Monday, January 14, 2019

Good Fortune Mystery Finish


goodfortune200


Since the reveal of the Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune Mystery last week, I have been working hard to get it together.  I decided when I was about halfway through putting this together to donate the top to the Carolina Hurricane Quilt Project, being coordinated by Carole at From My Carolina Home.  

When this hurricane was first developing, I was back in Boston taking granddaughter Kyleigh to college.  My brother-in-law Roger was here helping care for my husband while I was gone. By the time I got back home 5 days later, Roger was anxious to get back home to North Carolina before they cancelled flights.  It took the airlines 2 days before they decided to allow it, without him paying more.  Roger got home before the hurricane hit land, and decided to stay in place instead of evacuating.  He was without power 4 days I think.  I was worried about him the entire time.  

So I decided to donate it to the Carolina Hurricane Project.  I sent it off to the longarmer in North Carolina this morning who has graciously offered to quilt it.  

I had a great time with my first Bonnie Hunter Mystery.  I decided to put plain fabric in for the third border as the strip pieced units I made were fragile, mainly because I forgot to shorten my stitch, and when I started pulling my paper out, they started coming apart.   I didn't want to start over as I have other projects I need to get done this month.  Also I have decided I need a remedial course in counting, as I was missing some units!

My quilt is made probably 80% of Civil War reproduction fabrics.  The oranges were what I did not have a lot of in that line.  The sun finally came out yesterday so I could take some pictures.





I'll be linking up to the Mystery Monday Link-up at Quiltville.  Thanks so much again Bonnie for such a beautiful quilt!


6 comments:

  1. What gorgeous quilt top! I really can’t wait to see it quilted up and finished!!! 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a family that will treasure this beauty. You have a beautiful heart Karrin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful gift for whoever receives it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least I did see this on IG! It's a wonderful finish, and a wonderful purpose. Thank you for setting such a good example for me. I'm excited to think of it going to a family who has lost everything, and you've given something of your best to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful finish! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2019 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete