Thursday, February 27, 2020

One Monthly Goal- February-Done



It's time to link up finishes for February for One Monthly Goal @ Elm Street Quilts.  I so much appreciate this monthly motivation for finishes and many thanks again to Patty!

For February, my One Monthly Goal I stated here.  I call it my couch project.  The section of couch I sit on is a chaise type section.  Our couch is sort of a corduroy type fabric and last year I noticed there was a run in one of the low areas.  I didn't want it to get worse, so I ironed a large patch on the inside, but the patch was heavier than the weight of the couch fabric, that it bunches up around the edges like this, and it bugged me.



For awhile I had this quilt I made my husband years ago on top of it, and wrapped around the edges, but every time I got up, it came undone, and was wrinkly.  This picture is after I smoothed it out.


I really liked the configuration of this quilt, and decided I would do something similar and make quilt, and turn it into a cushion cover.  

I remembered I had some swap blocks.  I went to pull them out.  Many, many years ago, in 2005 I belonged to a Yahoo Group called "The Fat Quarters".  For awhile we did something called "Lotto".  We would all receive a focus fabric, and we would make a block.  At the end of the month, someone would pull a name, and that person would receive all the blocks.    

In September 2005, I won the 15 blocks.  The focus fabric was sort of a primitive Christmas, but you really have too look to see that the branches have ornaments on it.  

This was the focus fabric and every block had this in it.  



Several of the names you might recognize as block makers:  Bonnie Hunter @Quiltville, Lori DeJarnatt @Humble Quilts, Nancy Stevens @ Blogging, Near PhiladelphiaRandy Danto @Barrister's Block,  and the only other one I know that has a blog is Moira McSpadden @ The Quilted Snail.

I made my plan, and decided I needed to make 80 blocks total at 9" finished size.  So I needed to make 40 HST's and 25 more pieced blocks.  These were my Lotto blocks.



I got the blocks together and it looked like this.



I quilted it, and then I serged around all the edges because I wanted to wash it before I started making the slipcover portion.   It was way big enough before I washed it. 



But after I washed it, It  had shrunk about 4-5 inches all around.  It didn't matter so much in the length, but I needed it for the width.  So on the back of the piece in sewed in a strip of upholstery fabric that I happened to have.  This is the back side that I need to piece a strip into.  I just used muslin for the backing because it will be inside the cushion cover.  




I squared the corners so it would fit properly at the bottom edge of the cushion


This is the finished cushion cover.  I love how it came out, and how it doesn't keep unloose!




I'll be linking up to Elm Street Quilts for One Monthly Goal.  Thanks again Patty for all you do!

3 comments:

  1. The setting for your blocks works well and so does the color choice of those blocks.

    I came across the pattern in my stash that is what you used for your header quilt. Made me wish I had many more hours each day to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. It really says, "A quilter sits here!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete