Sunday, June 30, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching, Boy is it Hot!

It seems that the weeks are flying by, we are at the end of June, and halfway through the year.  It just doesn't seem possible.  

This week was workday for our guild's community service group at my house.  We had about 6 people I think.  What we do is cut the batting for quilt tops that have been donated by our members, and also figure out how much binding they will need, and package everything together in a plastic bag, along with a quilt label.  These will be taken to pin basting day in 2 weeks, and then taken to the guild meeting for members to take home and work on quilting.

This week, as well as last week, we have had days in the 100's, and next week due supposedly to get up to 108-113 maybe.  I have been trying to get out and garden first thing or else it is too hot.  I have an annoying weed in my backyard, it is a morning glory weed with a white flower.  It entwines itself around everything, seeming to choke plants off.  It took me about 1/2 to get it out of my miniature lemon tree, and I got poked a couple of times with the tree's thorns.  No matter how many times I pull it up, it always comes back.   

These are some pictures of how my gardens are growing.


The dahlia in the front is about to bloom


The dahlia in the back and hydrangea are blooming


My tomatoes are going crazy along with the zucchini




As far as what I have been doing this week, I made a little dirty clothes bag to take with me on trips.  I cut the Dirty Laundry out of iron-on Vinyl with my Cricut.  I am a succor for nautical fabric, with lighthouses, whales, mermaids, sailing ships.  I have had this piece of fabric in my stash since 1999.  I decided to use it for my laundry bag.  I probably have more of it in my stash, but I love it!    I closed the top with a piece of Velcro.




While looking through my nautical stash I found a panel to make a tote bag, so I finally finished that.



The blog hop I am participating in for July is called Something Smells Fishy.  I pieced a background for my project.  


For Slow Sunday Stitching this week, I will continue working on my Kathy Schmitz project, and if I want to switch, I have July's Woven Wreaths to work on.




I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and see what everyone has been up to.

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. What lovely gardens you have made!! So pretty and productive!!

    I have a small KS embroidery finally backed and ready to stitch--it's more of a "Christmassy" theme so may wait a bit to begin; in the meantime I have a new "Drop Cloth" one to start...resting my hands after quilt binding these past few days...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your fishy background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the weed is bindweed. It is a very close relative of morning glory. But it is a nasty invasive form, not only spreads by seed, but also by underground runners. It's one of the few weeds (along with Canada thistle) I break out the nasty glyphosate weed killers for. Put a paper towel in a zip-top bag, spray the weed killer in the bag, soaking the towel, stuff the bindweed in the bag, squeeze out as much air as possible, and close the bag. Let it stay on for a few days. Looks odd, but it's better than spraying around wanted plants, and it lets the spray soak in and reach the root system. Your gardens look so good, mine are getting overrun with weeds.

    That background for the upcoming fish project looks nice and watery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too hot! I hope you can stay cool, but get some gardening time, too. We also have that bindweed - so hard to keep it under control. Looks like you have some fun projects going on! I just realized it's time for the July Woven Wreaths - I guess I'll be working on that this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the background for the upcoming hop. The gardens are looking great. My goodness - that is hot weather. Enjoy your slow stitching today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hot in your neck of the woods! Try to stay cool as possible. It sounds like you and the guild ladies are getting a lot accomplished. Oh yes the morning glory battle is one that I face as well. Have a blessed week and enjoy your slow stitching Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:45 PM

    We call that weed bind weed in the uk and it’s a devil to get rid of. Your garden is looking lovely though. Nice projects you’ve completed. Love the dresses in last weeks post. And the bloghop background is gor. Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete