Sunday, March 24, 2024

HQAL, Slow Sunday Stitching

It was another whirlwind busy week.  In between showers this past week, I tried to get outside and get some yard work done.  It was pleasant this week between showers getting into the high 60's and low 70's.  Things are blooming around here between the pesky weeds.  

This area is a big area to weed, and I have about 1/2 of it done.  



The Cymbidium orchid I got at the plant show I worked at last weekend.  I plan to go to the Cymbidium society meeting next week.  



Tuesday night was Begonia Society meeting.  At that meeting we had a speaker from Sac State talking about ferns.  I took one of my ferns in to see if he had ever seen anything like it.  It is a descendent of a fern that has been in my husband's family for 122 years at least.  It looks like a Boston fern, but then it has lacy like leaves, and then some with both traits on one frond.  He said he had never seen anything like it, but it looked like it had mutated a number of times.  I have had this one, and another one for at least 30 years.  



We usually have a drawing for plants at our meetings.  We buy tickets and this time we had begonias and ferns to draw from that our speaker had brought in.    I had the first number called and I chose this staghorn fern.  



I've had this staghorn fern for almost 3 years now.  The orange tree is my neighbors that hangs over my fence.  



Wednesday I had guild meeting, and afterwards went to a brunch for Drew, granddaughter Kyleigh's boyfriend.  His mother, brother and grandmother also joined us.  Drew loved his new camping quilt.  





This week, I finished up this Kathy Schmitz embroidery.


What I will be working on for Slow Sunday Stitching is the binding on my Ella Maria Deacon quilt.  I have 2 more sides to go.   I will be linking up to Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  


This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.


KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Connie



Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. Gosh, having a fern for over 30 years and still thriving is amazing. It's fabulous you get lots of tips and information at these plant societies. A lovely photo of you all at Drew's birthday celebration. His camping quilt is great and the Kathy Schmitz embroidery is a sweet one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow to have a fern last so long - mine always die on me in the winter - I will grow one or two in pots outside in late spring to early fall but if I bring them inside they die

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty quilt! Do you eat some of those oranges?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Kathy Schmitz embroidery is beautiful. I look forward to seeing Ella completely finished. She's a real treasure. It's impressive to have had fern continuity like you have had. That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so great with plants, Karrin! I'm always impressed with all the different things you grow. That Kathy Schmitz design is one of my favorites, and your version is really pretty! Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to win a fern. Your embroidery is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  7. The camping quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon2:21 PM

    Lucky you with the first draw and I love what you picked. I can't get over the fern you have had for the past 30 years. That is absolutely amazing. Your projects are all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:12 PM

    Pretty embroidery. The camping quilt is a perfect gift ! Your gardens look amazing. You certainly have a green thumb Gail at the Cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete