Saturday, March 21, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching


Time to report in again at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.   I really appreciate this weekly check in and motivation in seeing others' works.

This week has been a crazy one.  Multiple appointments were cancelled due to the mandate for shelter in place for the whole state of California now.  I did venture out daily in the mornings for needed supplies, most of which were gone from the shelves.  I can now say I did score some TP yesterday at Target, and was finally able to find some distilled water for my husband's CPAP machine at Sprouts, after looking for almost 2 weeks for those items.

My chest freezer and refrigerator are now filled to the brim for now, so we can rest easy.  I do miss our family, children and grandchildren immensely.  Granddaughter Kyleigh on her way home with her Dad as of Sunday driving cross-country from Boston.  They will drop off her roommate in Arizona along the way.

So what little sewing time I did this week, I finished up the Buhl-Bushong quilt border assignment for March.


Those blue flowers I ended up changing the fabric below.  I didn't think it offered enough contrast against the green, so I took it out and substituted the above fabric.



This week, I have been working on the Ella Maria Deacon quilt blocks too.  There were 2 applique, 1 broderie perse, which I have all prepped, and I will be slow stitching on Sunday. 

The fourth block was a lone star type pieced block.  I spent 4 afternoons working on this one.

The first one came out like this, almost looks like a cap.  I was really trying to force it to go together.

There is no way this one is going to lay down at all.  I didn't even bother putting three of the corners on.  This took me 2 afternoons to do this much.  I had a hard time figuring out where those parallelograms were supposed to match up.  I kept being off one way or the other.  I took some of those seams out 2-3 times.



Then yesterday I got this far before figuring this wasn't going to work either.  It was like a sliver was missing.



So today I read on Facebook someone from the group had theirs done, and had a hard time too, and did EPP.  So I decided that was what I would do.    I have never done EPP before and it was relaxing to me.  This is the first section.  I still need to prep the other 3 sections so I can do the hand work on these too.    But I think this will be better.  I did figure out when I made the templates to which we were to add the seam allowance, it was larger than it should have been.  That was probably what caused all my difficulties.  



And if I don't have enough to do above, I still have my Father Christmas block waiting to be put together!




I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and see what everyone has been doing. 

Thanks so much for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. You are working on such lovely projects and they are coming together beautifully! Produce, dairy and meat as well as paper products are in short (if almost non-existent) supply here...
    But i ask: What to do if TP runs out? I am making us some handkerchiefs for when you cannot get kleenex...hugs from afar Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the whole set of Santa patterns by Laurene Sinema. So good to see someone working on one of them. I should do one now and then.
    Your diamond shapes surely gave you a great deal of problem but looks like you are finally getting better results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad EPP worked for you in the end! And glad you got supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of stitching at your house. The lone star block is nice especially with your fabric choices. Glad you did not give up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat projects to be working on--
    and I find that I can come up with an endless list of projects to work on--
    it's finding the project and the 'mood' to do that project at the same time--
    that sometimes get me confused!!!!
    happy stitching
    luv, di

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell that your pink block is eventually going to be so pretty and worth all of the trouble it has caused! Glad you found a way that will work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's people in your situation which makes these days extremely difficult. So glad you were able to hunt down your supplies. Fabulous too that your freezer is stocked. I think you will love EPP. There is just something about the control one has over each stitch and the 'perfectness' of joining all those little corners and each piece lying flat. Love those blue flowers of yours. Oh, I am enjoying seeing all your applique flowers coming together. Love visiting your little place, actually. Take care, lovely Karrin. Enjoy your day stitching.

    ReplyDelete