Tuesday, October 22, 2019

What I've Been Up To

I've been really busy trying to get projects done before November 13th.  I need to get all my quilting projects done before my brother-in-law arrives from North Carolina on the 14th.  

First off, I'm redoing one of the Hospital Sketches blocks, the Coxcombs and Currants.  I did not like the colors I chose for my original block.  I started taking the original one apart, and then decided it was too much work.   The last one I put 6 berries on each branch.  This time, I am going to put 12 as the pattern shows and I spent 2 days preparing 48 berries.  This is the old version.  I didn't like the brown and the the yellow was too faded out.


This is the new version.  Not such a great picture with the poor lighting in this house.  I like this cheddar a lot better.  



Next up, I spent about 3 days working on the Buhl-Bushong Quilt.  This is from the Virginia Quilt Museum's collection of quilts.  They are offering it as a BOM.  I have 2 completed blocks, and made crowns for 3 more.    I the components all prepped for the 3 more blocks.




These are the completed 2.  After I finish these 3 by hand applique, I'll only have 11 more to do.  I'm not that fond of paper piecing, but I wanted my crowns to have perfect points or as near perfect as I could.   I was going to do 2 blocks of each color combination, but when I went to cut out and paper piece the above ones, I found I had done crowns for 1/2 of a block more.  So I ended up making 3 of that color combination.  Not that it matters, but part of my cheddars I only have small amounts.  And the one I used for the outer ring I used up on this one.



Next up, I am going to start quilting my Crow's Feet top.  This is on my Finish-A-Long list for the 4th quarter.  I have the backing on the frame, and need to get the top pinned on.  I should be able to get this done in a few hours hopefully, if my thread and machine cooperate today.   This is a Cheri Payne pattern .  My crows don't show up too good, so I am going to have to  do some creative stitching to get them to show better.



Sunday when my daughter Kristen was here, she mentioned she had a coworker that had a micro-preemie last month and asked if I had anything I could quilt up for the baby.  The baby is still hospitalized.  Her due date was supposed to be the middle of November I think.

Anyway, I pulled out the Scrap Dance Minuet that Carole @ From My Carolina Home offered as a mystery earlier this year.  I am going to cut out some frogs and Sunbonnet Sues with my Accuquilt dies and get those machine stitched on today, to be ready to quilt hopefully last this week after Crow's Feet is done. 

Guess I'd better get busy!   Thanks for stopping by!




1 comment:

  1. Lots to keep you busy this week, Karrin! I bet you meet your goal of getting things to the point you want before your brother arrives!

    ReplyDelete