past - here's to another filled with lots of fun and magical moments - happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like everything else you grow, I don't do well with hydrangeas. I love them, and yours are beautiful. I like that meme at the bottom. It made me laugh. You had a good week with family and friends, and the potato chip blocks look super. I think I have 3 more to make for my current project, and then I'm working on other things for a while, before I go back to them. They just make such a great leader-ender!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Karrin! I love your quilt sharing at the beginning of your post... you are looking great in the photo you shared too! I love the flowers you shared too! Glad you blog... now let me catch up weekly in the future...now that we are moved and Mostly settled here! lol
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed my catchup of your last three posts, Karrin. My you are wonderfully busy. Lovely projects in your kitchen sewing room and you accomplish so much! Thanks for that yummy recipe link too.

    ReplyDelete