Wednesday, June 21, 2023

When Pigs Fly Challenge, My Day

 


DiagramDescription automatically generated


The When Pigs Fly Challenge started on Monday,  hosted by the fabulous Joan @Moosestash Quilting.   The challenge this time is to get those projects out of bags, bins and closets.  PIGS-Projects in Grocery Sacks, UFO's-Unfinished Objects, WIPS, Works in Progress.  There have been so many great finishes the last few days.    


Many thanks to Joan for this great challenge, as I have innumerable works in progress, I really don't have Projects in Grocery Sacks, but I have a lot of those scrapbook boxes filled with projects, plus I have a lot of those zippered bags that sheets come in filled with projects up in my sewing room closet.  


Back in May, for the Little Green Apples Challenge, hosted by Carol @ Just Let Me Quilt I got a  UFO out of the closet.  This was started in the late 1990's when I was a fairly new quilter.  I took an Apple Core class at the local quilt store.  I cut out tons and tons of apple cores, assembled 5 rows, and it has been in the closet ever since.  For the Little Green Apples Challenge I assembled the whole quilt top.    I even had the backing in with the rest of the box of apple core pieces.   For this PIGs flying challenge, I quilted it, and bound it, and it is ready to gift to my son-in-law Jeff next week for his birthday.  It was a windy day to take a picture so had to clamp it to the fence.






The second project I finished up was a relatively new one.  Last year I was working on Kathy Schmitz's Gathered Blessings.  We were supposed to complete one section each month.  Mine was stuck at the half-way place, June,  and we were supposed to have finished by December.   I finished the embroidery, and even did a simple hand quilting.  





My next finish is a relatively new project.  Last year I made my brother Bill and sister-in-law Char a lighthouse quilt.  This was their payment for putting a new kitchen floor in for me.   I finished last fall and gifted it to them when they came up for Christmas.  For the past 6-8 months I have had 8 leftover Storm-At Sea blocks, plus fabrics I used for the quilt sitting in a pile in my sewing room.  I intended to make some pillow shams to match the quilt.  I made a point for this challenge of making these pillow shams.  I think their king sized pillows are larger than mine, but here is the quilt on their bed, and the pillow shams.








My fourth intended finish was an over-ambitious thought, considering a lot of it involved hand embroidery and 3/4 of the quilt was unfinished.  Back in 1996, I was in a yahoo group online quilting group, and we had a quilt-along for a quilt named Blessings by Jennifer Lokey and Karen Roosien.   It consisted of four sections, and each section came in a separate book. Each section could be a stand alone quilt, or could be put all together.  I finished the first section.



This is the entire finished quilt from the book.  


This was another project in one of the zippered sheet bags.  I had all the fabrics I intended to use, plus the instructions.  I traced out all of the designs, and these are the ones I finished the embroidery on for this challenge.    I have 2 left to embroider.  I still need to assemble the pieced portions of the quilt.  But it is out of the closet, and I hope to finish this one and give to a long time friend.  



So that was all the PIGS I was able to round up and get finished this time.  I even have a tiny blank space in the top of my sewing room closet.   Thanks again to Joan for the encouragement! 


Be sure to visit the other bloggers.  The entire schedule is below.  

19 comments:

  1. Wow, you really did work down to the wire! What a lot of wonderful projects are now out and about in the world. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you accomplished quite a lot for this hop! Your projects are all amazing, but that apple core quilt is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karrin, your fabulous finishes are amazing and your son in law is going to love his birthday quilt. Storm at Sea blocks are my favorite. What a great addition those pillow shams are for the lighthouse quilt you made. Sweet little stitchery quilt and that Blessings quilt is gorgeous! I just started keeping those plastic zip cases that sheets come in. They are great for storing projects in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a bunch of PIGS finished (or on the way to being finished! I especially like that hand embroidery, and I am impressed with the apple core quilt's wavy border. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job with all the projects you finished. Excellent. The pillow shams shamed me because I have ones that I intended to make to match the POTCs quilt - what happened?? Probably good we don't remember but wonderful to get 'er done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just reminded me that my unfinished Little Green Apples is sitting in my closet - I forgot all about it! Your projects are all so pretty Karrin, I especially like your Gathered Blessings and that pretty backing, as well as the gorgeous pillow shams. Nice work and YAY on now having space in the top of your closet! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for all the finishes! Love the quilts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karrin, you finished up an amazing amount of projects! I'm so impressed! I love the apple core quilt - what a great gift for your son-in-law. And the pillow shams to go with your brother's quilt are the perfect use for those leftover blocks, too. Lots of great finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your PIGS are fabulous, and mostly finished. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did an amazing job getting some PIGs done and another moving again. All good and all wonderful....thanks for hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, Karrin! You really dug out some treasures to finish. I love your Storm at Sea and your Blessings quilt deserves to be finished. It looks amazing! Thank you for sharing your PIGS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoops, I forgot! That apple core quilt is incredible...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job of rounding up and getting those PIGS to the finish line! I love all your finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you got a lot done!!! Love them all :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful accomplishments. Love that you are working on those beautiful, if labor intensive, embroidery pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all of your accomplishments espe ially the labor intensive embroidery pieces. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of great finishes. Lovely embroidered blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely finishes! I absolutely love the apple core quilt. The wavy edging is amazing.

    ReplyDelete