Sunday, January 28, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching

It has been a couple of weeks since I checked in.  I have been busy with guild activities.  We have had some rainy days here recently.    Most of our community service fabrics are stored  in a commercial building owned by one of our members husband.  He has a train store.  Our fabrics are stored in the very back of the old, old building that unfortunately has a leak in the roof, mostly where are fabrics are stored.  And a lot of our containers apparently had no lids on them.  My co-chair Cathy and I went over several weeks ago with some new containers with lids.  We found 5 containers without lids and sitting in water.  I brought them home and spent 3 whole days washing, drying and ironing the fabric.  Some of the fabric we had to toss as it had stains that did not wash out.



We went back over this week and there was even more water than last week.  We relocated some of the bins to another area that doesn't seem to be leaking.  The owner is looking into getting it fixed we have heard.  

This week was the White Rabbit Blog Hop, hosted by Carol @Just Let Me Quilt.   My day was here.

I also had workday at my house this week.   We cut batting and binding for the tops and backings we have and pack them up into kits.  The first of the month I will take them to pin basting day and then to guild meeting for people to take home.

This past week I also finished the 1st Pumpkin Village block.  I had miscut the sheep's body and head and legs, and had to go into my leftover wool and luckily found enough to recut those pieces, but it is finally done.



This week I also finished  this section of the Blessings Quilt. I now have only the last section to complete.  I am hoping to get this completed, quilted and entered in our quilt show in May.



This week we also celebrated my oldest daughter Kristen's birthday.  We had a family dinner and later in the week I went out with Kristen's friends, and my other daughter Katie and celebrated at a local bar.  It was music bingo night and we played 6 rounds, but didn't win anything, but had a lot of fun.  I had pictures to show, but I can't seem  to get the pictures to download from my Iphone into my windows computer tonight.  

Another fun thing I have done this week was visit a guild member's home.  She collects doilies and laces, old linens, and she invited me to come over and pick out what I wanted.  She calls it "rescuing them".  I use things like this for my crazy quilting.  She also gifted  me an antique crazy quilt, which is disintegrating in some places.  This is the stash I brought home.



What I will be working on for Slow Sunday Stitching is my redwork Sunbonnet Sue.  I just prepared 6 blocks.  Next year our guild's show is going to be red and white quilts, so this will be my first one.  


I got the iron-on patterns from this old book I had in my collection.


I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.    Head on over and see what everyone has been up to.

Thanks for stopping by!





8 comments:

  1. sounds like it might be time for guild members to all store a box or two at their homes to save the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to rescue those treasures! Will you try to repair that crazy quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad about the stored fabric - you went to a lot of work to fix it. Happy Birthday to your daughter! That sounds like a fun night. Enjoy your stitching today, Karrin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your projects especially the Pumpkin Village block it's amazing. Such a shame about the leak it's good that you managed to save some of the fabrics but it sounds like a lot of work. have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about water damage fabrics. Good for you and friend to sort through it all and protect what you can. Enjoy using your bits of old trims and laces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a marvel, Karen! So many activities you juggle in the air. That's a lot of washing and ironing of those fabrics. Such a bother for the leak to find its mark on the fabrics. Blessings is such a beautiful quilt. Lucky you to be gifted all those doilies and other such pretties. The crazy patchwork has found the right home. Will you add some more stitching to it? Happy Birthday to your daughter. Your celebration sounds like heaps of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:01 AM

    Glad you were able to save most of the fabric …what a lot of work ! The wool appliqué pumpkin is so fun! Looks like a fun embroidery project for your red and white quilt . Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lot of lovely items you got from your guild friend, I'm sure you will have plans to use these treasures soon. Such a shame your quilt clubs fabrics got wet, quite a bit of time and effort to put that fight again.

    ReplyDelete