Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Dust off a Quilt Book Blog Hop, Day 3


Welcome to Day 3 of the Dust Off a Quilt Book Blog Hop, and the day I get to share my project.  I'd like to take this opportunity to thank our hostess Bea of Beaquilter for the incentive to make my project.  I have a HUGE number of books  with projects I would like to do in them, and I have been planning to make this project for YEARS!

The project I loved in this book was the sailboat quilt called "Summer Sails.



If you want to skip to the bottom and see my finished project, feel free.  

I just wanted to provide  a little background why I chose this sailboat quilt.  When I first met my husband he had a sailboat, which he had moored in Mission Bay in San Diego.  We would spend the weekends sailing.   We took a celestial navigation course together in the evening, and right before we got married, we sailed to Catalina from San Diego,and back home with no problem.  

This was a picture of that sailboat he had.  His mother painted a picture of it sailing in Mission Bay.



When we moved to Northern California, John built a two masted sailboat, which we took to various locations when our girls were young.  Here if you look really close the girls are on the beach beside the boat.  Our girls are now in their 40's and have children of their own.



John went on to build 6 more boats, including a houseboat which we enjoyed for a number of years.  

Our decor has numerous sailboats, including pictures his mother painted, 


The Star of India in San Diego Bay


We have sailboat models all over the house.  This is a model John made of the 27 foot sailboat he built with two masts.  



We even have a medicine cabinet he built for our bathroom with a porthole and a ship on top.


Anyway I have been waiting for years (since 1996) to make this sailboat quilt. I had the flannel set aside.  When I was working, there just never seemed time.  We no longer sail, my husband is pretty much home-bound and disabled now, but we still have a love of sailboats.

The quilt top went rather quickly even with the hand-applique.  The only problem I had was when I went up to Fedex to get the ship patterns enlarged to 200% as stated in the directions, the guy that helped me did not do it right.  To enlarge the big ship, it need an oversized printer.  I did 4 of the ships, plus the large one before I figured it out.  

Fedex did redo the big one without charge and I was able to finish up.  This is the large ship second time around.



The quilt is 62 x 81 inches.
Flannel top 95%,
Flannel back
Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 Batting

Thanks for visiting my blog and if you have a chance please visit the other blogs on this hop!

Monday Feb 18th

Turid at densyendehimmel
Pamela at Pamelaquilts
Selina at Selinaquilts
Kathleen at Kathleenmcmusing
Tuesday Feb 19th
Jennifer at curlicuecreations
Stephanie at stephjacobsondesigns
Kathy at Kathysquilts
Shasta at high road quilter
Theresa at bumbleberrystitches

Wednesday Feb 20th
Sharon at Vrooman’s quilts
Suzy at Websterquilt
Nancy at patchworkbreeze
Karrin at karrinscrazyworld
Denise at craftraditions

Thursday Feb 21st
Leanne at Devoted Quilter
Jennifer at Dizzyquilter
Lee Anne at Podunk Pretties
Lyndsey at Sew Many Yarns

Friday Feb 22nd
Bea at Beaquilter
Barbara at Bejweledquilts
Marian at seams to be sew
Brenda at songbirddesigns









26 comments:

  1. A wonderful quilt that brings with it so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely background to your quilt. Such special memories for your family. That special quilt will be very cozy. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the completion of a long planned project! Janice.snell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's an awesome boat quilt that I'm sure will be treasured for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Your label is my favorite part of your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful quilt full of boats...what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is beautiful, not just the quilting but the reason behind it. thank you so much for sharing with us a little of the history behind it. i love your medicine cabinet. such a wonderful thing to bind you together. quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful quilt and story! I'm sure that your husband loves it. Glad that you both have such fond memories of sailboating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful quilt. The story was just a wonderful extra for this hop. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful quilt full of memories. Thank you so much for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am landlocked as my partner can no longer navigate the 25' boat we would take out on the ocean. I have on my wish to make list a mariner-themed one.
    We had many wonderful adventures on the sea, (whoops I think there is something in my eye) ... that we can no longer experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved reading your story and seeing all the photos from your sailing years! Your quilt is beautiful, too, and I'm so glad you finally had a chance to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your story Karrin! knowing it make this quilt that much more special, thank you for sharing it and your beautiful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing the story about your sailing lives. The quilt is fabulous and will certainly enhance your home. Sometimes we just need a small nudge to get on with those "must make one day" projects and this blog hop was the perfect inspiration for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very awesome quilt. Really cool sail boats in your home and neat painted pictures. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day! :-) :-) angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great story and a pretty quilt to go with it. I'm glad this hop got you motivated to make that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your story. Love your sail boat quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The memories in this quilt are lovely. What a great quilt for you. Love that you were able to finally make it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a labor of love! I imagine that your DH is absolutely thrilled with this quilt. Thanks for sharing the back story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Karrin, thanks so much for sharing this story with us. It's a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is so amazing! I just love it. And thanks for sharing the story surrounding the the desire to make a sailboat quilt. So glad you have all those wonderful memories. What a treasure !

    ReplyDelete
  21. FAbulous!!! Love all of your nautical pictures

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome quilt, Karrin! I love your label, too - so sweet and clever. What an amazing finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely quilt to have to honor great memories. It is wonderful this blog hop brought you back to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful tribute to your love and life together. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Friends of ours had a sailboat when I was growing up and I remember many wonderful summer days spent sailing and swimming off the boat :) Your sailboat quilt is a wonderful tribute to your sailing days and your husband's fantastic shipbuilding skills.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Karrin, that's a real beauty, and a wonderful memory quilt of those good years. Your inscription is so precious and loving. I never realized John had built so many!

    ReplyDelete