Sunday, March 03, 2024

HQAL, Slow Sunday Stitching

It's been a couple of weeks since I checked in for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Last weekend my daughter Kristen, SIL Jeff, and I took a trip to San Diego.  We got there a little early and spent an hour at my old hangout, the beach in Carlsbad, CA.   



 My sister kindly let us stay with her while we were in Southern California.  We made a visit to San Diego Zoo on Friday.    


That evening we went to a favorite Mexican Restaurant of both John and his parents.  It is called Fidel's in Solana Beach.  We used to live right down the street.  It was just as wonderful as it was when I first started going in 1973.  



Saturday I was able to visit with an dear friend of John and I that has had a rough couple of years.  It was really good to visit with her.  I also wanted to show Kristen and Jeff where we used to live in Vista.  We moved to Vista from Maryland in 1964 when I was 14, and I lived there till I left home at 22. 




This was realtors card for the house when we bought it.   It was on an acre of land.  There were lemon trees in the back, some fig trees along the side, and there were some kumquat trees along the property line.


As we were standing outside the gate, and explaining to Kristen and Jeff the way it used to be, I think we made the residents a little nervous, so after we took the picture we took off.  I had hoped to visit the little 90+ year neighbor lady I used to babysit for, but she was busy.  I made her a little quilt before I left, and am hoping my sister has a chance to take it to her.  Lighting was bad when I took the picture as it had been raining and the lighting isn't that great in my house if it is raining.  This was from the Star Kissed Quiltalong by Wedding Dress Blue.  I used up a long of my 2.5 inch scrap squares.  


On our way to and from San Diego, about a 6-7 hour trip, I worked on the Crabapple Hill Studio Embroidery Month Stitch Along.






I'm almost finished with all the embroidery.  The next step is to cut these apart, and put a batting between them and a backing and stitching close to the edge of the hearts.  They will then be mounted and framed in a setting all together.  


I also worked on my Kathy Schmitz Woven Wreaths.   I need to finish this up for Slow Sunday Stitching.


Check out the other Hand Stitch Along links below.

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.


KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Connie


For Slow Sunday Stitching I will be working on my Woven Wreaths and my embroidered hearts.  I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  


Next week, on March 7th will be the Dust of a Quilt Book Blog Hop.  I will have the schedule shortly.



Thanks for stopping by!



8 comments:

  1. Love those hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Stitched hearts look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a lovely visit with your family and friends. It is always interesting to look back at the homes we have lived in and how they have changed over the years. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love San Diego - it's one of my favorite places to visit! How fun to go see the house where you grew up, too. I love your Woven Wreaths in red! Enjoy your stitching today, Karrin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon10:26 AM

    I had so much fun visiting with you today. I am a transplant from NY to CA to WA and I remember so well our SD visits, a daughter who lived in Vista - omg that was an amazing first pic of the house and my how time changes everything. Your hand work is always fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:36 PM

    Interesting to see where you used to live. Lots of fun little hearts you have been stitching! Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:05 PM

    What a great week you had a Karrin! I always love seeing your projects, they are so varied and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to see where you used to live. I love the quilt for your neighbor, I am sure she will be sorry she missed you. Your hand work is gorgeous. I am bringing some to my hubs appointment today...I don't do it nearly as often as I used to!

    ReplyDelete